Recommended Trailer wheel Size?

I'm thinking of trailering a KLR 650 over the interstate :lol: . Some of the simple smaller trailers have really small wheels:eek: vs others with like 12" wheels. Are those little wheels safe for trailering on the interstate?:p

I'm thinking of trailering a KLR 650 over the interstate :lol: . Some of the simple smaller trailers have really small wheels:eek: vs others with like 12" wheels. Are those little wheels safe for trailering on the interstate?:p

I reffer to the small wheels as "axle burners" for a good reason. Look for a 14" or taller would be my choice.

That depends on what you call safe. I consider them safe but problematic. I have 8” wheels on a small tent trailer and have had two tire failures in the last two years. This is contributed (IMO) to their light load rating (745 each) and hauling a near max load. My pop-up is 940lbs dry. This and a lack of quality tires available in the small sizes and the rough roads I travel on are what I contribute to the high failure rate.

The first was a bubble that formed in the tread and then wore a home through the tire and the other looked like the start of a tread separation but the tire started to loose air before the tread pealed. This time we where on a smooth windy highway and I could feel the sidewall rolling as we cornered and pulled over before the tire was completely flat.

Overall if you can get up to 14” wheels it’s a plus but if the deal is right and you aren’t afraid of changing a tire now and then small tires are a deal breaker. At least not to me.

the bigger the better and bring a spare

My old trailer had the little 4.80 - 8 and they ate bearings went through 3 sets in about 3 years, last spring i built a new trailer with 4.80 - 12 and they have been fine even after probably close to 10,000km's of service.