The 105 Club

Wanted to create a place to gather info about the beloved 105's. The goal is to have this information in one place, i.e. post jetting, susp, tips and tricks and other pertinent info related to this bike.

Provide your personal information concerning setup, links to other threads or webpages, changes made and results, etc.

If this goes well, this just may be stickied.:p

Got my wife a 2008 105 sx that we use for easy trail riding. Stock jetting, one step leaner on the needle, 44:1 Motorex. Spooges a bunch, will be jetting to work on that once we get more break in time, maybe try a different mix as well.

She loves this bike! Started on a TTR125, switched to a CRF150R, but that was too much for the type of riding she does. The 105 power delivery is very predictable, and she loves the light weight.

Got my wife a 2008 105 sx that we use for easy trail riding. Stock jetting, one step leaner on the needle, 44:1 Motorex. Spooges a bunch, will be jetting to work on that once we get more break in time, maybe try a different mix as well.

She loves this bike! Started on a TTR125, switched to a CRF150R, but that was too much for the type of riding she does. The 105 power delivery is very predictable, and she loves the light weight.

We've had the same 3 bikes (and didn't like the 150R). The 105 is a GREAT little bike.

I run 32:1 in her bike and went down 1 size on the pilot jet. That fixed the spooge problem.

Also, has anyone figured out how to get a kickstand on these bikes without any welding?

I haven't found anything yet. I'm going to take the ProMotoBillet kickstand off of the 150r and see if I can't figure out a way to fit it on there nicely.

walloftvs, thanks for the advice. I'll try the pilot jet first--I'm trying to run out of the same gas can as my 250 (which I haven't settled on a mixture yet either).

I need to mess with the jetting since it's getting warmer. I went one leaner on the needle after break-in, but it's still too spooogy. I will try the leaner pilot jet as well.

FWIW it's an 08 105XC, not sure if it's a whole lot different than the SX.

Bump!

481458210_9SUK9-M.jpg

I have got my wife's bike to run good and not spooge all over the place. I had to go to the HH needle in the #1 position and a 35pj and a 115mj.

I had a heck of a time jetting this bike because I would ride it and it would seem fine to me but she would ride it and basically just idle around and it would run rich and start to load up. I had to learn to ride it like she did it when I went to jet it.

I should also let you know that I am at 2200" and about +10deg C. I also run a fuel rich mixture of 80-1 opti-2 and I am not shy with the filter oil Bel-Ray, very thick and waterproof but does restrict air flow a bit.

Not sure what I am going to do this summer when the temps go up and we head to the mountains but by then she will have some more hours on it and she will open it up and make it work and it will still be good.

Went riding yesterday, down to a 42 pj and as lean as the stock needle will go but still too rich. It was 80 degrees, though.

What's this HH needle? Where are people ending up jetting wise?

Bump!

I'm glad this thread was started!!! My husband and I just picked up new bikes in April - I got a new 2008 KTM 105 SX. I'm really enjoying this bike - it's definitly a step up from my old 2001 KX 100. We ride mountain single track from 5000 to 8000 feet in elevation and usually only ride in 45 - 75 degree weather. (Cant do hot!) Anyway - we jetted it according to reccommended manufacturer specs in their book and the power band feels great in every gear! Put a silencer on it, raised the bars with some inexpensive spacers and about chopped 3/4" off each bar end. We got my suspension pretty dialed in - it feels great and it's much better than what I was on before!

My only complaint about this bike is the levers and it may not be so much about the bike but more so about my short fingers - my clutch hand is especially getting fatigued way sooner than it should be. I cannot comfortabley reach my clutch lever and I have it adjusted as far in as possible. I have checked out levers by ASV and even though they say adjustable, I wonder if they will adjust closer to the bars than the stock KTM lever does? Anyone had any experience with this issue?

We got the KTM levers which are adjustable for reach, made a big difference for my wife's small hands.

We're battling a clutch issue. The clutch doesn't disengage properly when the engine is not running. When the engine is running, the clutch works fine. But when it's off, you can't pull in the clutch with the bike in gear and roll it around. This affects cold starting, you can't start the bike in any gear when the engine isn't warmed up. When it is warmed up, you can start it in gear but the bike will lurch forward a bit so you have to hold the brake at the same time. And if it is in gear, it is harder to start.

Anyone have this same problem?

I haven't found anything yet. I'm going to take the ProMotoBillet kickstand off of the 150r and see if I can't figure out a way to fit it on there nicely.

walloftvs, thanks for the advice. I'll try the pilot jet first--I'm trying to run out of the same gas can as my 250 (which I haven't settled on a mixture yet either).

Ok, so I did a top-end job on my wife's bike this weekend and doublechecked what I had for jets in the carb

40 pilot, 2 turns out on the a/s

stock needle, 2nd clip from top

118 main

The bike still runs on the rich side when I'm really on the gas; I think the next thing I'm going to try is leaning out the main to either a 115 or 112 and see how that works.

I also think I have a leaky water pump seal -- the gear oil on the last change looked like chocolate milk. Any tips for that job?

481458210_9SUK9-M.jpg

I have the exact same bike and its the BEST bike EVER. It does everything that i have ever asked it to do.

I havent had any problems and am running 100% stock except for we got a spark arrester/exhaust pipe for it.

The only thing is that I can only go about 38-40 miles in the desert. Any ideas on why it might be using so much fuel? Or is that typical for the 105's in that type of terrain?

The 105's have a small gas tank, that sounds normal for mileage. IMS makes oversized tanks for it.

I installed a Rekluse Pro and she loves it in the technical stuff. I have a blast with it as well--I want another 105 for me!

i had a 2006 105. it was pretty awesome never ridden a 09 though. good luck with the jetting on a 105. they spooge like crazy

the xc has a kick stand so should'nt you be able to just buy that part and put it on the sx? or is there a drop down bracket welded on the xc frame? Curious because currently looking for a 105 for my son, we ride mostly trails but some track and would want a kick stand for sure whether sx or xc