dim headlight

anyone know what i could about my stock headlight. i have only rode at night a couple times because my light is so dim i cant see anythig.

anyone know what i could about my stock headlight. i have only rode at night a couple times because my light is so dim i cant see anythig.

More info would be helpful.

Did you go through water recently or wash the bike? Did it sit for a long time without being started?

Things to do:

Start the bike, put a voltmeter across it (assuming that you have one). It should be at least 12.6v. If it's not at least 12.6v, check across the battery. If that's not at least 12.6v (closer to 14v when the engine's running and 12.6v with the engine stopped), you have some sort of a charging problem. Those can get interesting...

Anyway, check the voltage across the headlight connector with the bike running. It may be as simple a fix as cleaning out the connector or replacing a failing bulb.

Things it can be:

bad ground

loose bulb connector

loose connector somewhere else

corrosion in a connector

old bulb (but they usually are brighter than too dim to see)

bad stator

bad regulator

bad battery

or a combination of the above

the bike has been this way since i bought it brand new. thanks for the info though. ill check all my connections out and get a voltmeter.

The stock light is barely adequate to get you off the trail in the dark. Just don't expect to go very fast. It helps a great deal if it is aimed correctly, The night I got caught out after dark I found my headlight to be more suitable for squirrel hunting (fixed) now it is better. There are a multitude of aftermarket options, High output stator to run high output lights, helmet lights etc....

With the stock light it is also helpful to ride a gear low, so the rpm'sstay up to keep the light as bright as possible.

The cheapest way to get a little more light is to get a PIAA bulb.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm#dualsport

Wire in a high/low switch like Rick did or this is the one I used:

http://www.trailtech.net/040-HBS-02.html

That way you can switch from pointing down low for slow stuff to up high for faster stuff.

If you really want some light, and want to spend some money, trailtech sells high output stators and lots of different light options.

i just bought a piaa eXteme white light bulb (Part # 70023). it is so worth it!

it is the cheapest way to get better light without rewinding the stator.

the bike has been this way since i bought it brand new. thanks for the info though. ill check all my connections out and get a voltmeter.

I get a :p for assuming that it's different from how it should be. lol

(It might still be dimmer than normal, I just cant tell from the posts). :lol: