i know,i know...another tire topic...maxxis 6006..

i did do a search and i did find some info but just not all the info i need. i wouldnt have posted this but i am in a bit of a hurry and a dealer is telling me i can not put these tires on my SM.

i am heading out riding next weekend. i have since moved to Northern BC and have aquired a cabin nestled in the mountains. the trails and backcountry riding is endless. hence the tire swap.

i went in to order some maxxis 6006 tires for my 05 drz sm (got the idea from rally racer, his bike looks deadly) they told me they do not make the 6006's in those size's (120/70R17, 140/70R17)

and said i would have to go to a 130/80R17 and that they probably wont fit being that they are wider.

i just need to know if these WILL fit and if there are any concerns with this? I know some of you guys have put these tires on your bikes.....did you put the 130/80R17's on? was there any problem's? any mods?

i cant see there being any mods, and i simply dont think this guys is correct but i thought i would ask some pro's on here!

thanks in advance....and please have mercy on this topic...lol!

peace out

Ryan

Sorry, i'm no help to you at all, i don't even have an SM. But i was curious where abouts in BC you are located?

lol, no prob man. i am in Fort St John. i will be riding and have a cabin in the reddeer falls area. around Tumbler Ridge...

Right on man, sounds like a sweet spot. I was just askin' because im always lookin' for fellow DRZ riders in my area to go rippin' with. Unfortuantley they seem to be few and far between on the Sunshine Coast. Hope your tires end up working for ya! :p

anyone?

do you have a 4.25in rear or a 4.5in? seems to me that a 130 might fit in back and you might be able to reverse a rear tyre and mount it on the front rim

They fit on a SM, a friend of mine has em. He ended up just running a 130/80-17 on both the front and the back. They fit just fine, no modding or anything.

They should fit no problem. DenniS4R on here had a set on his for a while.

Where are you getting them from? I've been told that the 6006 is discontinued and Maxxis isn't making a replacement for them. I've even searched online and am unable to find any. (That will ship USPS to Canada anyway)

They should fit no problem. DenniS4R on here had a set on his for a while.

Where are you getting them from? I've been told that the 6006 is discontinued and Maxxis isn't making a replacement for them. I've even searched online and am unable to find any. (That will ship USPS to Canada anyway)

You could run the same setup of 130/80-17s with the Twin Duro TKC80, says 40%on 60%off, but I don't know if they are any good.

probably the 120 is what he can't get.

Go 130 and 140 (will fit) or both 130's (they will be called "rear" tires, but are the same)

the tkc is about the same offroad as the 6006-ok for dry stuff but fill quickly in mud and don't cut enough for wet grass/clay)

I ran the 6006 after my deathwings and thought I was running a dirt tire-so much better, but since then have run nothing but knobbies and now know the difference-they are a good dual purpose tire but not a dirt tire

well, i guess the guy can order them (130/80R17's) at least he says he can. he told me they should be in next week. he said he never heard of putting a rire tire on the front and thinks i am somewhat retarded. BUT he also never seen street rubber on a "dirtbike" as he put it, b4. i had probably 4-5 guys all standing round my bike scratching their heads. i just said they are big back home, not so much off roading and alot of city riding. it was pretty funny. anyways thanks alot guys for all your help. i really appreciate it. LOVE this site!:lol::p

i'll post up some pics when i am done everything. maybe some of us rippin in the tains!

you were right! the parts guy was wrong about them still having them. he called on monday saying that they were discont'd. so i went with the twin duro tkc80. will be in next monday. will post pics of the tires installed. thanks again for the help guys! kinda made the parts guy look stupid!

Are all 6006's discontinued or just that size?

Well maxxis still has them on thier website, but any of the catalogues I frequent don't list them anymore. So short answer is I don't know, but I'm guessing they are getting scarce.

you were right! the parts guy was wrong about them still having them. he called on monday saying that they were discont'd. so i went with the twin duro tkc80. will be in next monday. will post pics of the tires installed. thanks again for the help guys! kinda made the parts guy look stupid!

I ended up ordering the kenda k270. Since they will only be temporary I went with the cheap stuff. :banghead:

ok...just got back from the dealer and the 130/80/17's wont fit. i got a call this morning saying that my tires are in but the mechanic saysy the rear rim is too wide and that these tires will not fit. is he wrong? he hasn't tried, he just said that they wont fit. i told him that their are people running this size tire and he says there's no way the rear rim is too wide for that size tire... wth is going on? lol. im thinking about grabbing my tires and never dealing with this dealership again......

If you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF. It's not too hard. There are youtube videos that show you how to change tires. You can do it.

there is truth to what you are saying for sure. i just dont have the time. work has been crazy busy and i squeaked out just enuff time to take the wheels off myself and bring them in on friday. man, they have NO CLUE of what a supermoto is up here. they still cant believe it came like that from the factory. you gusy have to keep in mind....i am in redneckville. there are no ford rangers or colorado's driving round these parts....only 1 ton diesel trucks with 6 inch lifts! lol

You should see the backwoods country hicks around these parts. You better be running if you start hearing banjo music.

You should see the backwoods country hicks around these parts. You better be running if you start hearing banjo music.

lmao...you got a real purty mouth boy.....now squeal like a pig! reeeeee...reeeeeeeeeee...reeeee

ah shit, we are going to hell....lol:lol: