XR650R Radiator Fan - which one is this??

Hello all,

I recently picked up a used XR650R and started doing some basic maintenance.

The radiator fan looks very elaborate and expensive ... here are a couple of pictures:

512545765_qJMc4-M.jpg

512545764_sHW8A-M.jpg

I did several searches (here, the XR650R forum, advrider) and saw all the computer fans, KTM fans, and other fans ... but never saw this type.

Any idea what kind this is? Looks like it has radiator fluid going up into the unit? It has a vacuum line going to it, not sure what that is for. Seems way too complex for just a fan ... any ideas??

Thanks!

That my friend is not a fan, it is an Air Suction Valve. Look it up on your Fiche parts finder on something like oldbikebarn.com

yeah part of smog stuff right? i would look into getting rid of the smog stuff and block off

yeah part of smog stuff right? i would look into getting rid of the smog stuff and block off

can you do this to the XRR??? How?? i guess i've read of doing it to the XRL. i think in part of "Dave's Mods??"

yeah i'm not sure if i am right or not about the Dave's carb mod, but....can this be done to teh XRR anyways??

It is really simple to remove the smog stuff.

The block off kit is just a small plate of aluminum that bolts over the exhaust ports and a rubber stopper to cover the nipple on the intake manifold.

I recommend not using the rubber plug. Go buy a stainless allen screw (m6?) and replace the brass nipple with the screw.

It is really simple to remove the smog stuff.

The block off kit is just a small plate of aluminum that bolts over the exhaust ports and a rubber stopper to cover the nipple on the intake manifold.

I recommend not using the rubber plug. Go buy a stainless allen screw (m6?) and replace the brass nipple with the screw.

i see where you can do this on the XRL, but my question remains...is it possible to do this on the XRR?

possibly a more detailed explanation would be better with visual aids??

what are the benefits?:p

i guess i've never seen a write up about this being done on the XRR, thats why i'm asking.

so that's wut that thing looks like!

...they're not on R's down here...looks kinda like a "cludge" but that's wut happens when engineers are forced to add things after the fact :lol: my manual doesn't even have info on it...wus it a Cali only thing?

i believe Ryanthegreat1 wus tell'n u yes and how it can be done.

:p

Thanks guys!

Looks like XRs Only has a block off kit ... I guess others might as well.

Anyone know what this thing does? It looks like a self contained until ... two hoses running towards the front part of the cylinder and one hose that is a vacuum source. Does it pump fresh air into the exhaust or something?

Guess I need to rename this thread. :p

Hummm ... just called my local cool shop (non Honda, dirt bike parts shop) ... they recommended to just leave it on ... they said the performance doesn't change at all, so you are basically paying $25 plus tax to drop 1lb off the BRP. But maybe that isn't bad ... wish I could pay $1000 and drop 40lbs!!

so that's wut that thing looks like!

...they're not on R's down here...looks kinda like a "cludge" but that's wut happens when engineers are forced to add things after the fact :lol: my manual doesn't even have info on it...wus it a Cali only thing?

i believe Ryanthegreat1 wus tell'n u yes and how it can be done.

i'm in SD and i have one!! GET IT OFF GET IT OFF:bonk:

oh crappers i lied, i thought i had one Wheww!!

of course you can take off any smog stuff!! all mine came in a box when i bought my bike

Was it all of the 07's that had the smog? Everything before that was without unless it was a California model.

And yes I was giving directions for the XRR.

It assists in pumping crap back in to your motor so you can save

the ozone by burning more gas to overcome the crap that is being pumped

back in to your motor to save the ozone then you use more gas to overcome

the crap that is being pumped back into your motor to save the ozone…

see where I’m going with this…

this is not the crankcase breather system that reburns the crankcase vapors/emissions...

...rather it's the pulsed secondary air injection system(PAIR) that injects air into the exhaust ports to aid in burning unburnt hydrocarbons...

It assists in pumping crap back in to your motor so you can save

the ozone by burning more gas to overcome the crap that is being pumped

back in to your motor to save the ozone then you use more gas to overcome

the crap that is being pumped back into your motor to save the ozone…

see where I’m going with this…

:cry::p:lol:
this is not the crankcase breather system that reburns the crankcase vapors/emissions...

...rather it's the pulsed secondary air injection system(PAIR) that injects air into the exhaust ports to aid in burning unburnt hydrocarbons...

NOOOO its crap that should be blown up and discarded, not some silly PEAR PUMP, YOU FREAK!!! LOL :lol:

NOOOO its crap that should be blown up and discarded, not some silly PEAR PUMP, YOU FREAK!!! LOL :lol:

well...if anyone knows about get'n "pumped" it's Big Denn... :cry:

...dude, u better lay off the sauce *hic* or do u have sumone to drive u to Pig Fest??? :p

:lol:

P.S. make sure to give Bruce & Rich a big hug for me and throw in a grab-azz too! :lol:

Leave it on. Absolutely no performance gain at all by taking it off.. There are off-road parks around northern CA that will actually send you home if you do not have your smog pump on (Hollister Hills, Carnegie.)

Well, I think I'll leave it on ... seems kind of goofy but I have also heard of tougher checks at the offroad parks.

I looked at changing the thread title but doesn't look like I can do that ... was thinking "What is that hideous growth on my radiator where a fan should be?" or something. :p

Thanks for the info guys!