Fuel Spitting Out

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to TT, but am familiar with sites like this (Bad Weather Bikers helps me with my Buell XB12X Uly). Thanks in advance for any help you may have!

I bought a 1996 XR600R yesterday. The previous owner claims to have it 'dialed in'. It looks it...

I fired it up for a buddy last night. I didn't let it warm-up all that much and ripped up the street. When I drove into my driveway fuel was spilling out of the bike from somewhere.

I'm guessing that because I stomped on it with the choke still on the bike was shooting out excess fuel from some overflow port? Do you think I'm right? Do you think I need to be concerned? Does anything need to be checked/fixed? Any other advice I didn't think to ask for? Thanks very much!

I would take the carb off and check/clean it out just to be safe

typically fuel comming out of a drain line is associated w/ the float/bowl level...

...try cleaning the float needle & seat and adjust the float level...

...it cud be a simple as sum junk preventing the needle from seating or it may have a worn needle that needs replacing.

with ether case u shud make sure ur fuel, fuel tank, fuel valve, fuel lines and carb is clean...also check that none of the gaskets r breaking down and adding junk to ur fuel system. :p

:lol:

typically fuel comming out of a drain line is associated w/ the float/bowl level...

...try cleaning the float needle & seat and adjust the float level...

...it cud be a simple as sum junk preventing the needle from seating or it may have a worn needle that needs replacing.

with ether case u shud make sure ur fuel, fuel tank, fuel valve, fuel lines and carb is clean...also check that none of the gaskets r breaking down and adding junk to ur fuel system. :p

:lol:

What Dork KENSlow said ^^^^^^^ is spot on brother!!! :cry:

BUT better yet WELCOME TO the BRP crew and TT brother!!! You came to the right spot for help and advice and finding mates!! LOL:banana:

Sometimes the inside of your tank (if it's metal of course) will rust and the little flakes will jam open your float needle. You can get a little in-line fuel filter for like 5 bux that will catch stuff like that before it gets into your carb.

You might be able to blow it through by opening the throttle and the choke and kicking like hell but most likely the carb has to come off.

Welcome to the board dude

+1 to Kenslo and the Pickle :p

If a little fuel is coming from the overflow hoses, you probably have a dirty float valve and seat.

Onemanclan,

the exact same thing just happened to me. A friend of mine who passed away a few years ago had a 97 xr600r. I had it shipped to me from CA and took it straight to the mechanic to have it checked out. The cleaned carb, tuned it and it ran great. The next day the fuel line was clogged with junk from the engine. Took it back, the cleaned it again and it has been fine.