hey all

i am 14 and am about 170cm tall and weigh about 60kg

i am stuck on which crf

an 07 or 08 150 f

or an 07 or 08 230f

i will also have about $500 to mod it what mods would you do and what bike

thanks

byrnesy

go big or go home.. aha jk.. id go with the 230 itll last u longer.

Ahhh, metric conversions, but you're only 14 and are still growing so getting the 230 might be a better bet in the long run. I am also assuming you have riding experience, right? (I hate to assume).

My opinion only, but I always look for leftover bikes when buying. I have always been able to get a great deal just by buying last year's (or the model year before) bike.

There are a bunch of threads here about initial mods to make. I always uncork the airbox, set up for trail riding (bark busters, skid plate), proper jetting (again, multiple threads discuss this), etc.

230! Nuff said!

get the 230!!!

230 I made the mistake to go 150.

yes i have the ability to handle either bike.

i have a kawasaki kx 100 but could not do anything but ride it 110 percent everywhere and i want something that i could do mustering and other small things as well as making and endurocross track. i already have a big enduro loop a motocross track and a small arenacross track

these bikes will not do as good on the tracks.

crf 150f/230f for girlfriends, moms, and wives..crf150rb or a crf250.. I know the 250 is large..I believ you are almost as big as me and I ride cr250 no problem and my sons cr85 is way more fun than the 230f any day..

go 230! im 14 and on a 250 and when im bored i ride the 230 and i have a blast on it!

I too live on a farm in Australia and the 230 is the bike for you. I have a 230 at present but earlier made the mistake of going the 150. I found myself riding 5th gear everywhere. 230 is great for mustering and cruising and good top speed with its 6th gear and has reasonable power delivery.

ok we have established what bike.. the crf 230

but what mods would you do with about $400 american dollars

ok we have established what bike.. the crf 230

but what mods would you do with about $400 american dollars

you could be "cool" and blow it all away on a graphics kit:lol:

Or you could be realistic, and buy a good set of tires, handlebars, an adjustable fuel screw, and a cam if you need more power. Definitely, definitely get good tires, you will be so thankful. I decided to stick with the stock tires and now i have a torn ACL and a broken tibia and have not gotten to ride for a little over 4 months because of a front wash out :p Good tires, proper jetting, and grip donuts are all i need to have fun... but this idea of an xr250 carb is stuck in the back of my head hehehe...

I started with a Honda 50 then a Yamaha 100 then crf150 and when i was 14 a 230. I chose a 230 for the bigger wheels (getting over logs) and extra height. Also compared to a 250 the 230 is bulletproof.:p

I bought a pro circuit t-4 exhaust system, but to save some $$ remove the baffle and rejet. If you are riding in the bush get some bark busters/hand guards and a bash plate.

I went for a xr250 carb and should be trying it out tomorrow.(It was tuned when my bike was serviced.)

I would have to agree with some thoughts on a 230 it is a great bike, but u r still grown, my son at age 14 grew out of his 150 and into a wr250 it was tall the first year, but at 15 now he will zip by me on my 450 on the trails lol, if you want to putt putt the 230, if you want to jump and mx'n go to more of a mx 125 2 stoke or a 250 4 stroke, the wr250f is sooo easy to ride?? just my 2cents :lol::p

If I had to start over again with 400 bucks, I would do the following things:

Jetting: I believe everything cost me $28, remove the airbox snorkel, remove the small black exhaust baffle.

Gearing: I went 14/48

Awesome deal on rear sprockets---> http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=124&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=24558#vehicleSelect

Uni or other aftermarket air filter, maybe $30.

TIRES: stock tires are trash, and the front tire is flat out dangerous.

Look up some tire reviews based on the type of conditions you ride in, should be around $120 for both tires.

Ohh, and don't worry about jumping, the 230 is heavy, but it can still get some air under it. Jump3.jpg

i have heard that the sidewinder 428 chain conversion kit is good is this true

crf 150f/230f for girlfriends, moms, and wives..crf150rb or a crf250.. I know the 250 is large..I believ you are almost as big as me and I ride cr250 no problem and my sons cr85 is way more fun than the 230f any day..

Before making blanket statements and completely "dissing" the 150 and 230, you need to quantify the remarks.

For trails the 150/230 will destroy a CR85, the 85 is way to Pipey for real trail riding. Keep in Mind, the 150/230 are TRAIL bikes.........they do their job very well.

My riding buddy just got rid of his RM 250 because he couldnt hang with the "wife bike" he traded for a drz400.

the 150/ 230 stock are very weak on suspension, add emulators for $175 and a works shock for $600.00 and it will become a trail beast. :p

Before making blanket statements and completely "dissing" the 150 and 230, you need to quantify the remarks.

For trails the 150/230 will destroy a CR85, the 85 is way to Pipey for real trail riding. Keep in Mind, the 150/230 are TRAIL bikes.........they do their job very well.

My riding buddy just got rid of his RM 250 because he couldnt hang with the "wife bike" he traded for a drz400.

the 150/ 230 stock are very weak on suspension, add emulators for $175 and a works shock for $600.00 and it will become a trail beast. :p

negative the f series are wife bikes lol just kidding sort of ....

if your a good rider you could easily do much better on a cr 85 then a 150f/230f in a hare scramble . even if there are a few tight sections and i know tight i live in the north east . but the 230/150f do have their advantages there just not as much as a work out in trails . but for when the trail opens up most people want some power on tap . so that's why i suggest a 250x or wr 250.

I like honda's, but i would never reccomend a 250X

the valve and maint issues are just not worth it. adjust valves every 10-20 hours...........i ride 8 hours when my bike goes to the woods............im not adjusting valves every third ride!!!!

The wr250 is a great bike, but it is watercooled. Knock off a radiator and you are in for a long push back to the truck.

The 230 when properly tricked out will hang with a WR250 with no problem. its not cheap to get it to that point...........but with some $$$ it is a killer in the woods.

the benefit to the bike when completed is........BULLET proof..........air cooled....easy maintainence....................and if you do manage to wear it out you can move your upgrade parts to a used "as new" bike. You can easily find a 230 that hass no time on it for $2,000.00 or less.

We tend to be a little biased in this room..............but it is the crf150/230 room