Base valve nut loose?

This might be a weird question, but I am no suspension expert:

Does the nut on the bottom of the base valve have to be always tigntened? I had my fork leg (08 YZ250) taken apart at a local service because oil was leaking through one seal and they discovered the nut is just there on its own not even put on the screw! A month ago my suspension has returned from a rebuild and revalve from a tuner. He installed new collars, springs, changed washers at the base valve,oil, etc. Could this be a tuning trick or is it just that he plain forgot to tighten it? I didn't notice any strange behavior when riding. We were surprised indeed.

Thank you for answers.

Umm I don't understand your question. IF the base valve nut is off then it's floating around in the cartridge getting wacked by the MV.

If it was loose then chances are they didn't use locite or did what I did, remove enough shims that the nut rest on a partially threaded area of the BV stem and will loosen up slightly over usage. I found this twice on my KLX forks. My friend Russ17 pointed this out to me in a side conversation and since I have added some spacing to the bottom of the shim stack to make up the space.

hello, thanks, yes the nut was off completly

it has to be tightened

no nut = no compression

Aside from what 450exc and frez has posted...Hopefully in your case, is the nut came off while removing the base valve.

What happens in most cases is the pistons sealing o-ring will catch the walls of the cart ( after all its there for sealing) and actually unscrew the nut. THis is more apparent on the OC style base valves, that one might use a impact gun to loosen the base bolt.

I have seen this happen even with the midvalves nuts, were the cart will spin

and loosen the midvalve nut.

When ever you disasemble for any reason, alway check mid and base nuts....