Complete newb, w/ a klx300r

Hello all, I just bought my first bike a 00 klx300. I’m pretty excited so far, especially after not buying a crf230. I rode one right after I bought my bike and it felt like it had no power. I really haven’t had much time to ride just through the neighbor hood and around the yard.

Is there anything specific I need to know about the bike. I bought the bike from a 62yr old man who had purchased it new. He said he put a larger breather tube on it, a better starter gear. He also said he had something done to the shifter, something about it going into neutral a lot before he fixed it.

I really want to get a black and green seat cover, and some graphics(it doesn’t have any).

Any advice with this bike will be much appreciated.

Thanks

search around on here, sounds like he did a couple of the good preventative mods, post a pic if you can, and

WELCOME !!!

http://planetklx.org/

Read and enjoy. :p

Do everything in the free mods for sure, more than likely its been done for you though. :lol:

heres some pics of my bike with my sons 07 ttr50, both bikes need a good cleaning.

dirtbikes001.jpg

dirtbikes002.jpgdirtbikes003.jpg

You need to throw on a bunch of stickers to make it really yours!

I owned a 2003 crf230 and now I have 2006 klx300. The klx300 is a better bike, in terms of suspension and power. Probably about 6-7 hp and 2 inches of travel, you loose the e-start but not a big deal.

I owned a 2003 crf230 and now I have 2006 klx300. The klx300 is a better bike, in terms of suspension and power. Probably about 6-7 hp and 2 inches of travel, you loose the e-start but not a big deal.

It feels alot faster to me than a crf230. I rode my wifes uncles with a jet kit, intake and exhaust and still didnt seem to come close. The sticker on the back of his crf230 said 19hp, I dont how much the klx300 has though.

Welcome! Just type in klx 300 in the search option on thumpertalk and you'll read plenty about what you need to do. As brewster told me when i got mine, 'check the valves!'. I got mine from a 70 year old man and if the 62year old man you got yours from as well never had the valves checked and adjusted, you'll need to either do that or have it done. I just did mine and they all were out of spec(tight).

A sticker that says 19 HP doesn't mean much. I can tell you that a stock crf230 makes about 16 HP, and if you do the power up kit, its worth another 1.0 to 1.5 HP. The KLX is about 22 HP stock and with the dj kit and free modes your looking at a 1.5 - 2.0 HP gain so your close to 24 HP with a basically stock KLX300 and it weights a few lbs less than the cfr230.:doh:

It feels alot faster to me than a crf230. I rode my wifes uncles with a jet kit, intake and exhaust and still didnt seem to come close. The sticker on the back of his crf230 said 19hp, I dont how much the klx300 has though.

I have an 03 230 and a 02 300. The 230 ain't got nuts on the 300. The 300s easily twice as fast lol

A sticker that says 19 HP doesn't mean much. I can tell you that a stock crf230 makes about 16 HP, and if you do the power up kit, its worth another 1.0 to 1.5 HP. The KLX is about 22 HP stock and with the dj kit and free modes your looking at a 1.5 - 2.0 HP gain so your close to 24 HP with a basically stock KLX300 and it weights a few lbs less than the cfr230.:doh:

And with full exhaust intake and carb you will be pushing a good gain over the stock power :snore:

Yeah I came close to buying a crf230, I'm very happy I didn't. Hopefully I'll have time to do some mods to the klx soon. I just have to many projects going at once.