My CR85/ XR100 Conversion Build

wow you are an inspiration to bike builders and welders everywhere. good to see another good rod burner or more likely wire burner. haha most people can only say how good of a welder fabricator they are rather than actually show it. your beads are absolutley perfect. props man props. are you tig weldin all of it? and nice hotrod in the background lookin good.

wow you are an inspiration to bike builders and welders everywhere. good to see another good rod burner or more likely wire burner. haha most people can only say how good of a welder fabricator they are rather than actually show it. your beads are absolutley perfect. props man props. are you tig weldin all of it? and nice hotrod in the background lookin good.

Well, thank you. I used the 'ol mig for the frame but tig for just about everything else. I used mig for the frame 'cause I wanted it to look factory/ stock after powdercoat.

How much did it cost to get all of the parts zinc coated?

About $10. I know... crazy, huh? They do it by weight, and it didn't weigh much. Most places will have a minimum of like $75-$100 for an order, but we do alot so we already meet our minimum. But imo, it would be worth every penny of $75.

just wonderin why would you swap out the cr85 engine for the xr100 . isnt the xr engine much slower? or did you just do the swap for fun?

Well... yea, the XR is in fact going to be less powerful than the CR, but it is a different kind of power. It's more useable on small, backyard tracks. Besides that, I love four strokes. Although I'm using a reletively weak, slow donor motor, the upgrades should almost double the stock XR power. So, I'll end up with an adult/play bike with great suspension and brakes in a motocross chassis that just about anyone can ride yet could still be ridden hard with your buddies. There's been hundreds of similar conversions built and although it may not seem logical, I think most owners would concur.... "They're just, plain FUN!"

just wonderin why would you swap out the cr85 engine for the xr100 . isnt the xr engine much slower? or did you just do the swap for fun?

Because they are sooooooo much fun! This build is incredible! Just curious, why not powdercoat the custom airbox neck?

Because they are sooooooo much fun! This build is incredible! Just curious, why not powdercoat the custom airbox neck?

Thank you. As for the boot being powdercoated, I'm going to. It just wasn't in the picture. I wasn't going to at first 'cause I thought it would give it that custom touch, but then I had to remind myself that my goal was to make it look like it came like this from the factory. So, you're rightit needs to be powdercoated a 60-70% gloss black.

O.K. so here's an update. I had a little problem. As many of you may know, there is a mount on the 100 motors that needs to be cut off in order to get it to sit as far back as possible in the CR chassis. Well, I guess I got a little greedy with my cutting and consequently blew right through the cases when I sandblasted them in prep for paint. I was not planing on splitting the cases but had to in order to clean up my mess. Here's the damage...

Right side

IMG_3463.jpg

Left side

IMG_3464.jpg

Welded-up, smoothed out and all clean thanks to the ultrasonic

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

Painted

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

Now I've got to wait for my case gasket along with new shift shaft, kickstart, and countershaft seals to come in before I can reassemble.

I did get some of the powdercoat back...

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

Hubs with new bearings pressed in and ready to be laced

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg