2003 xr100r wont stay running

Cleaned the carb, the only jet I dont think is clear is the pilot jet (its got such a small hole in it that its hard to clean) everything else is 100% clean. The gas in the tank is a little old as I didint have fresh gas, but she fires up and idles nice with the choke on. At an idle if you were to remove the choke it will just bog and shut off like someone cut the fuel. If I am riding the bike with the choke on, and then switch it off it will run fine untill you loose momentum. What do you guys think I should do, buy a new pilot jet? Thanks

Its your pilot jet. See if you can get a small piece of wire thru it like a brisle off a wire brush. That usualy does if for me. People will tell you not to use wire but I find that sometimes its the best way to clear a jet.

The problem with wire is that it can scratch the hole. The hole is so small that the scratch can affect the size.

The problem with wire is that it can scratch the hole. The hole is so small that the scratch can affect the size.

yea I know Ive heard that as well. Problem if its really plugged the only answer is to replace it. So at that point you have nothing to loose by trying the wire trick. It it works great. If not then you have to replace it anyways.

And so far I have never gouged up a jet using wire to clean it out. Can it happen..yes..will it..probably not.

I just use compressed air. It seems to work every time.

I just use compressed air. It seems to work every time.

Last time I tried to shoot 110psi thru a #35 pilot jet I shot it into the darkest recesses of my garage never to be seen again :p

I usually find something like that when I get home with the new one.

zip on over to the hardware store with your pilot jet and look for a piece of Brass wire to poke thru it. Heck when you test the size you will clean it right out and then you won't even need to buy the wire.

thanks for the help. I tryed to use a bristle off a wire brush and its too big for the jet. The jet size I have here is a 35s I guess I will replace it and see if she will run and start easier then with the choke on.

Last time I tried to shoot 110psi thru a #35 pilot jet I shot it into the darkest recesses of my garage never to be seen again :lol:

:cry::p:lol:

thanks for the help. I tryed to use a bristle off a wire brush and its too big for the jet. The jet size I have here is a 35s I guess I will replace it and see if she will run and start easier then with the choke on.

If you have an old throttle/clutch cable laying around try cutting a chunk outta that. The spiral wound wire works pretty well for cleaning out a jet.

well when I was looking in the jet it looked like there was such a small hole in there, impossible perhaps to fit anything through. I was going to go the store, to find some wire thin enough to fit then my dad called me and told me he got it unplugged using a wire. So the problem is fixed and you guys were right