TTR230 Mods

Hi All....I am new to the forum but sor sure not new to riding. Last year I blew the whole bottom end out of my kx125 and junked the bike. I stumbled in to a brand new ttr230 for about $2400 this year so I couldnt pass it up. I knew it would be a huge difference from my beefy and race ready Kaw, but I only trail ride so its a decent bike for now. Since getting the TTR230 about a week ago I have put a DR.D Pipe on it, jetting, Pro Taper Bars (same as my KX) and have "cleaned" up the sorry excuse for an air filter box that Yamaha put on it. It has made a big difference, but I was wondering if anyone out there had anymore idead on a budget to do to my TTR230 on a budget that would make it more of a beefy bike? Thanks for your help.

fork conversion?

Yea I am actually in the midst of finding the right forks for it right now...I dont want to give it the "chopper" look is the only problem.

do the shock too?

change your sprockets how it is right now 1st gear is good for nothin

Thats what my next plan is for the weekend....Putting a long ride in in the U.P in Michigan after I change the front a rear sprocket. I am putting a 15 on the front....I have heard so many different things for the rear sprocket, how many tooth would you reccomend?

14 or 15 on front. Stock rear.

Ok,

So this question has been asked alot. i have a stock ttr230. I have been looking around on the internet and everyone says jetting first. So i live by a Yamaha dealer and will be over there next week for a new oil filter and oil. im going to ask about the jetting kits. i wanted to know what numbers i need to write down and what to get. main jets, piolt jets? is that all? what are the part numbers on it and who makes them. that would be great, thaankx.

Any other little thing i could add to it for under 50 bucks?

tthankx

billet end cap and open up the airbox

ok thankx. all i need now is the jetting numberss for the main and piolt jet?

its a 130 and 38 i think?

i need the part numbers for those so i know wat to tell the yamaha dealer

also where can i get the billet end cap?

Here are the numbers. The Yamaha # for the 130 main jet is 288-14343-65-00. The yamaha # for the 38 pilot jet is 43f-14342-19-00.

These will work fine on a stock bike. I removed the snorkel from the air box and also removed the baffle. Whether you do that or not, adjust the fuel screw for no hesitation off idle. Removing the baffle didn't seem to make any difference in performance. But the jetting sure did. Vince

billet end cap you can find on ebay for like $20-30

hey thankx everyone for the help. found both parts online now tomorrow gonna go to my yamaha dealer and see if they have them. so the jets just screw it right? i will look for the billet cap tonight. what does that really do anyway?

any other suggests to do to my ttr230 stock would be greatly accepted.

thanks

hey thankx everyone for the help. found both parts online now tomorrow gonna go to my yamaha dealer and see if they have them. so the jets just screw it right? i will look for the billet cap tonight. what does that really do anyway?

any other suggests to do to my ttr230 stock would be greatly accepted.

thanks

Billet caps that I found with just a very quick search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170325370355&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp284.m39.l1313%26_nkw%3D170325370355%26_sacat%3D%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330318648699&viewitem=

I'm guessing that the exhaust outlet is larger on those caps so they are less restrictive. Don't know that for sure as I don't have one. I don't want to make the motorcycle loud so I haven't fooled with the exhaust any.

The mods that I've done to my son's TT-R230: Re-jetted and changed the front sprocket to a 14 tooth. I'm thinking of buying a 15 tooth sprocket and giving that a try. The 14 made first gear more usable. Re-jetting made a world of difference.

As posted in an earlier post...here are the numbers for the jets I just installed

about a week ago:

The yamaha # for the 38 pilot jet is 43f-14342-19-00. About $20

The main jet I got is a Mikuni:

# SD004192 JET, MAIN MIKUNI LG RND 130 about $3.50

I Installed a FMF Power Core 4 and pulled the air box snorkle and drilled a 1.5" hole in the top of the air box. The fuel scre is at 1.5 turns out and the bike runs strong...still a little popping on decel, but pulls alot harder than before and runs at idle really nice.

any one find any good tires to use with 230? stock ones are not great