XR600R - Weird problem need some ideas

1996 XR600R - approx 3-4k miles total. I bought it from an old friend that had it for 11 years, it sat in his garage most of the time. I spent some time/ money making it look good, and run perfect.

xr.jpg

Installed a XR650R carb, fmf Q-tip , other than that the engine is stock. The bike ran perfect for about 500 miles.

Last time I rode it a problem developed- It starts cutting out at about half throttle/ half-way through the RPM range. Let off, let the revs drop and it runs perfect again.

First thought- plugged main - no, cleaned carb twice, even installed new main, pilot... same issue-- starts first kick, runs perfect..then cuts out.

second thought- stator- checked ohms cold-86 -- hot --96 ohms.. According to baja D. that is normal....

Any thoughts, ideas Men?

Thanks, Ron

• Like 1

Dunno...I'd be guessing as usual. Blocked inline fuel filter maybe. Blocked air intake on the Gas tank cap. If there both ok I'd be looking to borrow a Coil from someone and give it a run with that. Still doing it,, I'd be looking to borrow a CDI...Pre all that palava I'd be checking the wiring for shorts which could interfere with things.

what jetting you using with that R carb?

May look into fuel flow into carb, and check float level also

possibly (but not too likely) drop petcock and check to see if the screen is damaged maybe???

does it matter if its cold or warm, ie right when you take off or after riding for 30 mins or so?????

the fact that it "recovers" by let'n off the throttle if i'm read'n ur post correctly points to a fuel issue rather than electrical...

...the electrical gremlins tend to show up w/ elevated temps and usally don't go away(if at all) until the temps drop.

sounds like carb bowl fuel float level thing?

?

Don't rule out electrical. Check the obvous connections first - grounds and plugs. Look for places where the insulation is worn through exposing bare wire, twist the harness looking at all sides. Can't hurt.

I had a bad coil connection cause my bike to start breaking up mostly at half throttle and above with some of it happening at low throttle regardless of rpm. I started looking at the ignition when a six jet size sweep didn't change how it ran. The loose coil wire was breaking contact when the rpm caused the connection to vibrate.

jetting is fine.

How do you know? What jets are in it?

i got a spare carb u can try if u live anywhere around petaluma

Thanks guys- update-- I tried a different carb- same issue.

I'm thinking stator. any body have a good spare laying around? (xr600r)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Ron

plenty of gas flowing into carb. jetting is fine. dead cold the bike runs out fine. Heats up, then it gets bad.

i've never had a cdi, or coil go bad..but those seem to be the next step...

Thanks guys- update-- I tried a different carb- same issue.

I'm thinking stator. any body have a good spare laying around? (xr600r)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Ron

...sounds more and more like a CDI/coil problem :banghead:

...these CDI's are a known weakness...sum suggest a broken solder connection on the circuit board is the problem.

:banghead:

update- changed out CDI - no change. still cutting out .. ugghh

what's left? stator - coil--

Stator question--me experience-- in the past these either work or they don't- anyone ever had one work perfectly up to a certain rpm, then just cut out?

thx, Ron

Can't say I've ever had a Stator causing issues at certain revs. As you say they either work or they don't. Now the Coil does sound like a likely culprit. I have had experiences with them before that could possibly cross over to what you describe. Pity you can't borrow one as I'd hate to see wasting money on things that are not the cause...Thats the joy of owning a few spares. Good point Onederer...possibilities there

Wrong heat range plug maybe? Maybe a crack in the insulator. Seen a plug yesterday that the ceramic around the center electrode broke away and was bouncing around on the electrode, engine run but had a intermitent miss.

Also check the pulse coil/pulse generator resistance. 360-440ohm @ or above 68*F

Duh, did'nt mean to quote myself, just hit the wrong button.

plenty of gas flowing into carb. jetting is fine. dead cold the bike runs out fine. Heats up, then it gets bad.

i've never had a cdi, or coil go bad..but those seem to be the next step...

HEATS UP THEN RUNS BAD......................= stator problem......:banghead:

All joking aside it is very likely the stator,the stator is very common for failing on a 600 Honda............:banghead:

B

I just replaced the coil on my John Deere Lawn Mower, it would cut out on me when it got hot, ran fine cold. Coil's seem to fail when the get hot. I talk to my dealer and sure enough that's what is was. Hope this help's !

My 96 600r did what sounds like the same thing...it ended up being a loose plug, very loose. DOHH!

Anyway,

The Q tip you installed, is that just an insert for the megamax or did you replace the megamax? Sorry i am not up on exhaust stuff.

If you swapped out the max do you still have it?