2-stroke YZ's: what made them MXA's bike of the year

it'd be interesting to find a page with all the "whats hot" and "whats not" throughout the years to see what we take for granted and back in the day wasnt even a thought ahaha.

MXA's bike of the years was typically thier shoot out winners no criteria no readers voted on it. It is what they thought at the time I loved how from 1996 on it was all YZ 125 cept for one year. interesting on thier 250 results all other mags would of had you thinking it was the CR 250 especially in the mid 90's.

That one cover talks about the new '87 ATK 125 mx'er I totally forgot they did that for one year I never saw one in person saw 250 or the 406 on occasion.

MXA's bike of the years was typically thier shoot out winners no criteria no readers voted on it. It is what they thought at the time I loved how from 1996 on it was all YZ 125 cept for one year. interesting on thier 250 results all other mags would of had you thinking it was the CR 250 especially in the mid 90's.

That one cover talks about the new '87 ATK 125 mx'er I totally forgot they did that for one year I never saw one in person saw 250 or the 406 on occasion.

Being in Utah, where the atk's were made, I saw a few of them. One shop often had them on the salesfloor. I know they are still around, but I wish they would have been able to source Japanese motors.

The bikes were amazing. All the good parts were on them from day one. The stuff you paid extra for on everything else. The workmanship was to die for. beautiful frames with perfect welds. The cost was high, but sort of reasonable for what it was.

The bikes were amazing. All the good parts were on them from day one. The stuff you paid extra for on everything else. The workmanship was to die for. beautiful frames with perfect welds. The cost was high, but sort of reasonable for what it was.

That's the whole KTM argument now. "Ready to Race" - right out of the box.:p

That's the whole KTM argument now. "Ready to Race" - right out of the box.:p

KTM does claim that, dont they? ATK had Talon hubs, excel rims, Ohlins shocks, fork options..just about anything you could dream up.

I would have considered one, but I never like owning exotic stuff. The parts nightmares I always worried about. This article is a little old, but probably tells the story better.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/atk-1997-16148.html

....I loved how from 1996 on it was all YZ 125 cept for one year....

that being said, the YZ125 is indeed such a sweet bike to have.

i also like the way how my impression about the bike is likewise stamped by MXA's experts haha! :p

That's the whole KTM argument now. "Ready to Race" - right out of the box.:lol:

:p:lol::cry:

....interesting on thier 250 results all other mags would of had you thinking it was the CR 250 especially in the mid 90's....

yeah, surprising that yami got some in the 90's eh!

this is the only CR250 i've ever dreamed of having:

141071259zdirtrider25ye.jpg

mcgrath's famous '96 CR250