KLX 250 S Questions

Is this thing just a detuned KLX 300 with a smaller cylinder and piston?

Can I put a 300 cylinder and piston in it and have a street legal klx 300r?

Are there aftermarket exhaust systems for this bike?

Can you still do the pumper carb mod to this bike?

Any alternative to the hunk o junk looking rear plate holder?

Is the subframe welded on the frame like the klx was or does it unbolt?

I had a 2005 klx 300R and loved that bike im currently riding a 2003 kx 250 that if and when she blows I might go after this klx 250 S ...cuz it will do what I want and give me a plate.

I had a 2005 klx 300R and loved that bike im currently riding a 2003 kx 250 that if and when she blows I might go after this klx 250 S ...cuz it will do what I want and give me a plate.

There are aftermarket exhaust systems, Muzzys, FMF, Big Gun, etc.

Not really sure about and of your other questions though, I'm still kinda new:bonk:

Hey, yes you can swap for the 300 jug and piston and it'll still be street legal. Yes you can still do the pumper carb mod. Just wanted to let you know though, in my opinion, it would be foolish to only upgrade to a 300cc kit. Bill Blue at www.bandbcyclerestorations.com sells a 300cc big bore AND a 330cc kit. The 330cc kit is ONLY 30$ MORE! that's why I say you should go with the 330cc. By the way kustom kraft also sells a nikasil lined 330cc kit which is what I have on my 09'. it runs a hi-comp piston and the bike runs great with it. I also have a full muzzy exhaust which ( this is highly debateable) gives the highest HP gains and has a sick sound to it. Also if your simply looking for the most bang for your buck, you can get a 350cc big bore from same guy, bill blue, for only 20$ more than the 330cc. Lots of aftermarket support for the klx250s. And finally If You can get ahold of reciprocating saw, you can easily trim the fender by just cutting along the lines and make it look nice and relocate the license plate by drilling holes in the shortened fender. If you wanna spend money on a whole new assembly, just google " edge 2 taillight "

Hope this helps! by the way if you want the best pumper money can buy, go to www.fourstrokeworks.biz and get the 35mm FCR pumper. That's what I am installing right now and this bike just rocks.

Coming from the KX250 to the KLX250 is going to be like coming from a Z06 'Vette to a six banger Mustang.

Coming from the KX250 to the KLX250 is going to be like coming from a Z06 'Vette to a six banger Mustang.

:p:lol:

This is true...but I started with a KLX 300R went to a CRF 250R then a CRF 450R then the KX 250 and find myself wanting something that will give me a plate yet still be rideable with the boy on a xr 80.

I will keep the kx250 for the sand a dunes though!!! Hear in Kalifornia it seems the only way to have fun on a dirt bike is to get something with a plate.....and I dont want a orange bike that I have to pay out the arse to get.

This is true...but I started with a KLX 300R went to a CRF 250R then a CRF 450R then the KX 250 and find myself wanting something that will give me a plate yet still be rideable with the boy on a xr 80.

I will keep the kx250 for the sand a dunes though!!! Hear in Kalifornia it seems the only way to have fun on a dirt bike is to get something with a plate.....and I dont want a orange bike that I have to pay out the arse to get.

I gotcha. My friend has a KLX250S that he keps at my house. Its a fun bike. But have you considered a DRZ400S?

I gotcha. My friend has a KLX250S that he keps at my house. Its a fun bike. But have you considered a DRZ400S?

Not really since im a previouse owner of a klx 300r I feel safer with the klx 250s and like the fact that I can hop it up.

Is the DRZ going to be a better performer stock then a modded klx 250s with the pumper carb, big bore 351 and an exhaust system?

What kinda mods can a drz take. Since I am use to the CRF 450 and KX 250 power I would love it if a DRZ is going to get me closer then the KLX.

