Garmin Legend GPS Question

So went to Ocotillo Wells(so cal desert) this Easter Weekend. I set up a GPS Easter Egg Hunt for the kids in our camp. I did the same thing as I usually do when on rides. Mark location, name it and hit OK. Then when setting up the first group to find their teem egg, the compass arrow was pointing a complete oposite direction. What the heck could I have done wrong? Again, I use it on rides and never had that kind of problem. I get within a few feet of the Marked spot. On the egg hunt, not even close.

FYI Very clear day not a cloud in the sky.

Just thinking out loud here, but I know there used to be a random error signal sent out by the Air Force's Navstar Satellites when GPS was first hitting the open markets, and it was up to 100 meters at times. Although I have heard they have all but discontinued this practice and the error signal is much smaller/non-existent now.

If it was a 50 ft error signal, this might account for the wrong heading.:p

Selective availability was ended by Clinton with an executive order. How far off were you? What model Legend? What was your estimated margin of error. If your error was fifty feet, for example, fifty feet when hiding, plus fifty feet when searching equals 100 feet.

Thanks Guys,

I'm not totally sure but, is it because my Legend doesn't have the electronic compas?:lol: But it didn't do very well even when moving.:cry:

I'm so confused that I may just get a new Garmin with electronic Compas.:p

The electronic compass just means that it knows what way is north while standing still. The big advantage to the newer units is the high sensitivity receivers. They get a sat. lock in even the thickest tree cover. A little bit of practice will help you get better results.

Thanks Guys,

I'm not totally sure but, is it because my Legend doesn't have the electronic compas?:lol: But it didn't do very well even when moving.:cry:

I'm so confused that I may just get a new Garmin with electronic Compas.:p

I don't believe that the Legend has an electronic compass, so you must be moving in order for it to determine compass headings.

The signal strength and the number of satellites being received at any given time will affect the accuracy, as well.

Correct CO. It also has a known issue with a ribbon cable so when it starts with display problems PM me and I'll find the link to the fix for you.