XR650l Turn Signals staying solid

I have a 01 XR650L and the signals are staying solid with stock signals. Also tried with aftermarket LED's. Changed stock flasher relay with a new one and is still does not work. Help please. :p

I have a 01 XR650L and the signals are staying solid with stock signals. Also tried with aftermarket LED's. Changed stock flasher relay with a new one and is still does not work. Help please. :p

Both? Or just one side?

I had a similar problem after my battery relocation mod. I found that an orange wire had become disconnected in the harness under the seat.

What bulbs are in them? If the bulbs are too low wattage the flasher on the bike won't get triggered. So if the bulbs are 12v/12W they won't flash, but if they're 12v/23W they should trigger the flasher. :lol:

What bulbs are in them? If the bulbs are too low wattage the flasher on the bike won't get triggered. So if the bulbs are 12v/12W they won't flash, but if they're 12v/23W they should trigger the flasher. :excuseme:

OD, can you reconfirm this? I have Baja Designs signals and they do not flash. I drove myself crazy switching wires, and was ready to change the relay when I read this. Mine have 12v 10W bulbs, it'd be nice if all I needed was a bulb change.

BP

I can't confirm anything about the L as I only own 600's. What I will say is 12v/10w will not flash in an XL600 or an XL 500...12/23w will..Also make sure all the earth connections for all the indicators are clean and solid at the connection and on the indicator thenselves as crappy dirty and inadequate earthing will also prevent flashing.

If this is something that just started happening then It sounds like either the stator for that circuit is dying or the battery is dying is also a possibility,

not enough juice and it wont flash.

Hook two lights up in parallel and see if they flash.

If they do flash get a solid-state flasher not the thermo

type. or save some money and build one very easy, just

google something like simple flasher circuit LM555

What bulbs are in them? If the bulbs are too low wattage the flasher on the bike won't get triggered. So if the bulbs are 12v/12W they won't flash, but if they're 12v/23W they should trigger the flasher. :excuseme:
OD, can you reconfirm this? I have Baja Designs signals and they do not flash. I drove myself crazy switching wires, and was ready to change the relay when I read this. Mine have 12v 10W bulbs, it'd be nice if all I needed was a bulb change.

BP

yes it's true...BD's and other 10w bulbs typically wil NOT trigger the flasher module...

simular to wut happens when one of the 23w bulbs burns out...no flash...oh and be careful w/ solid (non-flashing) 23w bulbs...they can melt plastic in short order :ride:

:smirk:

Dirty switch will do this.

Squirt in some wd-40 and cycle the switch 20-30 times.

Dave

Thanks all. I think it is most likely the bulbs, as they worked fine before I switched to the BD signals. Wiring is also suspect as I had to splice the BD rears in because the stock L wires are so long. Bulb change is simple so I will start there, them 2x check connections, then on to other things.

BTW, something that bugs me about the BD signals....the wire gauge is thin and really, really cheap looking. They also break more easily than the OEs. Any recc's for something small but also of a higher product quality?

BP

+1 on the bulbs. I had a DR350SE the the PO had replaced the stock signals with compact units that used 21W micro bulbs, the same size as instrument lamps. I had to special order bulbs after one burned out.

-Joe