Shinko 244 Dual-Sport Tire

I have just finished using the search function and doing a lot of reading. I read that Shinko 244's are referenced, but I see no evaluations or feedback on how these tires are working for folks.

I have a set of Shinko 712's on my Dual-Sport Beast, which are a 100% street tire and they are really good, but I need a couple of sets for my XL600's. Having to buy two sets of rubber, I am looking for value and these tires are priced right!

Can anyone give some feedback on how the 244's are doing for them? How about.....

Mileage?

Pavement/Cornering Performance?

Wet Pavement Performance?

Loose Dirt/Sand Performance?

08Shinko244SeriesLG.gif

if you use the AMA member discount @ BikeBandit.com they are very cheap. The front was less than $20. :p For that price I could not pass it up. I have not had a chance to ride with it yet but they look cool :lol:

That is very good information. Sounds to me like "chunking" can occur with any tire and most always happens when the tire get too hot due to overloading or running the tire underinflated.

I think I am going to go ahead and give the 244's a shot. On our XL600's, we are quiet a bit lighter than a loaded down KLR and a 250lb rider.

I'll purchase, mount and ride the tires and try to remember to come back to this thread to update on my thoughts and opinions.

I just ordered two sets of 244's. Once we get 'em mounted and put some miles on them, I will report back on what we think.

Ive got 1000 miles on a set on my xt225, and about 10 miles on my dr350

they are good tires for the money.

I wouldnt expect more than 3000-4000 miles out of the rear on a heavy bike, but thats a guess, at a few hundred miles on my small bike, the rear is just starting to show wear.

handle mud/gravel/rodas , wet roads, as expected, not GREAT, but stickier than my newbie riding skills need.

they are slightly noisey, they howl at speeds.

Ill buy another set most likely, they are a great tire value/bargain in my opinion.

Ive got 1000 miles on a set on my xt225, and about 10 miles on my dr350

they are good tires for the money.

I wouldnt expect more than 3000-4000 miles out of the rear on a heavy bike, but thats a guess, at a few hundred miles on my small bike, the rear is just starting to show wear.

handle mud/gravel/rodas , wet roads, as expected, not GREAT, but stickier than my newbie riding skills need.

they are slightly noisey, they howl at speeds.

Ill buy another set most likely, they are a great tire value/bargain in my opinion.

Holly Moly....4k on the rear!!!! If I can get 4k on the rear of a $30 tire, I'm a happy camper!

Yesterday, I hosted a Tech Day at my house. One of the chores was the boys mounting up their 244's. As we ride more, I will report back on the performance.

Picture026.jpg

Picture.jpg

I have read some pretty good reviews and can't beat the price, gonna order a set soon. Anyone mount a 5:10 on a Honda XRL? Any fit problems? I read a review that claims they are on the "narrow side" of the range. I'm thinking a 5:10 will be no problem.

thats a wild ass guess, from looking at the barely visible wear showing at 1000 Miles.

did mostly huighway, some fireroad trip last weekend, 160 miles, some 80mph ( speedo) downhills.

Tires worked well.

they do howl on the highway at speeds.

Holly Moly....4k on the rear!!!! If I can get 4k on the rear of a $30 tire, I'm a happy camper!

For the past few weeks, the boys and I have had the chance to put the Shinko's to the test.

Twice we have ridden a lot of single track on our 600's, through a lot of rough and steep trails in a lot of rocks. We haven't torn a single knobbie and the tires seem very tough. In some deep gravel and sand, I found myself wishing I had a very aggressive knobby, but hey....I also need a pavement tire. These 244's are very, very good for the money!

On the pavement with 30psi, the tires are wonderful in the twisties. We don't notice any 'creeping' in the corners and they really inspire confidence.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

I just installed a set of Shinko 244's last night (and this morning :thumbsup: ) on my DR 350. 10 miles or so on them so far and no complaints. I ride 95% street (including frequent 40 mile trips down the freeway) and maybe 5% logging roads. More later.

My experience with mounting them was interesting. The front slid on like a well sized condom, but I fought the rear for two freaking hours. In the process I destroyed a tube (which I should have replaced anyway) and invented a whole new language composed entirely of profanity.

Anybody else able to comment on this?

I have a rear on my DRZ it's wearing pretty fast i think. It does work pretty good though.

I just installed a set of Shinko 244's last night (and this morning :thumbsup: ) on my DR 350. 10 miles or so on them so far and no complaints. I ride 95% street (including frequent 40 mile trips down the freeway) and maybe 5% logging roads. More later.

My experience with mounting them was interesting. The front slid on like a well sized condom, but I fought the rear for two freaking hours. In the process I destroyed a tube (which I should have replaced anyway) and invented a whole new language composed entirely of profanity.

Anybody else able to comment on this?

The backs were tough to get on, but we were able to do it in about 10 minutes with two of us. It really helps if you set them out in the sun to heat up first.

By the way, if you are riding mostly pavement....keep the PSI above 30 and they will last longer.

Can anyone tell me how narrow the fronts run? I'm looking at a 2.75-19 for my wifes CRF150F dual sport (with XR200 engine) I'm a little nervous about the width, but these are almost the only game in town for this size. IRC has a 2.75 -19, and it's got reall small tread blocks on it and is also narrow.

Thanks for any help,

Toby

mtnadvrider those are some nice lookin old Honda's!

I've got a rear 244 coming in the mail. Seems like it's similar to the 270 but maybe less flexing. I was happy with the 270 on the REAR of my 650. I'm hoping the 244 works out nicely on the rear of my KLX300. (front looks too smooth for me so I went with a little more aggressive tread)

Time will tell how they do for me! :thumbsup:

I put a set of 244's on my DR350 before I sold it, decent in the dirt, pretty good on pavement, and about $65 per set on motorcycle superstore. Gonna be tough to beat for a true dual sport tire.

mtnadvrider those are some nice lookin old Honda's!

I've got a rear 244 coming in the mail. Seems like it's similar to the 270 but maybe less flexing. I was happy with the 270 on the REAR of my 650. I'm hoping the 244 works out nicely on the rear of my KLX300. (front looks too smooth for me so I went with a little more aggressive tread)

Time will tell how they do for me! :thumbsup:

Thanks.....we loved those bikes.....sold them both.

But, still buying the 244....for my NX. For the money, really like the tire.

I recently put the 244 up front on my DR650. I've had better dual sport tires for pavement. But it works pretty well on fire roads and mild off road.

On road it moves the DR around quite a bit, induces wobbles too. In the twisties its not great and can step out a bit if pushed too hard. So my advice ... explore limits in steps. I have a rear sitting in the garage ... waiting for a dual sport ride . I'm running an Avon Distanzia on the rear which is great on pavement, not an off road tire at all.

So, in summary, the 244 front is a bit dangerous on a DR650 on pavement at speed. But if doing mostly dirt, its great and so cheap.

For road work on the DR I like the Shinko 705, stock trail wing (great tire up front on pavement), Pirelli Trail, IRC GP-1 or Distanzia. All good and last forever. But the 244 for the money is the best 50/50 tire ... just slow down a bit on twisty roads.

I put 3000 miles on a set of these last year with my XR400. I loved them. Got them for only $75 for the set at motorcycle superstore. Id say they have about 35-45% tread left on them. They do both dirt and street equally good while not being perfect for either. I've always felt that I could go wherever I wanted with these tires. I ride primarily on the road, But like to hit the occasional trail on most rides. I would recommend these to anyone. Great bang for the buck.