Jd Jetting vs 09 needle

Hey guys, So I just got a 07 YZ250F that is in desperate need of some jetting work. I have read throughout the forum that the 09 needle is a great cheap improvement over the stock needle but I am wondering how it does against a JD needle? I have a JD jetting kit in my YZ 250 2 stroke and it works awesome but I'm just making sure it really is worth the 80 dollars or so. Thanks!

How are we supposed to know when you haven't even told us your jetting problem?

My answer won't be much more helpful than the last guy's, but I know that the JD needles are triple tapered (the new Yamaha may be as well, I don't konw). I can honestly say that the JD kit was the best money spent on my bike next to the Hotcams. Now, I am not sure what changes have been made to the Yamaha needle, but a lot of people think it's the cat's meow. Yamaha needle ($13) vs. JD kit ($75). This assumes that the rest of your jetting is spot on which doesn't sound like the case. You pay for James Dean's knowledge, which made my life easier. Good luck.

My jetting problem has yet to be sorted out but lets just say its less than perfect. No bike will be jetted properly 100% of the time unless you work at it. You can't just set and forget it. I was merely looking for an help as to whether the JD kit was worth it, Or whether I should just stick with OEM stuff. Does anyone know what yamaha did with the 09 needle? I have used JD jetting kits before and been happy with them but at the same time they're just jets and If I can get them cheaper OEM than it might be worth it. I have a weird hanging idle issue right now as it stands but I think that's more related to my fuel screw than anything else.

WilliamsMotoWerx (Jesse) says the 09 needle is the way to go! Pm him and see what he says. And share the info with us!!!!!!:p

Chris

Hey,the 09 is a triple taper,got the info from a prior post.The part number in the states 5TA-14916-KR-00(NHKR) it made the throttle really crisp on my 06.

I was never happy with the 07 OEM needle. Any needle seems to be an improvement over it.

What years will the '09 needle fit in the WR? Didnt they change the carb in '06 on the WR

Mates bike had a hanging idle a few years back adjusted his valves and it went! Check them it doesn't take long.

MM

I know this is an old post but I'm curious what clip position you guys are running on the 09 needle vs. the stock 07 needle. Standard position?

Same question ... Working on an all stock 07 yz250f ....low hour all stock.

45 pilot

As 1 1-2 turns out

178 main

Boyesen ap3 3/4 out

Stock Needle at many positions

Very crisp and fast

Mid guggle at 1-2 throttle

Looking for needle positions --- options

TX Sandman,  Toss the stock 07 needle in the trashcan and don't look back.  The 09 needle is a huge improvement- the best $10-$15 you can spend on that otherwise excellent bike.  Start with the stock clip position.  Also consider a higher compression piston.

Note for WR owners and for YZ250Fs 03 to 06:  The 09 YZ250F needle is an excellent improvement for your bikes too, BUT, note that to make it work correctly, you also need to install the needle jet from a YZ250F of 07-11,  part number 5XC-14947-00-00.  The older jet needles have a slightly larger inside diameter.

BazookaJoe!!! Thank you for the advice -- I will let you know how it does.

BAZOOKAJOE --- THX AGAIN.... ok I am now all stock with the exception on the Boyesen QUICKSHOT 3 AND THE 2009 YZ250F NEEDLE ... I TRIED IT ON THE MIDDLE AND STILL HAD A MID - THROTTLE GURGLE ... WENT ONE STEP DOWN FROM THE MIDDLE AND WOW ... WOW. 

Now the bike runs clean all the way through ... FYI the Quickshot 3 is set at about 3/4 out from full in.

TX Sandman,  

Thanks for the feedback and, it is excellent to hear you have improved your bike.