New 2009 DRZ400SM. New Tires tomorrow.

Hey TT crew...

I'm new to TT and I wanted to show a pic or two of my bike before I put new Avon Distanzias tires on it. I have a minor warranty repair of my blinker assembly, so I am taking the tires into the shop to put on when I get my warranty repair. I'm going to have them mount my new tires at the same time. This is my first street bike and I am really loving it. I've added the Clarke 3.9 Gal. tank, Pro Moto billet rack and tomorrow I will be adding the dirt bagz (scout). With the Distanzias, I hope to take more on dirt and gravel.

This is an experiment as I want a 60/40 tire...but I just love hugging the corners on the roads where I live. Basically all I need is morphing tires and I'll be set.

looks cool :-)

are the avons better than the standards?

Karl

looks cool :-)

are the avons better than the standards?

Karl

From what I have read Avon Distanzias are supposed to be really good. Most SM riders love them. I plan on getting them as soon as my stock wheels are worn out

So far I really love the Distanzias. I took it up a really challenging dirt hill climb without a hitch and it's a dream on the pavement. Here's the latest on the mods for my '09 SM. It's my experiment for now and will keep you posted on the tire report. I am now experimenting with tire pressure for on and off road for optimum performance.

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/dvproducer/?action=view&current=IMG_2267.jpg

I'm just about to change my tires , and I have to say that the conti's which came with the bike (New 08) ,was much better than what I'm used to from my sportsbikes.

Was planning to change the tires when I picked up the bike ,but the dealer was out of the front tire ,so I decided to wait.

It's now been a year on the contis, and the rear is toast after 2800km's.

For once ,the tire is worn all the way ,no ***** stripes.

conti sms all the way. I have only tried the conti sms and the D208 but I feel it would be very hard to beat this tire. Has saved me and the bike many times already in the 1000km I have put on it.

Awesome wet performance , awesome gravel performance and awesome grip on pavement with sand/gravel on it. Superb dry pavement grip. Great in cold weather and cold pavement as well. I rode down a gravel back lane last week and was able to lift the front tire off the ground, very slightly albeit but I think I could have done better but I had to brake hard immediatly(which the tires did perfectly). Really the conti sm is a tire you dont have to worry about. Did I mention its cheap? well cheaper than a D208 at least. I love these tires :excuseme:

conti sms all the way. I have only tried the conti sms and the D208 but I feel it would be very hard to beat this tire. Has saved me and the bike many times already in the 1000km I have put on it.

Awesome wet performance , awesome gravel performance and awesome grip on pavement with sand/gravel on it. Superb dry pavement grip. Great in cold weather and cold pavement as well. I rode down a gravel back lane last week and was able to lift the front tire off the ground, very slightly albeit but I think I could have done better but I had to brake hard immediatly(which the tires did perfectly). Really the conti sm is a tire you dont have to worry about. Did I mention its cheap? well cheaper than a D208 at least. I love these tires :excuseme:

You make it very hard for me to choose between the distanzias and the conti now. Aren't the dunlop 208's the stock tire that everyone says needs to go?

You make it very hard for me to choose between the distanzias and the conti now. Aren't the dunlop 208's the stock tire that everyone says needs to go?

Yep . They "go" best up in smoke while being video taped.:excuseme:

I have studied/researched about Avon distanzias recently. I've come to a conclusion that if you're doing road/offroad, it is the tire for your sm machine.

If you're riding strictly on pavement, I would think twice in running them. Look at the contact patch on the tire, where you're going to be leaned over the furthest. The "gaps" are just as wide as the rubber.:excuseme:

these bikes sure love tires im almost due for a new set in couple k this will make a 4th rear tire and a 3rd front one ive seem to have had best luck with a sport touring tire o and i have about 12k miles on the bike i like to ride