Dim Lights But Bike Runs OK ??

Hello,

My first post to this great forum, I have an 87 XR600R, Trouble is the lights both back and front are really dim and no horn, the bike runs/starts well so does that mean the alternator/Stator is good and I should be checking another electrical component ie AC Regulator ? a few hints from people who know would be really helpful,

Regards from Pembrokeshire,

Alfie

welcome aboard...

on the 600 & the 650R the is a seperate winding for the ignition an another for the lights, etc...

cud be a number of things...

...bad connections/wiring...failing regulator...failing stator/broken windings

i wud download the manual and test the voltage outputs...clean and use a little dielectric grease on the connections while ur at it :p

:lol:

Thanks for that, interesting to hear there is diferent windings on the stator for diferent parts of the electrical system, I thought it worked as a single unit.

I spent the afternoon going through what you suggested, I also took the alternator out, it looks as if it was made in the stoneage, with only 4 coils seperated by a black box, there was a small ammount of oil at the bottom of the alternator compartment, is this normal ?

Put the lot back together and lights still very dim so have ordered a new Alternator and Regulator, cant do any harm (except to the bank account!)

Cheers

Phil

i tend to test components before replacing them but it's ur $$$ :cry:

both the 600R and 650L stators are "wet"...so some oil on that side is normal :p

i tend to test components before replacing them but it's ur $$$ :cry:

both the 600R and 650L stators are "wet"...so some oil on that side is normal :p

What about the 650R ? Is is wet or dry? I am looking into getting more output from my stator. My headlight dims a lot when i hit the brakes at night. Is it better to rewind or replace the stator?

What about the 650R ? Is is wet or dry? I am looking into getting more output from my stator. My headlight dims a lot when i hit the brakes at night. Is it better to rewind or replace the stator?

the R stator is "dry"...

rewind ur own or replace w/ a Ricky Stator(rewound)...

:p

P.S. with the 650R u can just remove the cover to access...the L or the 600R u ether drain the oil or i heard u can lay the bike over.

Leaning the bike over works fine. It will make the oil flow to the other side of the engine.

The euro XR600's are different. They came street legal if I remember correctly. All 10 lighting poles have windings and the bike has a DC regulator with a battery. Kind of like the XL600 here in the states. Not sure if it had an AC coil for the headlight and a DC system for everything else like the XL.

The bike has a magneto style ignition. The ignition is completely separate fromt he lighting. That's why the engine still runs well.

Thanks for all the advice, After going over all the components and cleaning connectors I did test the output of the stator with a voltmeter and was only getting just over 9 volts when revving hard so I thats why I went for Sator replacement, and as the output will be higher than the one fitted thought a suitable upsized regulator was also needed,

will let you know if the new gear improves the situation.

There is no battery on this Bike and the stator (see photo) has only 4 windings, can anyone tell if it is original ??

Thanks again all !

Phil

(Pembrokeshire)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/alfienoalkes/RIMG0071.jpg

Definitely not original Honda windings. Looks like a US type stator with the four poles.

Thanks

Wait 9 volts unplugged from everything?

And you selected AC voltage on your test equipment?

I will go back and check it again,