In all honesty, yes the DRZ will be a bit more powerful than the all modded up KLX. But what your missing here is the weight. The DR-Z is known to be a real pig to handle especially in really tight single track stuff. And personally once you have all those mods on the KLX it is MUCH MORE FUN than a DRZ. And i have no problem with the drz my best friend owns one and we switch up often but honestly, and especially witht the pumper and 351, the KLX is a much more modern and OFFroad worthy bike whereas the DRZ has more power but with it, weight and does not really excel anywhere offroad. And plus most people say the KLX is more of a fun flickable bike anyway. I know your looking for " KX 250 Like Power" but ask youself this... Do you want that power with harley like handling on a DS bike. The DR-z will give you that power but dont expect to be able to use it very much off road. The DR-Z is an excellent 80% street Dual Sport and probably more offroad too, but the bottom line is a suped up KLX would easily win in real offroad racing. I'm not talking bout open desert or big fields, I mean with logs, ruts, creeks you know the good challenging stuff. The agile KLX will always win. And finally if your with your son on an 80cc your probley never gonna go past 1/4 throttle with the DR-Z its an excellent street bike but for playing and serious offroading its just too heavy and to powerful. You know what they say... it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow and once you do those mods to the KLX I promise you it will by no means be slow.

a 351 pumper carb'ed w/ bigger header klx might be more fun than a DRZ. its a bit lighter and you are used to the bike. makes sense to me to stay w/ what you know.

fyi - you'll need heavier fork springs at a minimum on the klx if the mod hasn't already been done to it.

Im with you on the modded klx...I think you missread my post. I think im going to go for the klx and mod it up....still cheaper then a stock drz, ktm exc, husky heck anything you wanna mention. Plus im still gonna keep the kx for ripping up the dunes and beaches...there is just something fun about smelling your clutch on fire and holding that throttle WFO for long periods of time!!!!

Awesome man, i'm glad to hear we'll have another person to add to our growing group here! But whatever you do, don't get discouraged when you first ride the bike. It is so plugged up from the factory it feels like a moped. if your gonna wait to do the mods, first thing you should do is a dynojet kit. It only costs 70 bucks and it will increase performance dramatically and a nice exhaust will do wonders. But the two biggest things that totally transform the bike are the BigBore and pumper. So let us know how it goes I'm looking forward to hearing!

Anyone make an aftermarket camshaft yet?

yeah, google webbcams

there is a guy on the TT forum that is parting out a 2002 KLX 300. search in the classifieds on this site. He raced his KLX 300 in hare scrambles, did everything you could possibly do to a KLX. he probably has a hot engine you can drop in that klx 250 frame, along with other goodies. his name is Mark. Look him up, i bought a few things off of him and he was very helpful.

What about the subframe, does it bolt onto the bike or is it a solid welded on peace like the klx 300 was?

What about the subframe, does it bolt onto the bike or is it a solid welded on peace like the klx 300 was?

The subframe is still welded (at least the '06 and '07) and I think the '09 is also still welded.

Hey all.

I'm a newby to the world of motorcycling :-)

I own a 2007 klx 250 with a two brothers slip on, sounds awesome. But same as everyone else I feel the bike needs some more grunt. After doing some research I've decided to go with the 351 kit from bill blue and tm33 carb, see how it all works out when done, will post some pics and youtube vid when done....

Yes. Kinda

Yes.

Plenty of aftermarket exhausts are available

Yep. Several people have added the carb with the 300, 330, and 351cc kit and like it a lot

Lots of people on the kawasaki forum change the rear plate setup

It's welded

I like mine a lot. I've done the following mods so far, and will be getting the 351cc kit soon

Stiffer fork & shock springs front and back, with the front a necessity, not an option

Remove smog crap

DynoJet Jet kit

Uni Filter

KDX220 snorkel to replace stock snorkel

Drilled the slide in the carb

Throw on some Michellin AC-10s and you're set.

Do you want that power with harley like handling on a DS bike.

:thumbsup: I felt the same way when I tried the DRz400 and the DR650. They both felt like a Sportster to me. :blah: