Decomp lever sticks, any solutions?

Every time my son crashes on our 05 CRF250X, it is hard to start and sometimes will not turn over. I charged the battery, but it only helped a little. When this happened before, I took off the valve cover and found the decomp lever stuck. I play with it a little, and it frees up and everything is fine. So my question is, should I replace the decomp lever, the cam, or both?

The bolt is tight, so rule that one out.

Perhaps just a new return spring would fix it up.

recoil spring..........maybe, thats what i tht could be.

I don't thinks so. The spring works after it is freed up, just sticks. It would take a big spring to free it up after it jams. I might just change the cam and decomp lever as no one seems to know which one to replace. I guess I am the only one that has ever had this problem.

I've never heard of it before. I wonder why a crash would cause that and not just shutting the bike off when you are done riding.

I would try a compression test and see if its realy more than the 57psi stated in the manual, or if maybe you have a week starter or something. The decomp. unit is pretty simple, There isn't much for it to get stuck on unless its bent.Good luck, let us know once you fiqure it out.

I've never heard of it before. I wonder why a crash would cause that and not just shutting the bike off when you are done riding.

It seems to be the side to side hits that do it. It tends to stick outboard to the right. Once freed up, it is in just a smidge inboard. Something is allowing the decomp lever to move. I did have the engine blow up a few years ago (valve let go and took everything out with it). I did not change the cam or cam parts, so maybe something got jacked up back then and now that the battery is 4 years old, it may be getting tired and can't overcome the increased compression from the dry rebuild.

That is really strange. I wonder if there is an issue with your bolt. I would try that 1st if you don't want to buy a entire cam assembly.