Top end rebuild

Hi All

Iwas doing a top end rebuild and thought i would post some pic up.

The VHM head nice

Photo0136.jpg

Photo0130.jpg

Photo0140.jpg

I didn't clean the bottom end this is how i found it.

Photo0139.jpg

I notice your piston is a lot more "scruffed" up then mine was when I did mine a couple of months ago....unless I'm just seeing "blurry".

Yes it was scruffed up but not as bad as it look's in the photo.

Ill show what was bad the boysen reeds.

The ok side

Photo0145.jpg

And the bad side

Photo0144.jpg

ooh...no sh*t. I just went to replace my stock reeds with some boyeson reeds I bought on saturday but when I got in there mine looked like brand new so I didnt change them. From what I've been reading the boyesons are good if you change them with every top end, but I've read some posts that said they lasted only a very short period of time in some cases, so I left the stock ones in. How did the cylinder look?

I thought the cylinder looked ok but then i seen this

This is getting rechromed now.

Photo0138.jpg

See just above the export it has been niped.

Yeah, I see the marks...pop back in and post a pic and a final bill when you get it back please.

Ok all I'm upto the final stage of my rebuild but i have ran into a big wall lol. Ok if you look at the top of my piston chamber you will see 2 rubber orings i think that is the VHM head gasket. Now if I'm right i have a big problem because i cant get a VHM gasket any where now i think i can reuse the old would some one recommend that or should i try and use the copper gasket that came with the top end kit any ides on what i should do.

Ok all I'm upto the final stage of my rebuild but i have ran into a big wall lol. Ok if you look at the top of my piston chamber you will see 2 rubber orings i think that is the VHM head gasket. Now if I'm right i have a big problem because i cant get a VHM gasket any where now i think i can reuse the old would some one recommend that or should i try and use the copper gasket that came with the top end kit any ides on what i should do.
That engine doesn't use a copper gasket, it uses o-rings. OEM or aftermarket will work equally well. If you bought a Cometic kit with the piston kit it should have the correct o-rings in it.