DR650 Gas Tank / Seat Replacement

Being the brand-spanking-new owner of a '09 DR650SE and being an newbie motorcycle owner...

Upgrading the gas tank for longer trips seems worthwhile. In reading the forums the IMS aftermarket tank seems popular. The Corbin seat also, from what I've heard, is a good upgrade for longer distance riding. (Like getting to the Olympic Peninsula from my home on the other side of Puget Sound)

A couple of questions I have. Having never worked on a motorcycle before, it seems like the seat replacement is probably within my capabilities and won't get me in over my head. If I were to choose to replace the gas tank is that within a newbie capability?

Also - anyone know if that will void my warranty if I do it?

Thanks!

A couple of questions I have. Having never worked on a motorcycle before, it seems like the seat replacement is probably within my capabilities and won't get me in over my head. If I were to choose to replace the gas tank is that within a newbie capability?

Also - anyone know if that will void my warranty if I do it?

Thanks!

Seat an tank are probably among the most simple modifications.

I don't think the warranty will be an issue because you could always swap the stock seat/tank back on in an hour (15 minutes for an experienced wrencher) ?

Seat - install same as factory seat. Also look at Renazco.

Tank - I installed a Safari tank on my bike and a IMS tank on my wife's bike and I am literally clueless on bike mechanics, but I do follow pics really well. Do a search here. There are several pics of carb adjustment, in-line fuel filter & Bob's your uncle. I crossed my fingers on both occasions after the install when I went to start up the bike, and both bikes started up first time.

You'll also learn about your bike at the same time.

Not sure about a seat, I like the stock seat, but I can definitely recommend the IMS tank: great tank, I got the clear so I can see my gas level (it's turning yellowish now...), and it is very easy to intstall. There are a couple things to know about when installing it: delete one of the carb vac hoses, install a hose on the gas cap: there is info on this in this forum somewhere.

Good luck!

Make sure you get the upgraded petcock that does not need vacuum. Jesse sells IMS tanks pre set up with nice non vacuum petcock. I would never install a Corbin on anything to be taken off road due to the weight issue. Corbins are nice for a pure road bike. I bought a Corbin for my DL650 Wee Strom and it is 9 pounds heavier than the stocker. I am now waiting for my DR650 seat from Renazco. Renazco uses stock pan and is much lighter than Corbin but has about a three month back log.

Make sure you get the upgraded petcock that does not need vacuum. Jesse sells IMS tanks pre set up with nice non vacuum petcock. I would never install a Corbin on anything to be taken off road due to the weight issue. Corbins are nice for a pure road bike. I bought a Corbin for my DL650 Wee Strom and it is 9 pounds heavier than the stocker. I am now waiting for my DR650 seat from Renazco. Renazco uses stock pan and is much lighter than Corbin but has about a three month back log.

Are you sure about the Corbin weight? I had a Corbin on the XR650L which weighed a ton......but the one for my DR650 is quite light.

I just weighed my DR650 CORBIN......7 lbs 10 oz, not bad

Now that's pure CORBIN Weight alone....prolly ONLY ABOUT 3 1/2 to maybe 4 lbs more than stock.

The DR650 seat....well, mine's currently installed, but my SDG DRZ400 Seat is 4 lbs 2 oz & I would guess that the DR650 Seat has gotta be around there or a bit lighter

One reason the CORBIN weighs that is simple...it's the SEAT PAN, and yes folks, it DOES NOT FLEX, therefore providing a good solid base for more comfort (for the folks that own rear ends that fit into the CORBIN Form....and yes, I am one of those & I really like my CORBIN)?

oh.....and CORBIN has a backlog too, so you gotta call them to discuss it & yr specific build info:thumbsup:

FYI, in case it applies. I took the Corbin and my stock seat to an upholsterer. Layed the seats side by each and asked him: can you make this into that, pointing from the Corbin to the stocker. Affirmative. $150. He used 4-way stretch covering resulting in a lot of pressure(negative) on the seat pan. So now there's a gap between the tank/seat interface that never used to be there. It's firm and wider. Road test to follow.