klx 300 shifting peoblems

I have a 2007 klx300r. I bought it used about a month ago. I've only riddin it on the trails about 4 times. After the engine warms up it becomes hard to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd. It just slips into neutral and doesn't want to engage 2nd. If I get it into second it seems to do fine up to 3rd and the rest of the way. I'm wondering if I should try a heavier oil. I'm using 10-50 wt. Or I wonder if it might be a clutch problem. We ride a lot of low speed muddy and rooty trails so that causes the engine to heat up pretty good. Except for that I really like the bike so far. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.

Try a different oil. My XR250 is like that when it is time to change the oil.

With fresh oil it works just fine.

Search for " shift star ".

Ride on

Brewster

break the engine /tranny in for at least 1500 miles if not already,go to wet clutch compatabile synthetic oil, like hot knife thru butter. Shift star should have been taken care of by 07.

Fix the shift star. Mine's an '07, and it most definitely wasn't fixed by the factory. If you pm CO Kid, he may be able to assist you with a modified one at little cost to you. Either that or do it yourself using the instructions on planetKLX.org or you can buy one from fourstrokeworks.biz

I found that synthetic oil blended for motorcycles with a wet clutch also helped with shifting, but only marginally.

Agreed: shift star.

BTW, didn't they claimed to have fixed that for 09?

I also ride a 2007 KLX 300 and have problems missing shifts on the trail. I've ordered the shifter star fix from PLanet klx and will post my experience as soon as it's installed.

I also ride a 2007 KLX 300 and have problems missing shifts on the trail. I've ordered the shifter star fix from PLanet klx and will post my experience as soon as it's installed.

Planet KLX is just a web site..........are you sure that you ordered there?

Ride on

Brewster

Planet KLX is just a web site..........are you sure that you ordered there?

Ride on

Brewster

I think he is referring to the one from fourstrokeworks.biz

My bad - Brewster is correct. I first found it on PLanetklx then bought it at FSW.

I have a 2007 klx300r. I bought it used about a month ago. I've only riddin it on the trails about 4 times. After the engine warms up it becomes hard to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd. It just slips into neutral and doesn't want to engage 2nd. If I get it into second it seems to do fine up to 3rd and the rest of the way. I'm wondering if I should try a heavier oil. I'm using 10-50 wt. Or I wonder if it might be a clutch problem. We ride a lot of low speed muddy and rooty trails so that causes the engine to heat up pretty good. Except for that I really like the bike so far. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.

I can get you hooked up with a modified machined star. Send me yours and I'll send a modified one back with sleeve for $25. Check my sticky above. Many happy customers. Go Green

Somewhere in outerspace is an extra shift star I bought as a "core" for other members of the forum to use, Co Kid any idea where that might be to help others get the mod done?

As a matter of fact I do, Its at the machine shop waiting for some lucky KLX rider.

As a matter of fact I do, Its at the machine shop waiting for some lucky KLX rider.

Outstanding!! :p

Ding Ding, Order-up!! :lol:

Is it just me or is planetklx gone? I tried to get on that website and its up for sale, Do they have a new name?

Is it just me or is planetklx gone? I tried to get on that website and its up for sale, Do they have a new name?

It's still there, just not a .com

www.planetklx.org/

Ride on

Brewster