Sign in to follow this  

09 Fuel Pump...

Any tips on cleaning the screen/filter?? I think mine is clogged and pumps are on backorder..Bike seems to be losing power after a few laps and I am getting a bunch of stalls..

Thanks

i mwith you on this one it would be nice to know if you can just clean it up,iahve heard that alot of people are starting to filter the gas through a funnel int the tank when they fill it i think im gonna start that as well

I used carb cleaner and compressed air. Cleaned it the best I could and the bike has been running great since then. Compressed air is definelty not the best choice for a filter but at the time...... had no choice :p

I used carb cleaner and compressed air. Cleaned it the best I could and the bike has been running great since then. Compressed air is definelty not the best choice for a filter but at the time...... had no choice :p

were you having a problem prior to cleaning it??

Mine is stalling and dies after long moto's. I have had a new fuel pump sent from Honda with only 5 hours on it. I think that replacing the fuel filter or cleaning is the way to go. I might try this carb cleaner and air.:p

were you having a problem prior to cleaning it??

Yes I was... the dreaded no top end power I read about on here. I could only get about 1/3 throttle in 4th and 5th gear (lower gears too but not so noticable). It happened to me at a scrambles race.. First loop no problem... second loop the bike just started loosing power on the top and would not rev... read about the pump problems on here and figured I would just try cleaning the filter because I could not get a pump in time for the next race. After cleaning the filter I have ran two more, two loop scrambles and never had a problem :p

I'm all for the filter & funnel approach but can't decide on a disposable filter? Will a coffee filter work or will the gasoline prove to be too corrosive and make a bigger mess? I haven't had time to experiment with filter options yet.

Seems like cheap & simple insurance.

Remove the tank and turn it upside down, unplug the fuel pump hose( wrap plastic bag around to keep dirt out) and electrical connector, remove the bolts from the bottom plate that holds the fuel pump in. You then pull the pump out.

(Note where the wires plug in coming from the pump motor.) The filter is inside of the pump housing. Three tabs hold the pump together. pull the pump apart and you will see the filter.

Hope this helps

J

I did the same but I also soaked it in K&N cleaner, 90 proof rubbing alcohol and uni filter cleaner. I was super anal about making sure all debris was removed. Contact cleaner and rubbing alcohol seemed to clean the best.

pulled my pump apart and the sock/screen seems like its packed with something??? also did not pay attention to the slots that the 2 wires went into...there are 4 possible slots but only 2 wires...would they go into the 2 inner slots or the 2 outer slots?? and how do you get all that "junk" out of that screen??? thanks!

All that junk is filtering material so it actually stays in there. Just Clean it all out best you can but do not try and remove the "packing" First couple of times I flushed my it was pretty black and then eventually came clean.

The wires.... don't remember but if you look at the wires on the mount you can just line them up if I remember right.

ok..yeah figured out that 's not "junk" inside the screen...cleaned it just as you said...looks good now...but the wire colors do not match up...took me 3 tries to get it correct....black goes with the red......and the other black goes with the green...not sure why they did it like that...but i took my friends bike apart to check..then mine fired right up...

ok..yeah figured out that 's not "junk" inside the screen...cleaned it just as you said...looks good now...but the wire colors do not match up...took me 3 tries to get it correct....black goes with the red......and the other black goes with the green...not sure why they did it like that...but i took my friends bike apart to check..then mine fired right up...

thanks for the info on the wires ,couldnt get my bike started so booked it in to the local shop for next week so i can now cancel and save some serious

bucks :lol::p

do you know which slots they go in??? if not just match up the slots from the main connection....

yes as soon as i saw your post i changed them around and the bike started 2nd kick.