07 crf 450r stuck in gear

I agree that its probably the shift fork but you dont have to split the cases to remove the shift fork. Just remove the shifter then remove the right side engine cover. You will have to remove the clutch assembly the ratchet mechanism for the shift drum and a couple of gears and it will pop right out.

I agree that its probably the shift fork but you dont have to split the cases to remove the shift fork. Just remove the shifter then remove the right side engine cover. You will have to remove the clutch assembly the ratchet mechanism for the shift drum and a couple of gears and it will pop right out.

That's not the shift fork.? That is the assembly that cause the drum to turn. He may have broke the shifter pawls or bent something in there that is not allowing the shift drum to turn. If the shift forks need replaced you have to split the cases to remove them.

• Like 1

This little chip out of the shift drum caused 5th gear to go out on my '07. You could always stop once you get the clutch basket off,you can get to the end of the shift drum but any thing else in the tranny is complete disassembly. My shifter wasn't stuck and it all worked except 5th gear.

001-1.jpg

My son did the same thing last year and up in Canada it cost him roughly $600.00!

It bent the shift lever which bent somethign inside.

Labour is running around $100.oo bucks an hour up here.

The parts were around $175.00

That's not the shift fork.? That is the assembly that cause the drum to turn. He may have broke the shifter pawls or bent something in there that is not allowing the shift drum to turn. If the shift forks need replaced you have to split the cases to remove them.

I meant the end of the shift shaft. Owe quite hitting me.? Just kidding man.

thanks, I got it. The shift linkage came apart from the shift pin. But I wonder if it supposed to have a shift collar on the shift pen, my 04 has a collar on it but see one on 07, could i be missing something here? could it be in the bottom of the case ? I put it back together and it works fine BUT I AM WORRIED ABOUT the shift collar . Thanks for all the help. I hope I can help someone some day.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
correction, I didnt see one on the 07.(shift collar on the shift pen)

I realize this thread is a year old... but I assume you broke the shift collar (part number 10 on the attached). Did you put a new one on there? Did you replace anything else, and have you been trouble free since? Same thing happened to my husband's '06 this weekend. Collar broke, so he is replacing the gearshift spindle (part 18) and a new collar (10).

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=532337&manufacturer=3&category=3&year=2007&model=12176

14MEB2E1_MEB4E1600B.gif

• 1 year later...

I'm hoping I can revive this thread. I have an 05 450x and this past weekend I started having a shifting issue. 1-2nd are fine but to get it into 3-5th you have to push the shifter towards the case with your foot or even your hand while on a stand. The fact that it does shift but you just have to push the shifter in makes me think it's not the forks or drum. This started happening after my rear wheel bearings exploded and the chain came off and got wedged between the shifter and front sprocket. Any sugesstions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm hoping I can revive this thread. I have an 05 450x and this past weekend I started having a shifting issue. 1-2nd are fine but to get it into 3-5th you have to push the shifter towards the case with your foot or even your hand while on a stand. The fact that it does shift but you just have to push the shifter in makes me think it's not the forks or drum. This started happening after my rear wheel bearings exploded and the chain came off and got wedged between the shifter and front sprocket. Any sugesstions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

This would have been a better new thread.

But, pull the clutch cover and the inner cover and the hub and basket to see whats happening the shifter ARM coming off the shifter shaft. You may have a problem with the ratchet if it works in first and second but not correctly in 3rd through 5th. And thats an easy fix. The cases dont have to come apart, the engine doesnt even need to come out of the chassis.

If there isnt anything wrong with the ratchet, well...you'll have to pull the engine and split the cases. You might have a broken shifter drum. The drum will break from the shift fork being slammed over in its groove in the drum and not even bend the fork sometimes.