250F vs 125 - will the 125 ever win anymore?

Do they even race together? I never been on a 250F but was on a 250 2-stroke and that thing scared the HELL out of me. 250F are raced against 250 2's, right? Why wouldn't the 250 kick the crap out of 250F's like everytime because I remember on my ride that the low end was ridiculous torque. The only 4-stroke experience I had was in 1981 (damn, I'm old) on an XT250 Yamaha - yeah...I know it's not a MX bike. Just seemed to operate like an automatic car. I also had access to an RM of the same year and it was SO MUCH FUN. Is it that kind of a dull ride - the thumpers? Yet, seems like everyone races them. I heard AMA is congested, but, I'd really like to see separation - the 2 strokes in a circuit, 4 strokes in another ----take the winners and let em all compete - sort of like National League vs. American League in Baseball or the NCAA Tournament, I guess would be even better in college basketball. When was the last time a 125 won anything? And, I don't understand the concept of learning to ride a 2-stroke for preparation of a 4-stroke - is it sort of like, in baseball again - picking up three bats and swinging them in the on-deck circle so that when you're at the actual bat, it feels lighter?

The thing I like about my bike is sort of like dating the bad girl - she pushes your buttons and it's exciting vs the good, predictable girl (4-stroke). But, the good predictable girl is the keeper so maybe the 4-strokes are the way to go these days.

It isn't about the bike, it is all the rider. A good rider will win on any size bike, regardless what size bikes he is against. A 125 is very competitive in amateur racing.

A 125 is more fun when riding balls to the wall. Just reving the crap out of it.

If you give Bubba a 2009 YZ125, I bet you would be amazed at how competative he is/ it is.

yeah but bubba can smoke people on a 65 lol

It isn't about the bike, it is all the rider. A good rider will win on any size bike, regardless what size bikes he is against. A 125 is very competitive in amateur racing.

exactly. 90% rider - 10% bike. :p

Any one ever ride at Rocky Hill in CT? Tony Larusso rides his RM 125 90% of the time. And no one can touch him. He hits the 105 footer every lap. And there is another double, supposed to be 80-90 feet, he takes the inside corner and still makes it.

Mike Treadwell and Dowd showed up on 450F's. When all 3 of them would go at it, speeds were all pretty even, reguardless of bike size.

I'm with KJ790 and RedRyder22. You can put the best rider on any bike and he's gonna win. My 16 year old son is in his 4th year of racing and 2nd year on a 2007 yz125. He is already peaking at some top 10 finishes in the 250C class in D6 and MAMA on full gate motos. He comes off the track totally worn out and exhausted and his buddies on the 4t's haven't even broken a sweat. The just grab throttle and hang on while he has to go 200% ballz out. Some of the parents think it's unfair that he beats their kids, because they think he's on a 250 2t, but when I tell them he's on a 125, it humbles them really quick. He gets a ton of satisfaction out of beating 2/3 of the 4t field and his goal is to be the highest finishing 125 on the track every time he races. The only reason he don't do better YET is just due to lack of racing experience. But he's progressing quick so you 250f guys better look out:smirk:

The only reason 250f's are faster because they make their power during 100% of the powerband instead of the last 40% like on a two-stroke. And it's just as powerful as the two-stroke on the pipe too. So you basically have 2 times longer the pull for each gear which means faster, more tractable acceleration. It's all about the rider but the question is would you beat your own lap times on a 250f or a 125; you probably will be faster on the 250f. So basically, you have to be a lot more skilled than your competition to be as fast or faster than them on a 125.

Any one ever ride at Rocky Hill in CT? Tony Larusso rides his RM 125 90% of the time. And no one can touch him. He hits the 105 footer every lap. And there is another double, supposed to be 80-90 feet, he takes the inside corner and still makes it.

Mike Treadwell and Dowd showed up on 450F's. When all 3 of them would go at it, speeds were all pretty even, reguardless of bike size.

Beat me too it i was about to say the same exact thing about Larusso. Four strokes are just the new fad so manufacturers are putting all there money into them but on the amuater level its pretty even, like this weekend at a local event at southwick Robert Marshal on a 250smoker killed Dowd, larusso, Ainsworth(a local pro rider) and other pro pro quality guys all on 450s.

A 125 is more fun when riding balls to the wall. Just reving the crap out of it.

If you give Bubba a 2009 YZ125, I bet you would be amazed at how competative he is/ it is.

Yeah the rider blah blah, but the real question is who would win bubba on a 125 or bubba on a 250f!

So, the question is this - if everyone rides a two-stroke, then get's on a four-stroke...will they ALWAYS be faster on the four-stroke?

Beat me too it i was about to say the same exact thing about Larusso. Four strokes are just the new fad so manufacturers are putting all there money into them but on the amuater level its pretty even, like this weekend at a local event at southwick Robert Marshal on a 250smoker killed Dowd, larusso, Ainsworth(a local pro rider) and other pro pro quality guys all on 450s.

wow i was thinking about him riding that 125 to he is insane .

hmmmmmmmm good question lol

So, the question is this - if everyone rides a two-stroke, then get's on a four-stroke...will they ALWAYS be faster on the four-stroke?

Yeah pretty much. Probably like a 95% you will be faster unless you are not comfortable or confident on the 250f.

My friend had an 85 and I would lap him every 5 laps at the local track. He got a 150f and now he keeps up with me(that's a big change in speed!):p (Not that I'm fast, but you get the picture.)

NO I am faster on a 2t:thumbsup:

Every time I time myself between my two stroke and four stroke I am consistently within half a second a lap between the two bikes. I've timed my laps many times on many different tracks and some times I'm faster on the fourstroke, sometimes I'm faster on the two stroke, but I'm always very very close to the same. My father (who is still pretty darn quick for his age) on the other hand is always faster on the two stroke than the four stroke. It depends on the rider.

No, but they may always be faster with 100% more displacement.

No, but they may always be faster with 100% more displacement.

exactly

to you guys who were talking about rocky hill. Im looking to buy a 250f or a 125 and try riding on that track. I have never ridden on the track before and currently ride a ttr125le four stroke trail bike in the woods. I hav ridden a 250f and like the power of it. I have also ridden an 85 two stroke and really like the power and weight of the bike in the woods. What bike would you guys recommend for me that I would ride mostly in trails but also would like to try at rocky hill. thanks for any input.

yeah i agree more to the rider than bike its self and i seen some amazing lap times on a yz125 and yz250 if a good rider is on the bike , i think the 2 stroke would give the 250f a great challenge