Did I Get Ripped Off?? Please Help!!!!

I decided i needed to go buy some new tires......whenver i get anything for any of my motorsports i always buy it off e-bay or from whereever and put it on myself i hit up the forums for guidance.......

but wheels and tires are just a little to much for me to handle......

so i went to this new shop about a mile from my house.......

cycle nation powersports......

just wanted tires,, but once busted down the rear rims spokes where crappy just about all where loose,, and then i noticed there was a good sized crack on th rim all the way through ,,, so they all were like man you were riding on that and made a big deal bout it they said "you need a new rim" so i just said the hell with it i wanted new reims anyway also there was like three warps in the rear rim as well it was crap............so..(i wanted to buy some DNA rims cuz i thought there were the best).. but got some excels they said those were better anyway:::

they sold me:

front tire D756 80/100-21-----------------------------60.95

rear tire d756 120/80-19------------------------------68.95

rim lock----------------------------------------------- 5.50

front tube 275/300-21--------------------------------- 8.95

(excel) spoke set 19x2.15----------------------------- 79.95

excel rim 2.15x19" 32h-black--------------------------167.00

and then for labor the mechanics said ---------------- 120.00

state tax--------------------------------------------- 17.86

order and delivery fees---------------------------------14.80

TOTAL ----------------------------------------------$543.96

but for some reason the reciapt i have says $549.35 which is waht i paid........im like really upset but did they really rip me off that bad or is that about the typical price to be charged nevermind all the labor fees and all that overall was that a good price or what?????

looks normal to me

I don't think that you got ripped off. I paid about the same price two years ago for the same work. Labor is what jacks the price up, but it looks like they only charged you two hours. Most shops charge a half an hour just to change a tire! Anyways, I just taught myself to lace rims so I can spend my $120 on something else.

Thats retail, your used to Ebay where stuff is cheaper...

no dude. you didnt get ripped off. you actually got a decent deal. this is what my shop charged me (in CANADIAN FUNDS!!!)

front tire Kenda carlsbad 70$

rear tire Kenda carlsbad 90$

rim lock 15$

front tube Moose nitrogen tubes, 40$ each

(excel) spoke set never bought one. 80$ sounds right

I paid 600$ CAD for DNA rims off ebay

and then for labor to get them installed, plus brake pads, new chain, new brake rotor... the bill was just under 800$!!!!

TOTAL ----------------------------------------------about 1200$ CAD for new rims, new tires, few other new things.

you got a decent deal. one thing about this thread sparked a question, im gonna make a thread now.

OMG!!!! really..... thanks so much guys thats what i needed to hear i was kinda acting mean towards them when i was paying,, but if thats a good deal then im going to be really nice when i go pick it up......

i am just used to doing the e-bay thing and thats the way to go but for wheels ill just stick to this shop then.....

how good to excel rims compare to the others???????

i thought dna's were like the best????

OMG!!!! really..... thanks so much guys thats what i needed to hear i was kinda acting mean towards them when i was paying,, but if thats a good deal then im going to be really nice when i go pick it up......

i am just used to doing the e-bay thing and thats the way to go but for wheels ill just stick to this shop then.....

how good to excel rims compare to the others???????

i thought dna's were like the best????

DNA is pretty good IMO.

its hard to way which is better between the excel rims and DNAs... I think theyre pretty close.

theyre both towards the bottom (cheaper) end of the rim spektrum I think. You can spend upwards of 2000$ on a set of rims. I believe the hub also has a lot to do with his expensive it is.

WARP 9 rims are pretty nice and expensive, as well as talon hubs.

someone correct me if im wrong.

i wish there was a list that showed all the rims available on the market,,,with priceing from highest to lowest with ratings along side it.......

theyre both towards the bottom (cheaper) end of the rim spektrum I think. You can spend upwards of 2000$ on a set of rims.

:p No. Excels are toward the top...not bottom. Also $2000 better be whole WHEEL SETS, and not just a RIM like the OP bought.

next time buy all the shit and take it in with you...

the real question is have you learned anything from all this? I think you got treated fair but no specail deals. I can't say for sure but your loose spokes could have been at the root of what destroyed your rim the first time. Learn how to properly check them and tighten them. There is a right way to do it, if you just crank one down whenever it feels loose they can strip and you can pull your rim out of true. I use a fasstway spoke torque wrench. For some reason stock honda spokes seem to always come loose. Didn't notice it on my yzf or ktm (excels). Bottom line don't forget the wheel maintenance.

No lube

No lube

what do you mean "no lube"

is it common practice for a shop to lube up the rear axle upon reassembly i dont see why it wouldnt be.....is it one of those things you gotta ask for ?

I dont think that is what he was referring to by " NO LUBE" .. You got it dry, not a deal just a retail price...and who said excels are equal to DNA's wow thats a first for me... EXCELS imo are the way to go...

oh okay well heres a couple pics of what it looked like after they gave me all my goodies...

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Black rims do look cool.

I dont know about price, I'm sponsored by Excel, but I do know they are very high quality products. I had a set on my 07 that I raced on for a year, and practiced on for half a year, then sold to a friends son. He just now came by a week ago for the spline drive spoke wrenches to tighten them back up. IMO that is QUALITY. Dont get me wrong I checked them after every weekend, but they never even offered to come loose at all.

excels are IMO the best rims you can buy. DNAs( which is what i have) are the best quality of cheap wheels. you got a nice setup and fair dealer price, but you can get a whole DNA wheel set (rim, spoke, hub, front and back) for about that same price. (granted that doesnt include your tires)

looking back i think the price for the rim was a little high. you could have got the excel a60 rim for that

It all looks very good compared to my area. I don't know if some people have "special" hookups or something, but I think you did very well. You got dunlap 756's cheaper than I can find on ebay right now. Best I can do at a dealer is $75 a piece. I think excel are the best rims for the money. Plus $120 to mount 2 tires and lace a new rear wheel......I think that's a steal! They charge $60 just to mount tires around here. And lacing a rim takes way more time than mounting tires. But like others have said, depends on your area and if you have the ability and tools to do it.