KLR650 Dies when I try to open throttle

Hi everyone.

I have a pesky problem that I just can't figure out.

I have a '01 KLR650.

It has 6,000 + miles on it. I have had it for about 9 months or so.

It ran great! About two weeks ago I went down and filled the tank. Rode around for about 40 miles and came home. I parked it under the carport and did not ride it for a couple weeks.

Saturday I thought I would go for a ride, but wanted to wash it first. I put it in the driveway, sprayed it with cleaner, let is sit for 5 minutes and hosed it off. Hard spray, just like I have done on dozens of bikes and on this one at least 10 times.

Now it is all clean, and when I put the choke on full, it started right up, but was surging a bit. I didn't think much about it, and let it warm up.

Now if I try to reduce the choke it dies. On full choke, if I crack the throttle just the smallest amount, it dies. I can not get it to stay running. I will idle for 10 minutes with full choke, but will die immediately when the throttle is cracked open the smallest amount.

I pull check for water in the gas, it looks good. I pulled the float bowl, no crud or water. I pulled themain jet, not blocked.

What can it be? I am stumped......

Allen

Carb vent lines clear?

You didn't shoot a bunch of water into the exhaust?

Make sure you didn't blast the petcock vacuum line off.

It doesn't sound electrical, but make sure the spark plug boot is dry and the plug well isn't holding water.

Clogged pilot jet.

These carbs are a little touchy about that. sometimes it happens just a little and if you can ride it then it will often self clean.

But when it is as bad as you describe, time to pull the carb and clean it.

There is a snake oil trick that sometimes works. get some seafoam and run it through. If it works, great. The trouble I see is that it sounds so clogged that you probably won't get any flow through there to get it to self clean. But it has worked for several people.

I managed to rebuild mine when it was about 7 years old and didn't need any parts. Just take it apart, clean, put it together. I never did see what was clogging it. I have had a few times where it gummed a little from sitting too long. Those are the times that I could get it to self clean. But that one time it acted exactly like you describe, I tried ridding it. coasting down a hill, feathering the clutch, got it moving. But cracking the throttle would kill it, momentium would keep it spinning enough to reach another circuit in the carb and I did ride it a little. Never self cleaned.

There is a good online description of that carb somewhere. That is all I needed to do mine. I have heard that you can get by with loosening the carb, rotating enough to pull the fuel bowl. You can do a quicky rebuild/clean with the carb in the bike. But I have never tried that approach.

Yep..... something is clogged. Or you have a vacuum leak. i would remove and clean the carb thoroughly.

Jesse

You can loosen the carb and rotate it to get to the bottom.

I can't remember what type of choke it has on. If it has the same cold start mech as the KLR600, you will need to disconnect it first.

Once you have rotated the carb, remove the float bowl and ensure you remove all the jets fully and ensure they are all clean.

I would also check that the rubber from the carb to the airbox is a good fit and in good condition.

Also, check you haven't flooded your air box, they seem to be susceptible to water ingress, which can soak the air filter, although it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

The carb clean shouldn't take long if you rotate it rather than remove it.

Good luck.

Arai

First things first!! On the left side of the carb is a vent line ... kinda clear, pink looking line. Make sure it is clear.... bug nest, melted against the exhaust, etc. You can just pull the line off & try the bike without it if need be. There is a mod known as the "T" or "Y" mod where a fitting is place in this line so that another line can be installed & run up under the seat.

The symptoms you describe are what happens when this line is plugged. It vents the upper side of the diaphragm that raises the throttle slide & needle. Crossing deep water or even driving in protracted rain storms have been known to cause this problem....

Thanks everyone for all the help.

The vent line seems to be clear but I will do the "T" mod to it anyway. It never hurts to be proactive when a potential problem exists.

I pulled the carb and disassembled it. Soaked the body in carb cleaner and re-assembled. I could not get air flow through the pilot jet passage before cleaning an now air does pass through so that may have been the problem.

The carb is back on the bike, but I have to reassemble the tank and linkage. I will get it going tonight. Looking forward to a ride on Saturday.

I had a KLR650 that I didn't run for a long time. It ran at high rpm but would not idle. I removed the pilot jet and poked a sewing needle into it to clear it out. If its open you should be able to see light thru it, but mine was completely blocked. Soaking wasn't doing the trick. I could have just bought a new one I guess, but I got it cleaned out and that did the trick.

Great news! The carb clean did the trick and the bike runs like new. I went for a 120 mile ride on Sunday. A mixture of rutted dirt fire roads, twisty two lane country roads through the redwoods and a short 5 mile high-speed short-cut on California Highway 1 along the Santa Cruz coastline.

In summary, I pulled the carburetor, disassembled and soaked it in Berrymans carburetor cleaner for the prescribed 15-30 minutes. I rinsed everything in very hot water, blew out the passages with compressed air, double checked that the jets were all clear and reassembled.

