Steering bearings - Help Requested

I am changing out the steering stem bearings & races on my '02 XR250R.

Thanks to a tip on TT I was able to get the races out in under 10 minutes!

Now, I am having a problem getting the pressed on bearing off the lower triple tree/ stem. Any suggestions?:p

I just did the same bearings on my 400. To take off the pressed on bearing I used a cold chisel and a large hammer. I had 3 chisels, small one to get it started, hitting it straight on, alternating sides untill there is enough space to fit the next larger chisel. When you can't move the bearing up anymore by driving it straight in (without hitting the steering stem), use the wedge of the chisel to drive it up more (the side of the chisel rather than straight on). And hopefully your last chisel is thick enough to knock it loose. :cry:

Or take it to a shop. Because it's a PITA, and mine took a couple hours of hammering, sweating, swearing, and hunting for a bigger cold chisel. :lol::p

BTW... I believe I had to move it up the stem better than an inch before it came loose. So if you do tackle it youself (assuming you go this route) save yourself some time and find a chisel thick enough to make that space. But maybe somebody here has an easier method...cuz' Id sure like to learn it.:p

Chisels & hammer.... I was afraid that was how others did it as well. I've gone thru the pain twice before with this method on other bikes and was hoping for the magic solution. Thanks for you input XR8ed400

I took mine to a machine shop and had them press off the old one and press on the new one. I think they charged me $10. It was worth it to me to save the aggravation.

I am changing out the steering stem bearings & races on my '02 XR250R.

Thanks to a tip on TT I was able to get the races out in under 10 minutes!

How about a link to the post that contains the tip on how to do the steering stem bearings and races.

Rocketman500,

Here is the link to get out the bearing races...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531298&highlight=steering+bearing

The_Dude mentioned above having a shop 'press' the stem off to get the bearing off. I realized I have a 5 ton press sitting in the corner of my garage catching dust!!! Using the press --> it took me 1o minutes to pop out the stem and old bearing! I then pressed the stem back on the lower tree. I placed the new seal and bearing on the stem and using the new race pressed the bearing into place. It couldn't have gone smoother.:p

Thanks for the help.

Jim