Kick starter noise

The last time out I used the kick starter on my 2005 crf450x because the battery was dead. After a couple of kicks it kicked back, so I gave it a couple more kicks and it started. After that point it has made a noise that sounds like a spring on a starter dragging. The noise will go away after a while, or if I hold in on the kick starter it goes away immediately. The bike runs and shifts just like it always has and doesn't seem to be affected by the new sound. Any ideas what is causing the noise?

i would check it like the other guys are saying on here. i had a 2003 wr450 that i broke the kick start stopper 2 times it cost 70 dollars for the part for my wr. i now have a 06 450x but it will trash your case if it falls down in it

thats my $0.02

• 1 month later...

my o6 450r left me in the middle of the forest yesterday with this problem. I just finished taking the crankcase cover off to find the stopper plate and bolt ripped right out of the case leaving a large hole. Totally baffles me why this happened, I've searched these threads but still haven't heard anyone who has really figured out why this happens. I am leaning towards the kickback theory, but why did it kick back with such force, what's behind that?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What a way to ruin a long weekend for sure!

A weak or somewhat slow kick with your foot on the kickstart lever at the bottom end of the travel would be an almost perfect scenario for a kickback to happen, also if the bike is a hard starter, maybe the valves are zeroed out, or the timing is off or jetting is wrong etc.

When a 450 kicks back it is like a hammer inside and the alum case wont take much of that before it breaks.

my o6 450r left me in the middle of the forest yesterday with this problem. I just finished taking the crankcase cover off to find the stopper plate and bolt ripped right out of the case leaving a large hole. Totally baffles me why this happened, I've searched these threads but still haven't heard anyone who has really figured out why this happens. I am leaning towards the kickback theory, but why did it kick back with such force, what's behind that?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What a way to ruin a long weekend for sure!

I feel your pain bro :crazy: I guess I got lucky, mine only snapped the stopper plate and bent the dowel pin.

A couple rides ago I installed a Wirtz adjustable fuel screw, which effects jetting at zero to quarter throttle. That's one thing I'll look into as a possible cause for lean jetting for sure, thanks for the reply.

My stop broke as the kick starter kicked back after a couple of good hard two stroke style kicks. Fortunately my stop broke in half at the bolt hole with the bolt staying in place. I did have some slight "buttering" of the aluminum case, but it was all superficial. Now I keep the battery fully charged and have not touched the kick starter since the repairs.

Good luck with your repairs.

• 9 months later...

I was out riding my 06 crf 450r yesterday when the bike locked up on me. Kick starter was locked up and I thought I seized the engine. Rolled the bike backwards and the engine broke free then started and rode the rest of the day. I took the clutch side cover off to find half of the kickstarter stopper plate laying under the clutch. When it broke off, it fell between the transmission gear and the clutch main gear and it jammed so hard that it cracked the case and somehow sheered off the oil pocket on the case. Awesome! 700 bucks on a 2 dollar part!! ***? Oh and the bold didn't fall out because part of the bolt is still in the hole where it belongs. Bad design.

• 9 months later...

The little plate on mine broke on our last outing. Fortunately it happened right at the end of the ride. Found it sitting at the bottom of the case & absolutely no marks anywhere.. needless to say I was happy about that, also happy that the parts will only cost me a few dollars (incl. new gaskets).. whewww!

KickstartPlate.jpg

What are the consistent signs of the plate being broken without pulling the right case half off?

My bike had a weak battery in it when I bought it, there were a couple occasions where when it struggled to start with the button, and it didn't sound like the starter disengaged for a couple seconds. It's never made the grinding sound like the kickstarter is trying to be engaged though.

What are the consistent signs of the plate being broken without pulling the right case half off? My bike had a weak battery in it when I bought it, there were a couple occasions where when it struggled to start with the button, and it didn't sound like the starter disengaged for a couple seconds. It's never made the grinding sound like the kickstarter is trying to be engaged though.

There will be a loud snapping or popping type of noise heard while the engine is runnning, that's assuming the broken piece isnt stuck or wedged in the kickstarter gear train and not allowing the engine to turn.

if the kickstarter ratchet plate is broken off it will make the noise every time the bike is running and it doesnt matter whether you use the estart or the kickstarter to start the engine.

The kickstarter ratchet plate is what separates the two gears( kickstart ratchet gear and kickstart pinion gear) after you kick the bike over to start it-when the ks lever returns to its up or rest position. If the ks ratchet plate is broken there is nothing to cause these two gears to separate, also the spring is applying pressure causing these two gears to stay in (side to side) contact.