have you ever broken a helmet?

Because i just did. the worst part is that it is only 4 months old... and it wasnt even in a crash, it was just sheer bad luck.

i had my bike leaning against my garage, and this is something i do all the time, its extremely stable, and i put my helmet on the handlebar--the bar end inside the helmet, we've all down it-- i turn around and start walking towards my backyard where my friends were, next thing i hear... KURPLUNK. i look back and just say a silent curse word. i grabbed the helmet to check for damage, sure enough my finger found a hole in the fabric and a chunk taken out of the helmet. It didnt puncture the shell (which is good to know for safty reasons!) but it definitely lost every bit of safety it had cause im pretty sure there is a crack just lingering in the padding, and one good knock the helmet will just fall apart, killing me in the process. now i have to search for a new one, on top of other stuff... chain to go with my new sprockets, wheel bearings, tires, i gotta re-jet my bike, i need new bark busters, hell, i need a new damn bike. this sport we choose to participate is too expensive, we seriously must love it.

what about you guys? any stupid stories-- or painful stories-- about how you broke your helmet?

I've done the same thing as you.

I also landed on a kid that rolled a jump diagonally in a race and crashed. Then I was landed on... Broke my brand new helmet (maybe 2mos riding time on it) That wasn't a good day.

I Yard darted myself on a step-up landed head first and cracked my helmet on the inside. It sucked pretty bad

man this reminds me of a few times i hit my head pretty good lol

I have trashed probably 20 helmets over the years, from crashes to dropping to the wind blowing it off the trailer. Only broken one bone, a finger, hit real hard with a sledge hammer, my Darwin moment.

I rode 4 times with my nicest helmet ive ever bought, retail was $350.

I was at a race, crashed first lap, then some guy jumped on me, landed on my helmet with his footpeg, and took a chunk out of it.

I was mad, but also very lucky.

I hear you kx250fmotoracer...same exact thing happened to me last race. It's enough to really P you off. And what was even worse the guy acted like he didn't do anything wrong when he crossed the entire track trying to cut me off from passing him. But btw i'm on a kx250f too. Its a sweet ride

I'm the opposite - have had my helmet ($80 new) for 6 years now. Have never landed on it, not even a scratch to it. Then again, my elbows, hips and feet take all the shine/pain...nothing broken yet, just bruised ego's, road rash and sore muscles

I'm the opposite - have had my helmet ($80 new) for 6 years now. Have never landed on it, not even a scratch to it. Then again, my elbows, hips and feet take all the shine/pain...nothing broken yet, just bruised ego's, road rash and sore muscles

6 year old helmet..... time to retire that puppy.

broken them riding road bikes, never on the dirt though. my current helmet is 4 years old, with maybe 100 days on it. may retire it soon just because, kind of goes against my normal use it till it breaks style, but brain-buckets get special consideration so we'll see.

I hear you kx250fmotoracer...same exact thing happened to me last race. It's enough to really P you off. And what was even worse the guy acted like he didn't do anything wrong when he crossed the entire track trying to cut me off from passing him. But btw i'm on a kx250f too. Its a sweet ride

Exactly man, The guy was in 5th place and rolled a jump in front of me. i was maybe 3 bike lengths back and he crosses my like cuz he did the "squid wobble" when he lost his balance. I was layin on the ground and i look up and i see the bottom of a bike. thats all i remember til i was walking off the track.

I wrecked my protapers, ripped a fork guard off, and trashed a $400 TLD helmet cuz of his retard move!

I just made the switch from a 125 last year and i gotta say i love the KX250F. I miss the powerband of the 125, but still an awesome bike,

PS-and my names John too, no BS! haha

I have been on my head quite a few times with my one Industries helmets. They hold up pretty well. My first ride with my Kombat helmet some guy on the first jump decides to over clear it while riding up my back. When his tire got to my helmet my head smashed into my bars and cracked off two tiny pieces on my visor. It could have been way worse, but I haven't trashed a helmet bad enough to the point I cant wear it yet.

So far, so good, stopped me, a 400lb bike on the back of an SUV and the helmet looked fine.

It got replaced.

The SUV had a basketball sized dent in it. The panel got replaced, it was TWO WEEKS OLD! And to add insult to injury, it was one of my company's clients.

After that, I never took Tavist-D again (slows your reaction time and that's what got me, well, that and a two week old Chevy Tahoe.)

6 year old helmet..... time to retire that puppy.
Agree. Hang it up on the wall as a reminder to ride safe, or maybe cut it in half, you'll see how much you've worn it out.

i have trashed 2 helmets in crashes. my first was an older HJC hit my head so hard that the visor exploded and the foam inside shattered literally. it was gnarly.

the second was an hjc ac x12 carbon. kid crossed lines in the air and took out my front tire on a 65ft+ table ended up breaking C4 5 &6 in that accident. the helmet foam was compressed about 1/4 in on the right side of the helmet and the exterior, which is CF BTW, was trashed. but i survived!!

my current helmet just took its first hard hit, i got a concussion but i think the helmet is fine, the foam doesnt look too bad.... still might get another one tho, cheap insurance!!!!!

stop hitting your head!!!!!! (directed at me mostly...lol)

i broke a bell moto-5 years ago.

after a few good head bangs with a helmet i like to retire it and grab a new one.

i will still use the old ones for light riding on trails or the 50's

I can say i have never broken a helmet, just a few minor scratches in them when i get tired and have to have a little nap and dont bother stopping before i get off my bike :p Geeze 6 year old helmet, mine gets replaced ever 3 years

I flipped one of my four wheelers on a hill they called "Death Hill" -should have rethought that one. It landed on me and barrel rolled down the hill.I had on a helmet that I had taken out of the box the day before and it broke the chin guard completely off. I walked away with a broken right wrist,two broke ribs and considered myself lucky. Haven't rode without a helmet since.:p

why would u ever ride without a helmet?

I had a Bell Moto 7. 3rd ride on it I did a high speed flight over the bars. My buddies stepped it off and estimated 68 feet from launch point to impact point. I hit my head hard in a rock field. Exploded the badder in my Cammelback. The helmet had a nice dent with multiple cracks radiating out. Dang I'm glad I was wearing it! My wife hangs on to it as a reminder (like that helps). She never complains when I spend money on protective gear.

CoKTM

i was tightening my chain and i cross threaded the self locking nut and axle, which sucked because replacement barely came today but i havent ridden in a month because i failed to check if i put the nut on right and torqued the heck out of it...

=(

lol

other than that nothing to serious yet