Buying helmet

Getting gear together. Helmets - what's the most popular, known for it's protection excellence - helmet? What factors does one consider beside safety? For hot weather, is there a ventilated helmet that is a consensus favorite for MX? Or is it such a flooded filed that just pick something up?

The best helmet is going to be the one that fits you the best, feels comfortable, and you feel has good value (good return for your money). It should also be rated with a widely recognized body (ECE, Snell, etc). Some are considered better/safer than others. However, proper fit is key. You can have the "best" helmet out there, but if it doesn't fit your head the way it should, it won't do squat to protect you.

Arai, Shoei, Airoh, Suomy, Bell, Shark are associated with high end helmets, but there are other good ones out there.

With that said, I chose a Shoei to replace my old helmet recently, and I'm happy with it.

I'd say Arai or Shoei but I'm switching to Bell helmets. I had been using Arai for the last 5 years but I really like the Bell helmets and with the economy the way it is right now I'll take a good Bell helmet for under $250.00 over a $500.00 Aria. Aria wants $75.00-$100.00 for a new visor. Between my son and I we have broken 3 visors over the last 4 months. That price is rediculous for a visor its just plastic for petes sake. Just my .02

Before spending a big chunk of money on a helmet that has a great PR and advertising company working for them, go to the Motorcyclist magazine website and look up the article "Blowing he lid off helmets". It is a very enlightening read and will give you information that will make your helmet shopping easier and more economical because you'll be well informed.

I won't venture an opinion except to say when you know all the facts you will realize that many "name" helmets are horrendously overpriced and that some standards are overrated and oversold to motorcyclists.

Who pays retail for top quality equipment? If you have the patience, you can find the best equipment on-line for the cost of junk! How much is your time worth? If you spent 4 hours on-line and saved $500 over your local shops prices, that would be a good investment, no? I had to buy all new this year after my gear bag got ripped off. Here are quick examples: Shoei V Moto helmet: $121 delivered. Gaerne SG10's :$160.00 MSR gore-tex pants: $80.00 delivered. Take your time and look! Start with ebay auctions.

Who pays retail for top quality equipment? If you have the patience, you can find the best equipment on-line for the cost of junk! How much is your time worth? If you spent 4 hours on-line and saved $500 over your local shops prices, that would be a good investment, no? I had to buy all new this year after my gear bag got ripped off. Here are quick examples: Shoei V Moto helmet: $121 delivered. Gaerne SG10's :$160.00 MSR gore-tex pants: $80.00 delivered. Take your time and look! Start with ebay auctions.

Could you tell me where you found this stuff. I look on ebay all the time.

By the way I wear a shoei v moto status and its the best helmets I have ever owned. I will be trying the vfx-w for my next helmet.

I got a Shoei VFX-W TC9 sabre for 230$ shipped to my door from motoxdepot.com. On the site it was listed for 478 but then for some odd reason they called me an offered me that deal.

Anyways, my new shoei is so nice. It fits my head so good an is so vented out. I have a ton of breathing room since it is vented out a lot. Also, i like the fact that the lining is very easy to take out an put it back in making it good for washing. I also like the goggle spot on the outside of the helmet. My goggles stay put in it an it makes it feel like i don't even have goggles on.

I have yet to have a complaint about the helmet so far, except for the 478$ price tag. But in my mind, the 478$ price tag is by far worth it.

In my mind, it all really comes down to how much you care about your head. If i were you, i'd go with a 250-500$ helmet. I wouldn't mess around with the ones around 100$, you can break them with your hands if you tried. ?

Are those prices for new or used? Well done if new.

I had a Thor helmet that I took a good header on and was dazed and seeing stars. Since then I won't ride with anything less than an Arai. Funny cuz thats all I use when I'm streeting it and, have seen my friends take some really bad falls on the supermoto track and bounce right up. But, ever since banging my knoggin' its nothing less than the best.

WOW! I thought I did well with my VFX-W FC3 at $425! If you can line me up another W for $230, I will have a spare on the shelf!!! How did you pull that off???!!!!

I got a Shoei VFX-W TC9 sabre for 230$ shipped to my door from motoxdepot.com. On the site it was listed for 478 but then for some odd reason they called me an offered me that deal.

Anyways, my new shoei is so nice. It fits my head so good an is so vented out. I have a ton of breathing room since it is vented out a lot. Also, i like the fact that the lining is very easy to take out an put it back in making it good for washing. I also like the goggle spot on the outside of the helmet. My goggles stay put in it an it makes it feel like i don't even have goggles on.

I have yet to have a complaint about the helmet so far, except for the 478$ price tag. But in my mind, the 478$ price tag is by far worth it.

In my mind, it all really comes down to how much you care about your head. If i were you, i'd go with a 250-500$ helmet. I wouldn't mess around with the ones around 100$, you can break them with your hands if you tried. ?

WOW! I thought I did well with my VFX-W FC3 at $425! If you can line me up another W for $230, I will have a spare on the shelf!!! How did you pull that off???!!!!

I dont even know man. I was gonna get the VFX-W, but then i was just thinking about saving the extra 80 bucks an just buying the Shoei Preston model. I was ordering online an the Preston model said free shipping, but once you put in all your information an everything, it was 8.00$ shipping. Well i was pissed so i ended up calling motoxdepot an the guy told me a certain code to put in. So i put it in, got home from work the next day with a message from the same guy. I figured there was a problem or something. I gave him a ring an he asked me if i would rather have a brand new Sabre TC9 model for 230$ instead of the old 08 preston. I figured it was better off not asking why it was so cheap, so i just told him yes. I got free shipping with it too! Couldn't be happier. ?

I dont even know man. I was gonna get the VFX-W, but then i was just thinking about saving the extra 80 bucks an just buying the Shoei Preston model. I was ordering online an the Preston model said free shipping, but once you put in all your information an everything, it was 8.00$ shipping. Well i was pissed so i ended up calling motoxdepot an the guy told me a certain code to put in. So i put it in, got home from work the next day with a message from the same guy. I figured there was a problem or something. I gave him a ring an he asked me if i would rather have a brand new Sabre TC9 model for 230$ instead of the old 08 preston. I figured it was better off not asking why it was so cheap, so i just told him yes. I got free shipping with it too! Couldn't be happier. ?

Call and tell him I will do 250 on a black one!!! Great Deal, CONGRATS!

Call and tell him I will do 250 on a black one!!! Great Deal, CONGRATS!

Call them up, it didn't seem like a great shop when i called. I think its only 1 guy that runs it or something. It seemed that way atleast.

Just say a buddy of mine got one for 230$ an you want the same deal! haha