Easy to understand suspension overview on 07 yz250f

I'm trying to understand all my adjustment options on my bike and there relationship to one another but have been lost in all the termanology. looking for an easy explanation of how the front shocks and clickers work how the rear shock and clickers work and how the front and rear adjustments work with and effect each other. I understand static sag and race sag but I don't know how the dampner and the rebound work and how they relate each other. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can kinda help here:

so you understand sag, so you get that the springs are just to hold your body weight up at a certain level in the stroke. With the wrong springs you could either be constantly sitting halfway through the suspension travel, or up so high you'd never use more than 1/3 of the travel.

If you only had springs, and no damping in your suspension, you would be constantly boing-boing-boinging all over the place. So they want to slow down the springs a little bit.

Compression damping is slowing down the "down motion" on the springs. The more compression damping you have, the slower you'll go down.

Rebound damping is for when you have headed down as far as you are going to go (like landing a jump or whatever), and now you're headed back up. Without rebound damping, you would just wazooey back up, almost catching air coming back up from landing so hard (maybe you would catch air!). It slows down your upward movement. The more rebound damping you have, the slower the bike comes back up after the suspension is compressed. Some people get confused and thing "this thing is coming up too fast, I want less rebound out of this thing". Well, it's rebound DAMPING; so how much do you want the rebound dampened? A lot? Then click it clockwise. A little? Go the other way.

Your forks and shocks are just tubes filled with fluid. The compression and rebound damping is a piston-like thing with holes in it going through the fluid. There are metal shims that limit how much fluid comes through the holes. You can use your clickers as well, but if you can't adjust your forks to your liking, you might have to get them revalved (different shims, maybe in a different order).

is that what you meant?

Pretty good explanation by tranqwhl, it gets a lot more complicated and frustrating, I come onto this site every day as I am obsessed with mastering the ins and outs of suspension. I have been at it for 2 years now and I'm slowly getting to understand all of the affects of changes made to susp.

Its fun, but frustrating sometimes as I constantly look for a better set-up!

Start with the basics like playing with comp, reb on the forks(turn like 5 clicks a time) to get the feeling of what it does, then on the shock.

And remember there are only a few must do's(as in sag, correct springs etc) the rest is personal preference on how you like the bike to react-this took me a long while to understand, I was duplicating pro's set-ups of the same weight and they varied so much from being too soft, too stiff, or just plain weird.....

there is nothing more satisfying than getting susp dailed in and your bike doing exactly what you want it to do, and for me being a heavy rider it was a challenge as where I am there are not a lot of good tuners to help,but there are guys here that are very helpfull and patient

good luck and enjoy

Change or service your own forks to start with to see how the above goes into play. Might give you a better visual.

I stole this from here http://www.teknikracing.com/information;jsessionid=0a01034d1f431cc755aec46d4b3f8935db02fb4ad08c.e3eSbNmTb3mTe34Pa38Ta38Pchb0

A really great set up guide I think.

To get started, I’ve included a quote from Ross Maeda of Enzoracing in the US. Ross has a way of

making complex systems seem simple…

“To understand how to start adjusting your suspension, you have to understand the basic

components. Both the forks and shock have two key elements: the spring and dampening.

The spring is load or position-sensitive, which basically means its job is to hold the rider's weight.

The dampening - which is what the clickers control - is a speed-sensitive element.

The spring is really just a dumb piece of metal that's bending. It's like a trampoline: if you stand on

a trampoline, it holds you up; but if you jump on it, it goes down a lot deeper and throws up equally

as high. If you just had a spring on a motorcycle - and no dampening - it would be like a car going

down the freeway without shocks; it would bounce up and down for miles.

Adding dampening to the suspension is like putting that trampoline in water. It will still support your

weight, but you don't get the springy, bouncing effect. “

Thanks for all the posts it all helps. I have been playing with my suspension alot this year and just wanted to clarify that I had what I thought I understood correct.