KX250F Camshaft caps

Hi everyone. I bought a new KX250F 2004 head, but i comes without the cams' caps:confused: I sent a message to the person but I do not the answer.... In worst case can I use the caps that I have in the existing (working) head. Last time that I checked seems in good condition.....

Unfortunately that is not ok.

The caps are machined together with the head.

Hi D-K. Yes I know it. Do you think that a good workshop can fix so the cams cap fit to this head? I believe that I will not found the original cams caps....

If someone could machine them or fix them it would be engine dynamics in California. They repaired my cam journal and it's been working great.

hmmmmm have they a web site? Imaballa I am live in Greece and it is difficult to sent it in California... I sent a message to a workshop here in Greece and I am waiting their reply.

I didnt realize you were in Greece but here is the address.

www.enginedynamics.com

Well, the proper way would be to install the correct cam caps.

Will it work with just any caps? Well... Nobody knows for sure, it might work... If you are lucky:thumbsup:

But I guess it will be hard to find undamaged caps without a complete head.

And then you still don´t know if it will work... tricky one...

I install the old tha I have from an other head with the camshaft and seems ok.... however I do not measure the journal clearance with press gauge to see who much is it... When I installed without the cams the edge from the caps and the egdge from the head are rectilineal..... I can not see something wrong.... in these... of course a close inspection is nessesary and maybe can much....

Hey guys. I know that it is not right nore the way you are supposed to do it. But i broke a cam cap on my 2005. It crack in half. So i found a new one on ebay, I guess the gyu trashed his head and didnt know they were a match set. Anyway I got it for like $5. I put it on and used plasti gauge to see if everything was going to work or not. Anyway it seemed good. I put it together and rode it for the rest of the 2005 GNCC series. Sold the bike to a buddy, he sold it to another friend that put a 290cc kit in it and its still running just fine. It is actually sitting in my shop on the lift right now i was checking the valves and chaning a tire for the kid. Anyway it is worth a try cause if not you have to get a whole new head anyway.

Hey guys. I know that it is not right nore the way you are supposed to do it. But i broke a cam cap on my 2005. It crack in half. So i found a new one on ebay, I guess the gyu trashed his head and didnt know they were a match set. Anyway I got it for like $5. I put it on and used plasti gauge to see if everything was going to work or not. Anyway it seemed good. I put it together and rode it for the rest of the 2005 GNCC series. Sold the bike to a buddy, he sold it to another friend that put a 290cc kit in it and its still running just fine. It is actually sitting in my shop on the lift right now i was checking the valves and chaning a tire for the kid. Anyway it is worth a try cause if not you have to get a whole new head anyway.

I agree, it´s worth a try.

You will notice right away if the cam spins freely or not. If it spins freely when tightened down and all seems good, just run it.

The machines used to manufacture these engines are really accurate, so even though the parts are "matched" to each other, they are really close mixed and matched too...

I agree KX693 and D-K. Yesterday I put the cams and I tight the caps bolts to the right torgue as the manual says. There is not free play of the cams and the spin without problem (same way as on the head that I have now on the bike). There are some minimal slight scores on cams' caps journal but the head that I use have the same not only on the caps but also in the head side. I have arranged to sent it also to a work shop doing these type jobs only to have a second opinion and the measurements.

Just make sure you check them again after the first ride.

Yes Imaballa... On Monday I am going to buy plastigeuge to measure the clearance between in and ex camshafts with the cams' caps....

Also, if you check in the sticky up top on valve shimming, the tq spec in the manual is wrong. The guy was using less tq than the manual recommended. Always check the stickies first.

I believe they are supposed to be torqued to 87 in/lb

Yes I read it somewhere here.... It less as I can understant than 12 N-m or 1.2 Kg or 104 in-lb. In this torgue the cams start stick and spin very difficult... Thank you friends!!!! Do you think that it is good to try to repair the minor scores in the caps? or may it is better to leave it as it is.....????

It´s 10 Nm.

Do you have a pic of the damage to the journal/cap?

Maybe better to just leave it as is...

Yes, I think, if the clearance is ok... I will not do something to the scares....

?action=view&current=head.jpg

head.jpg

oh yea those caps are scored