Getting ready for the Baja 500

We are planning on riding the baja 500 in class 20. We are going to ride a

250f, we do not have much experience on this bike so we are in need of some advice. What modifications do you guys recomend, we want a reliable bike. I looked for oil coolers and bigger radiators but are they necessary, the bike already has a larger gas tank, exhaust and suspension. Thanks for the advice. Forgot to mention it is a 2007 yz250f

what did you forget? pictures of course!

had you thought about a 290 kit maybe?

what kind of tank? steering damper?

oh man, there's so many details .....

I thought about doing the b1k earlier this year .....

but maybe next year instead?

keep us all updated on your progress!

I loved Dust to Glory, great film. Made me want to put together a team and run it just for fun.

I do not have any pictures yet I will post them when I get some.

The 290 kit is a no since the class can only be up to a 250cc motor.

As far as the bike it has a GPR stabilizer, fmf exhaust, ims gas tank and a few other minor details. My question was regarding ways to make it more reliable, we will run a fairly hard pace so we need to make it last as long as possible. The motor is acctually pretty stock for this reason but we were wondering about oil coolers and things of that nature.

Runing baja is like nothing else, for anyone with a doubt watch dust to glory and it is even better than that.

Boyesen Supercooler Kit - any assistance with keeping the bike cooler will make for a better race.

Hinson Clutch Products - a durable clutch is a must.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines - keep the brakes working under extremes.

Oil Cooler - keep the engine as cool as possible.

Just a few ideas.

tires? what are you using inside?

I have plans to use tireballs .....

You might look into running a WR transmission; I believe it's around 15-20 mph faster while still having lower speed gears for the tighter sections. A coolant catch tank would also be a good investment for the desert.

Lights, O-ring chain, steel rear sprocket, geared to the moon, bolts loctite and safety wired. Tons of pit support and 30 volunteers, gps, satelite radios, helicopters, and your own security force and a note on the triple clamps that says, "Stay off the clutch!" ;o)

Here's a link.

http://www.baja500.com/Before_You_Go_Baja.html

Lights, O-ring chain, steel rear sprocket, geared to the moon, bolts loctite and safety wired. Tons of pit support and 30 volunteers, gps, satelite radios, helicopters, and your own security force and a note on the triple clamps that says, "Stay off the clutch!" ;o)

Here's a link.

http://www.baja500.com/Before_You_Go_Baja.html

for the lights you'll have to do the "float the ground" mod

You might look into running a WR transmission; I believe it's around 15-20 mph faster while still having lower speed gears for the tighter sections. A coolant catch tank would also be a good investment for the desert.

wr transmission sounds like a great idea!

tires? what are you using inside?

I have plans to use tireballs .....

We have had good luck with using heavy duty tubes. We were planing on riding with "moose" (spelling) but note very sure.

Is it easy to do. How much money are we talking about for this mod. It does seem like a great idea.

Should've gone with the WR. It would have suited the race better. That suspension's gonna be rough for a 500 mile ride...even if you're switching up.

Hard to do depends on your mechanical skills. It would require you to do a complete teardown of your engine; take off the top end, split the cases, install WR gears, and bolt back together. This would give you a good feel of the bike though and you would know about any rough bearings before the race. It would be a bolt on job; the engines are the same except for the cams and the gearing. Not sure for the amount, you can go to the oem shop here at the parts store and look at the part numbers for the transmission, not sure if they use the same shift forks or not, shafts should be the same, price the gears and any other part number that is different. Probably around 300 dollars or so if you do it yourself.

Race looks awesome...would love to try that as well sometime. Good luck to you.

I would ask this question in the Baja forum. Most guys ride red down there, as you know, but there are some Yamahas.

I have never raced Baja, but have ridden plenty of miles down there. I assume you have as well, and that your question about bike setup was focused on YZ specific stuff.

I can't help you much there since I am new to the Yamaha thing, just picking up a new WR250 this week.

I would make one point, though. The YZ does not have a coolant overflow tank like the WR. I would put one on. It sucks putting your drinking water in your bike in the middle of the desert. That's just my opinion. I ride a DRZ400 down in Baja and never have to add coolant because the bike recylces any it pukes into the overflow. The KTMs I ride with, on the other hand, like to puke theirs all over the desert.

I think oil coolers and oversized rads are overkill and wasted money. I also think WR gears is just wasted time and money. You won't need first gear very often. Just put sprockets on there for more speed. That's just my (limited) opinion.

I would ask this question in the Baja forum. Most guys ride red down there, as you know, but there are some Yamahas.

I have never raced Baja, but have ridden plenty of miles down there. I assume you have as well, and that your question about bike setup was focused on YZ specific stuff.

I can't help you much there since I am new to the Yamaha thing, just picking up a new WR250 this week.

I would make one point, though. The YZ does not have a coolant overflow tank like the WR. I would put one on. It sucks putting your drinking water in your bike in the middle of the desert. That's just my opinion. I ride a DRZ400 down in Baja and never have to add coolant because the bike recylces any it pukes into the overflow. The KTMs I ride with, on the other hand, like to puke theirs all over the desert.

I think oil coolers and oversized rads are overkill and wasted money. I also think WR gears is just wasted time and money. You won't need first gear very often. Just put sprockets on there for more speed. That's just my (limited) opinion.

I have ridden down there alot, I have even raced before but it was always on a 450 so I am new to racing the 250f. I have been looking at the overflow tanks guys here have made and at others that are for sale, I will defenetly put one of those on. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Lights, O-ring chain, steel rear sprocket, geared to the moon, bolts loctite and safety wired. Tons of pit support and 30 volunteers,
Yep.
Maybe a "limited opinion" but all good.

If a known Baja expert like Tim Morton says it's good, then it is.