Tube Size?

I recently put on a set of Anakee tires on my DR650. I went with one size wider on the rear to 130. In three weeks, I had two flats with road driving only. I took the rim/tire in to the dealer to get a new inner tube put in and asked that they save to old one to see what was going on with these flats. I picked up the rim/tire and the old inner tube and found out that they had put in a 3.25-3.50 inner tube the time before. I also notice very fine hair line rips in the inner tube. I suggested that they had put in the wrong tube and that it was over stretching due to the tire width and causing inner tube failures and asked for a refund for the previous service charge. The dealer disagreed with me and stated that they do this all the time and would not give me a credit. This just can't be right!!! I do know this time that the dealer installed a tube for a 5.10 tire width this time. My next purchase will be tire irons and a lesson on tire changes.

go back and get that money back, what they did was dangerous amd life threatening

If it was in fact the wrong tube for the tire (not familiar with " sizes) I would definitely ask for my money back. Whether they "do it all the time without problems" is completely irrelevant, there is a reason why a manufacturer gives size recommendations.

That being said, getting the necessary tools to maintain such a simple bike as the DR is definitely a good investment. I can recommend the aluminum Motion Pro T6 tire levers with the right sized wrench for your axles on the other end. (rear is 24mm, front I think 19mm). Awesome multi-use tool and incredibly light.

I would like to get my money back but thats a no go, they just refuse. It's not worth the effort to pursue it further because $25.00 for the tube and labor cost are not worth my time. But for $25.00, they have lost a customer for good. I just feel lucky the tire went flat in my garage and not on the road.

My dealer scared me into learning to do it myself by charging $50 apiece....

Bought about 30 bucks worth of irons and tools (cant have too many tools, right?), first one took probably an hour start to finish, 2nd one about half that. Balanced and all. Better to learn how in your garage rather than along side of a road.

I would like to get my money back but thats a no go, they just refuse. It's not worth the effort to pursue it further because $25.00 for the tube and labor cost are not worth my time. But for $25.00, they have lost a customer for good. I just feel lucky the tire went flat in my garage and not on the road.

They lost you as a customer + all other riders from here that are in your area. Name the damn dealer so he feels it on his bottom line.

I spoke ill about a dealer after giving them a chance to make amends (which they didn't), then emailed in a letter and attached my thread on the respective site. Received a call an hour later apologizing. So I did a follow-up post explaining what the dealer did to make amends. The power of the internet does have it's benefits.

I won't name the dealer by name because I don't know if the forum allows that but I will say it's the only Suzuki/kawsaki/BMW dealer in Lakeville Minnesota. Anyone who lives in the Mpls/St. Paul area should know who this dealer is. I would like to get a response from them but I won't hold my breath.

I won't name the dealer by name because I don't know if the forum allows that but I will say it's the only Suzuki/kawsaki/BMW dealer in Lakeville Minnesota. Anyone who lives in the Mpls/St. Paul area should know who this dealer is. I would like to get a response from them but I won't hold my breath.

PLease don't give up....I have been riding BMW Bikes for 12 years and I will tell you, BMW Motorrad USA takes it VERY SERIOUSLY how their dealers treat their customers:eek:

Go on to the BMW USA website & look for some contact information....then make the call...it'll go something like this "Hey, BMW Motorrad USA, I just thought you should know that your BMW Dealer in Lakeville, MN is doing faulty maintenance...and then when I pointed it out them, they basically told me to stick it and go away.....Geeze, and I really thought that BMW was one of the Premier Motorcycle Marques in the world!!!!...Well, at least I used too!! This is no way to treat customers.....Just thought you should know."

Yes, I know your bike was not a BMW, but if that dealer is utilizing the incorrect parts on other bikes, they could also be doing it on BMW Bikes too

Your complaint is against Leo's South and that gives BMW a BAD NAME:smirk:

Call up BMW & let us know what happens:thumbsup:

Here's your contact info:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Contact Us

Since the first one rolled out back in 1923 we have been building motorcycles for real riders. You, with your love of the ride and high standards for performance, have driven us to keep innovating, keep refining, keep improving. So if you have something to say, good or bad, we want to hear it.

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST. Mon-Fri, if someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

I know it's only $25 but go over there and nicely ask them for a refund or you will report them to the Better Business Bureau and sue them in small claims court. Tell you would rather settle this with a simple refund, past practice of a wrong practice is no defense. Even if you don't intend to sue them, tell them you will.

It worked for me over an $800 repair on a VW Cabrio. I just called VW to ask for a street address where to deliver the subpoena, within 2 hours the local dealer called me to inform me that VW was paying for repairs.

Flea

Even down here in the colonies we have the "Consumer guarantees act" , that states "A product MUST be fit for the purpose that it was sold" .

Go back to the dealer and ask him to refund, remind him that good news doesn`t travel far or fast but bad news does. And I think you guys have a criminal charge of "Reckless endangerment of life" don`t you? His practice certainly fits this bill. If you had had a accident because of a tube blow out (sorry, but if it was fatal). He could be charged with something like this, ( spend the next few years as Bubba`s bunk mate) and be sued. Mention this to him and watch his reaction. We have similar things over here, where mechanics can and have been charged with manslaughter over faulty workmanship and vehicle inspections.

Good luck.