Another Enclosed Trailer Delima

Ok so here goes..........

I have done a lot of searching and have found a lot of good advice on thumpertalk about enclosed trailers, but I am more undecided now than ever!:p I have a 1994 4x4 Toyota 4Runner with a V-6 and 5-speed manual transmission and want an enclosed trailer to haul 4 full size bikes.

I want a work bench in the front to put my rolling toolbox under, a small air compressor, and other miscellaneous items. So that takes up about 2 ft to start with, so how big/small of a trailer can I get away with? I was thinking of a 6x12, but can I put a workbench up front and still fit 4 bikes? or will I be overloading the 4Runner? I know that it is not a HP monster to begin with but I am not expecting to be passing everyone on the highway either. (I use to have a 1988 Mazda B2200 4-cylinder that I would tow a 5x8 open deck trailer with 2-3 bikes and then two more in the bed, so I am use to slow goings!)

So I was thinking that by staying 6ft wide it would stay inline with the 4Runner. But Should I look at a V-nose instead of a flat nose? I want a nice workbench up front and wonder if a V-nose would have adequate area to make a nice work bench. But if it is a 10ft v-nose is that 10ft plus the V? or including the V? if it is plus the "v" would a 6x10 v-nose work better than a 6x12 flat nose? or should I look for a 6x12 v-nose?

Oh yeah and I will be looking for used trailers to keep the cost down.

Sorry for the long rambling post!:lol:

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-mt-

If you had a 6x12 trailer with 6x10 of it available for fitting four bikes, I don't see why you couldn't make them fit. It would be tight, but if I can get three full size bikes on my 5x8...

Load two bikes as far forward as they will go, facing front to back; the other two bikes could go behind them, facing side to side in opposite directions to keep the bars from banging...

The attachment isn't accurate or even close to scale, but you'll see what I'm getting at.

trailer loading.JPG

The advertised size is the square box layout of the trailer, it does not include the "V" space.....length of the straight side wall and width of the box.

For example, I have a 5x10 V nose, but from the interior of the nose to the interior of the ramp door, it measures 13'4".

For the average trail or track repairs, I think a bench that is in the V area would be more than adequate in space and size.

I think mine was a 6x12 - single axle, torsion bar, barn doors. Towed it with a Toyota Taco, 3.4L/5 spd. Turned out to be a bit more than the Taco was happy with - wife even thought so and said I should get something bigger (as a tow vehicle...smarties).

Anyway, might consider that for your vehicle. We were doing a lot of freeway hauling - 200-300 mile trips for racing. So it did make a difference.

If you don't have a good tow rig, then you definately want a V-nose. Either that or invest in a Diesel (01+) and you don't have to worry about what you tow and get better fuel mileage too. But even though I have a modded diesel, I wish I had a V-nose. It makes a big difference on the highway.

But if you want room for a bench, you have to give up something else. Give to get, basically.

SAPPRES you a 12b

If you had a 6x12 trailer with 6x10 of it available for fitting four bikes, I don't see why you couldn't make them fit. It would be tight, but if I can get three full size bikes on my 5x8...

Load two bikes as far forward as they will go, facing front to back; the other two bikes could go behind them, facing side to side in opposite directions to keep the bars from banging...

The attachment isn't accurate or even close to scale, but you'll see what I'm getting at.

Also take into consideration most full size dirtbikes are 7' in length. If you want to do the sideways thing you will need a bit wider. I think you could do the 6x12 plus v-nose with your truck. If loaded properly you should be able to tow it just fine.

I tow a 6x10 v-nose hallmark (inside rear door to inside v-nose is 11'4"). I tow with a Toyota FJCruiser 4.0 v6, cai,, headers, catback exhaust, rear gearing changed lower. Wind drag is like a parachute, loaded or not. Straight line towing is fine. Hills or even worse, mountain passes and i would not want to pull any more. 3 full size bikes w/gear, tools, coolers, etc is perfect. No working to make things fit. 4 can fit, just a little more planning.(ie. making sure pegs arent rubbing motor cases, bars arent hitting side walls, etc)