E Model head Pipe Installed on S model

So I picked up an E model head pipe over the winter on ebay for $20 bucks shipped. I had read a little about the install, sounded fairly straight forward. Other guys had talked about taking in the stock muffler to an exhaust shop and getting the header opening expanded to accomodate the bigger header. I did this and it cracked the pipe :p

So the next day I took it elsewhere, had them cut off the cracked portion and weld a piece on to fit the E header. Went fairly well, pretty ugly weld though. Once I ground and painted it not too bad.

Finally get to take it for a ride:banana: A little disapointing, maybe I was expecting too much because I can't really say I notice a difference. I recently installed an FCR39 and it gave a nice boost, but the header, again no noticable increase.

For anyone who has installed the E header with the stock muffler have you noticed a difference?

I do wonder if the jetting has a big impact? I jetted to Eddies specs but for an aftermarket muffler. Eddie said 160main with current set up and 165 main with the KXF250 muffler I had planned to put on (wasn't as easy as I hoped) So I have the 165 main in. Bike seems to run fine but will I notice a power increase dropping to the 160 main? Is this why the E header didn't have the desired effect. Or as said before am I expecting too much?

Stock muffler is the constriction.

I think your main is to big. Stock exh. 155 is recommended.

I have a full yosh with modded trc med. comp. s.a. 160 main.

I knew with a 2 stroke the smaller main when needed will give a crisper throttle respone but i wasn't sure if it would be the same with the 4 stroke. Like I said the bike seems to run good. Eddie had said go with the 160 main for this set up, only reason I put in the 165 cause I thought I would be putting on the other muffler. I think I will put in the 160 and try.

Main s/b a 155.

In the US, a S/SM muffler is the same internally as a E model. Both flow the same. I think this is the case in CAN too.

E header is good for about 1/2 Hp, too little to measure with a pat. pending "Butt-O-Meter".

Thanks William, guess I'll try the 155. Will update on Thursday, that's when I'll have time to do the swap.

New question following along the same topic.

If I were to install a slip on now that I have installed the E header, I would have to go with the E model muffler? Correct?

I've read about guys putting the E muffler on S models and just using one of the peg mounts to button it up? Is this accurate?

Pretty much. LOL, you could get a slip on for a S and expand it.... Keep in mind, the gains of a slip on are not much. Bang for the buck, a full system (MRD) is the way to go.

Anyone know if the powerbomb headpipe will work with the stock S muffler?

I have a near-new E muffler if you need one :p

I have a near-new E muffler if you need one :p

Thanks mjroupp but I think the S muffler I'm running is the same.

Pretty much. LOL, you could get a slip on for a S and expand it.... Keep in mind, the gains of a slip on are not much. Bang for the buck, a full system (MRD) is the way to go.

Is the MRD going to give you a noticable power increse with a stock engine? (engine is stock but I have the FCR installed)

I installed an e-header that i got for cheap on my sm. Maybe noticed a little in low end throttle response but i really didn't notice much. I've been told that the FCR will give you 3-4 horses and a full exhaust like MRD will give you 2-3 horses. Still waiting on parts for my new to me FCR 39 so I can get her mounted.:p

Main s/b a 155.

In the US, a S/SM muffler is the same internally as a E model. Both flow the same. I think this is the case in CAN too.

E header is good for about 1/2 Hp, too little to measure with a pat. pending "Butt-O-Meter".

IS THIS TRUE FOR ALL E MUFFLERS OFR JUST POST 2007?

THE EARLIER E AND K MUFFS I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND HAVE LESS BAFFLES INSIDE.

AFAIK, in the US, all DRZ muffelers have the same baffling. Only differences are the diameter of the joint an mounting points.

Anyone know if the powerbomb headpipe will work with the stock S muffler?

The question is will the headpipe fit up to the mid-pipe.

Huge waste of money and effort A good full system is the only way to go.

So I picked up an E model head pipe over the winter on ebay for $20 bucks shipped. I had read a little about the install, sounded fairly straight forward. Other guys had talked about taking in the stock muffler to an exhaust shop and getting the header opening expanded to accomodate the bigger header. I did this and it cracked the pipe :p

So the next day I took it elsewhere, had them cut off the cracked portion and weld a piece on to fit the E header. Went fairly well, pretty ugly weld though. Once I ground and painted it not too bad.

Finally get to take it for a ride:banana: A little disapointing, maybe I was expecting too much because I can't really say I notice a difference. I recently installed an FCR39 and it gave a nice boost, but the header, again no noticable increase.

For anyone who has installed the E header with the stock muffler have you noticed a difference?

I do wonder if the jetting has a big impact? I jetted to Eddies specs but for an aftermarket muffler. Eddie said 160main with current set up and 165 main with the KXF250 muffler I had planned to put on (wasn't as easy as I hoped) So I have the 165 main in. Bike seems to run fine but will I notice a power increase dropping to the 160 main? Is this why the E header didn't have the desired effect. Or as said before am I expecting too much?

Hi Rob, :lol:

Sorry this is too late now, but just for information, there's two ways to expand the muffler opening. One way is a hydraulically controlled segmented piece that spreads out... usually too much. Not good.

The other way grips the pipe while a smooth bullet shaped piece slightly larger than the stock opening is hydraulically slowly pushed into the opening, gently opening it up only by that preset amount. Good.

I'm currently modifying another S/SM stock exhaust and had it done by the second method at a local muffler shop and it worked as smooth as silk.

Take Care,

Greg

Thanks Greg, yeah the shop I went to used the first method wit the segmented expanded. Not good is right.

So, in regard to the jetting. I went through my jets today and no 155, only a 160. I put it in and went for a ride. Now I understand the FCR hype!!! This thing rips now, it's a wheelie machine!!

So now the question is, do still try the 155 or stick with the 160?

Did I mention this thing rips!!!!!!!