Why are quads so hard to start?

At every event that has quads, I always see one/several/many quads started by getting a tow from another quad or in some cases a truck. Don't these have the same engines as MX bikes? Don't most also have electric start? Or are they kick start, then they remove the kick starter to save weight?

At every event that has quads, I always see one/several/many quads started by getting a tow from another quad or in some cases a truck. Don't these have the same engines as MX bikes? Don't most also have electric start? Or are they kick start, then they remove the kick starter to save weight?

Most likely because they are improperly jetted. With the kits and data available today, proper jetting is so simple, yet so often ignored.

I agree they are usually jetted wrong because the owners are to stupid to figure out how to change some jets, and they are almost always jetted wrong when they come off the showroom floor. I always notice some of the quads banging and popping when they are decelerating. They must want them to sound like Harleys. My YFZ fires right up and never pops, but I like my stuff in top condition.

Push start isn't all that uncommon in some types of dirt-track racing, not all of them have starters. Never watched a quad race live and really don't care to. I just don't have any interest.

A 10 lb lighter machine will be 10lbs faster, right?

Push start isn't all that uncommon in some types of dirt-track racing, not all of them have starters. Never watched a quad race live and really don't care to. I just don't have any interest.

A 10 lb lighter machine will be 10lbs faster, right?

I forgot about the tow-start quads until Hurricane Hills last weekend, where they run them same day as bikes. 10 minutes after I pull in, a truck goes down the hill dragging a race quad right behind it...

The choke is on the same side as the beer holding hand making it difficult.

?

My buddy...yes, even though he rides a quad he's still my buddy actually put a CAN holder on his bars. Mind you this is for traveling up the road about 200 yards to my other buddies place and clutch work is difficult when holding the brew! Crotching it works as long as you don't "squeeze"? to hard!

because most of the kick start ones kick the wrong dang way, the pull start ones are like lawnmowers and never want to start when you want them too and the push button ones well they are not worth riding anyway.