Is this normal? Oil level question?

Ok I just finished and oil change on my drz400s. I put in 2 quarts, start it and let it run for a few minutes. I checked for leaks and didn't see any so I thought it was all good. The next day I came out and checked the oil and there is not a drop on the stick, and there are no puddles under it. After thinking about it I had an older dr350 that was the same way.You can start it and warm it up then let it sit for a minute and check the oil and it looks fine but if you try to check it when its cold and been sitting over night it looks like it don't have a drop in it.

So I am just wondering is this normal? Did I do something wrong with the oil change? I changed the oil and filter and 2 quarts should have been more than enough. And yes I tried checking it leaning on the kickstand, standing up straight, and leaning to the right a little and all three times is shows no oil. So whats the deal?

thanks for any comments

If you ran the bike , then shut it off and waited till the next day to check your not gonna see anything. it's run three minutes, off three minutes then check

The Suzuki Manual says run for 3 minutes and shut off for 3 minutes and check. Some bikes require more time for this check. If you put 2 qts in, you are good.

If you check it cold it will always have a bone dry dip stick. You MUST run the bike for a few first.

Ok I just finished and oil change on my drz400s. I put in 2 quarts, start it and let it run for a few minutes. I checked for leaks and didn't see any so I thought it was all good. The next day I came out and checked the oil and there is not a drop on the stick, and there are no puddles under it. After thinking about it I had an older dr350 that was the same way.You can start it and warm it up then let it sit for a minute and check the oil and it looks fine but if you try to check it when its cold and been sitting over night it looks like it don't have a drop in it.

So I am just wondering is this normal? Did I do something wrong with the oil change? I changed the oil and filter and 2 quarts should have been more than enough. And yes I tried checking it leaning on the kickstand, standing up straight, and leaning to the right a little and all three times is shows no oil. So whats the deal?

thanks for any comments

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769901&highlight=oil+level

+1

The Suzuki Manual says run for 3 minutes and shut off for 3 minutes and check. Some bikes require more time for this check. If you put 2 qts in, you are good.

Exactly, it's a dry sump, so if you look in the manual, after sitting the oil will fall into to bottom, you need to let it run for a few min, let the oil warm up and run thru-out the motor, then wait 3 min, then CHECK the level.

also when checking you oil level hold your bike upright.

I find the 3min x 3min rule doesn't always work. If you put two qts in it and it hasn't leaked, your good! Ride it!