Big guy needs a first trail bike!

Hey all, I know this is an old old question... anyway I need advice on buying a first dirt bike. I'm 6' 230 lbs. I want to do trail riding, but I like the jumps too. I rode a 125 a long time ago, don't even know what stroke it was. I just know it seemed like plenty of bike, but I was much smaller then. I'm somewhat limited on what's available here, but there are some xr250s around. Hard to find a 400. The wr seemed cool, but I hear the maintenance is really high. KDX 200 is out of the question, unless I want to travel the continent to get one... Pretty sure I want a thumper, is a 250 enough for me to have fun on??? Thanks for the awesome advice!

I was in kinda of the same boat as you. I was looking at a CRF250 but didnt know of it was going to be enough. I traded in my 00 YZ426F for an 06 CRF 250, and I dont regret it at all. I rode it a few days ago and I was just as fast if not faster than my buddy on his KTM 450. Now granted it wont win no drag race against his bike, but it holds its own on the track and trails. Oh and im 6'2 and about 240 with gear on. So good luck hope this help ya.

The wr seemed cool, but I hear the maintenance is really high.

I have a WR250F and the maintenance is not high if you plan to trail ride it like I do. In my opinion, the WR is the most reliable, race-oriented 250F out there. There is also the WR250R, which is a street legal dual sport. It is a lot slower than the WR250F and about 50 lbs. heavier.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. My WR250R is a little big for me to be learning how to ride in the dirt. I struggle in rocky terrain and I discovered recently that I struggle going uphill in rutted turns like I found a Hollister a few weeks ago. I never stand on the pegs and I never put my foot out. My right knee will need surgery in the next year or two, so standing up for any length of time will not be a good idea.

I am 55, out of shape, riding my first motorcycle with one year of experience now, mostly on the road.

I am considering getting a smaller (lower seat height) lighter dirt only green sticker bike. It seems reasonable that it would be easier for me to develop dirt riding skills on a smaller bike. After perhaps a year or so I would out grow it.

There is a small chance that my daughter my be persuaded to get off of the ATV some of the time and ride on two wheels. So I could keep the bike for her to use. I could still use it for trail riding with my son, but on fireroads I could ride my WR250R and let her ride the dirt bike.

So I think my interest is in a bike that would be good for her for fire roads. She is 29 and about 5 foot 4 and rode a motorcycle once around the block. She is pretty athletic.

I think what I want is the biggest bike suitable for her with the following requirements:

1. must be 4 stroke

2. must be electric start (Kick may or may not be present)

3. must be California green sticker (could be plated as long as it is light enough)

One thought is the Yamaha TTR 125. I have not thought past that yet.

It sounds like you and I are both looking for almost the same thing.

I think a WR250 is going to be WAAY too tall for a 5'4" girl. I think you would be better off with the TTR125 or a CRF150F for her. I have ridden a TTR125that a friend owns, and for a play bike/trail bike, it is not that bad. The TTR230 or CRF230 are also nice play bikes but also may be too tall for her, but would be better for you than the smaller bikes.

Wayne

You would probably be able to get more use out of an xr400, but a 250 would be fine to start. You might consider a RMX 250, my friend got one, a 97 not too long ago and you can find them cheap. I was really impressed with it as a trail bike, very friendly power for a 2 stroke, but would walk away from a kdx200. I think you would need to get the suspension done on whatever you get as soon as you got comfortable and a little faster. Bar risers and a tall seat also do wonders. XR400 would probably be your best bet.

I have a 03 KDX 200 and it is a very fine trail bike, no it ain't a motocross bike, but it has more than enough power to satisfy all but an elite few who can use all the power they can get. It will suck the paint off a stock XR250. It IS an enduro bike and is sprung that way, so it won't like big jumps unless you re-spring it, but it is very low maintainence, and will get the front wheel in the air in second gear in a heart beat, yet it is very beginner friendly. AND they are relatively cheap to buy, I gave $1000 for mine a while back.

Wayne

I weigh in at 240+ and am riding a 2001 DRZ 400 E. I adjusted all of my suspension for my weight. This is a great and reliable trail bike, and its nice to have electric start. I cannot keep up with my son and his friends on their YZF-250s, but I am out to enjoy the ride, and I take this bike on most black diamond trails. I was riding at Pozo not long ago, and had looped out on a hill climb, and another big guy comes riding up on a low geared CRF-250 X, and told me he got rid of his DRZ, and loves the CRF. I am not ready to sell my DRZ, but I sure like the idea of a lighter bike. But I enjoy the heck out of my DRZ.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. I found a CRF250x 05 model, and picked it up. It was well maintained and in great shape! I love this thing! I take it to an ORV park here in GA, and it hauls me around just fine. I haven't even come close to topping out on it. I know it's heavier than an mx, but I think it's better on the trails. The electric start is so nice, and I'm glad I chose a bike with that. Hondas seem to have a good reliability history, and plenty of low end torque. Just what I needed.

Get a 450. You will soon grow tired of the lack of power a 250f has.

Also, you may want to consider a 250 2 stroke for ease of maintenance and the low operating cost, 4 strokes are extremely overrated, don't buy into the hype.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. I found a CRF250x 05 model, and picked it up. It was well maintained and in great shape! I love this thing! I take it to an ORV park here in GA, and it hauls me around just fine. I haven't even come close to topping out on it. I know it's heavier than an mx, but I think it's better on the trails. The electric start is so nice, and I'm glad I chose a bike with that. Hondas seem to have a good reliability history, and plenty of low end torque. Just what I needed.

Ride on!

Glad that you are happy with your purchase. :0)

Less is more - slower is faster!

• 10 months later...

Been riding the 250 for a year now. Experience, new tires, and time on the harder trails have taught me to ride smoother in the higher gears, and not wind out the lower ones so much. I think a bigger bore would do the trick, but I sure am curious of the KTM 300 XC-W. I ride trails mostly, but like to hit the track once in a while. The 250X just doesn't seem to hit it on the tracks. Mmmmm... 300 XC-W is only 221 lbs. too. Tasty.