In the process I also cleared out the carburetor vent tube which did have a little mud and crud at the bottom, but was not fully clogged. I added the trick "T" fitting and ran a second line up under my Corbin seat so I don't have to worry about that line getting fully blocked.

The bike runs great now and I really appreciate all the help.

Allen

Clogged pilot jet.

These carbs are a little touchy about that. sometimes it happens just a little and if you can ride it then it will often self clean.

But when it is as bad as you describe, time to pull the carb and clean it.

There is a snake oil trick that sometimes works. get some seafoam and run it through. If it works, great. The trouble I see is that it sounds so clogged that you probably won't get any flow through there to get it to self clean. But it has worked for several people.

I managed to rebuild mine when it was about 7 years old and didn't need any parts. Just take it apart, clean, put it together. I never did see what was clogging it. I have had a few times where it gummed a little from sitting too long. Those are the times that I could get it to self clean. But that one time it acted exactly like you describe, I tried ridding it. coasting down a hill, feathering the clutch, got it moving. But cracking the throttle would kill it, momentium would keep it spinning enough to reach another circuit in the carb and I did ride it a little. Never self cleaned.

There is a good online description of that carb somewhere. That is all I needed to do mine. I have heard that you can get by with loosening the carb, rotating enough to pull the fuel bowl. You can do a quicky rebuild/clean with the carb in the bike. But I have never tried that approach.

This is the kind of answers I like. A+:busted:

Where the choke (actually an enricher circut) cable goes into carb on left side it's black plastic and breaks easily, an aluminum one is available, but it sounds like you got it sorted, mine is broken , but broke arm labor day and have a while to fix. Never had to choke in summer. Mine was broken when I got it w/only 1050 miles on it:bonk:

Here's a similar issue.. mine was doing the same thing, so I pulled the carb and cleaned it all out.

After I reinstalled, it started fine, but it revs up to 3k and just sits there (throttle is plenty responsive). Then... slowly, the revs will die down.. 2500.. 2000.. 1500.. *sputter sputter* stall. I can start it back up by cracking the throttle about halfway open and holding the starter, and it'll zip back up to 3k, but then do the same thing.

Pilot jet/circuit issue? Float issue? Thoughts?

This is just getting more and more weird.

So, I took the carb apart again-again..again.. and vigorously checked all the little pinholes, jets and yadda yadda, and put it back together.

VOILA! It started up, ran and (more importantly) idled great.. So I hopped on, in the dark, and took it out for a spin. Ran great, plenty of power, I would periodically clutch in to see if it was okay, the the revs dropped to idle every time.

So I pull into the spot in front of my car with clutch in.. back it up to get it closer to the curb, and pull back forward. Get it into position, and the revs drop... drop.. drop.. and it stalls? I try to start it, and it just cranks, until I give it about half throttle, then it starts again.. and slowly dies. What sort of problem only happens after half an hour on the bike at varying speeds/throttles?

Might be worth taking your tank off and removing your fuel tap. Sounds like you are getting crap through to the carb from somewhere. The fuel tap has 2 push on filters, one for the "on" setting and one for "reserve". Both of mine had come off and were laying in the bottom of the tank.

Alternatively, you could try an inline filter, although, I wouldn't reccomend it as I couldn't get enough fuel through one for fast road riding.

Good luck.

Arai

Other possibilities are:

the vent in the gas cap..... there is a 2 way valve, if it sticks gas is slow or no to the carb. Some rip out parts so there is an open passage.... or just shoot it with WD once in a while. You can trouble shoot this by opening the cap when it stalls (helps to have 2 keys).

The vacuum line from the manifold to the fuel tap... if that is blocked or collapsed or leaking it will shut off fuel. Again, some rip out the diaphragm & there is a kit(s), but easy to home brew.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65938

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm going to (hopefully) re-tackle it this weekend, before the snow flies. Ugh.

I'm debating just using my 30 minutes of decent idling to get it to the storage unit. :smirk:

I'm having a similar issue on my 09. I rode to the store yesterday to by gas & beer, & didn't have any problems. When I headed out to work this morning, though, I only made it three blocks before she started sputtering & died. She wouldn't restart, so I began pushing her back to the house, which was all good until I got to the hill.:smirk:

I decided to try one more time before I took a chance on giving myself a heart attack, but this time I opened the gas cap first.

This did the trick. Unfortunately, the angle of the road I was parked on meant the bike was almost vertical, and when I got on I didn't realize that the ground was a lot farther away on the right side, and she rolled on over and took a nap :ride:..

I'm really getting my money's worth out of my Jesse bags. The only damage was some light scratching on the Jesse's.

Happened again (the stall, not the nap) about 3 miles down the road. That time I paid a little more attention to the little vent hole, and I was able to make it all the way into work, about 25 more miles. I'll seriously considering gutting the cap tonight, as I have a long ride planned this weekend, I could do without this particular kind of drama.

Anyway, good luck with getting your issue figured out. I know what a major pain in the ass it is.

--Garuda