Bill of sale only? Here in Wash... Tips

Hi guys... seems to happen quite a bit here in Washington (i dont know how)

But seems a lot of bikes are sold without the title in hand. Bill of sale signed by the seller is offered......

Have you purchased a bike with a bill of sale onlY? What were the steps to get a title and/or at LEAST get tabs for the bike? Please chime in if you KNOW... not if you've heard from your sons uncles baby cousin. Thanks guys.

But seems a lot of bikes are sold without the title in hand. Bill of sale signed by the seller is offered......

Have you purchased a bike with a bill of sale onlY? What were the steps to get a title and/or at LEAST get tabs for the bike? Please chime in if you KNOW... not if you've heard from your sons uncles baby cousin. Thanks guys.

I know for sure I would NEVER purchase a bike without title. What assurance do you have it's not stolen or even the seller's to sell? The seller should go through the steps to recover title prior to attempting to sell. If you purchase a bike without title and just have a BOS, I'm not sure, but I think you won't get title for 2 years and tabs will be difficult or impossible to get until then.

Take the bike to the WSP for inspection. They will confirm if the bike is legit, not stolen or leins against it. Once approved, you will receive a title in 3yrs. In the mean time the WSP will provide you with documents that will allow you to get tabs and registration.

I used to think it was a weird deal. but seems more and more people dont have titles. just strange.

Take the bike to the WSP for inspection. They will confirm if the bike is legit, not stolen or leins against it. Once approved, you will receive a title in 3yrs. In the mean time the WSP will provide you with documents that will allow you to get tabs and registration.

That's good to know, but I thought the WSP wasn't doing inspections anymore, not sure though. I for one will stick to titled bikes, maybe more people will hang on to them.

I was under the impression that a snowmobile/dirt bike doesn't have a title in WA. My bike is titled in ID, but all 3 of my snowmobiles were purchased/registered in WA and I have never received a title for any of them.

I was under the impression that a snowmobile/dirt bike doesn't have a title in WA. My bike is titled in ID, but all 3 of my snowmobiles were purchased/registered in WA and I have never received a title for any of them.

You are wrong, for sure on the bike and pretty sure on the snowmobile.

We have titles for off road bikes here. You can get tabs, a few hops to jump through and you can get a title, but only after waiting 3 years after you apply. Personally, if it doesn thave a title, I'd walk.

A bike without a title can be stolen, but all too often that is not the reason. Many just don't want to pay sales tax and or orv fees. They ride private land or tracks, were orv tabs are not needed. They sell these bikes to their friends who may be of the same mind and these friends just don't bother to transfer titles and pay the fees/taxes associated with the transfer. After a sale or two, who knows who the original title owner was, so it becomes a real hassle to re-title the bike.

But then again, sometimes they are stolen, so the only real way to know is to take the vin to the WSP or some web site that might give you a clue if it has been reported as stolen.

Good info here.

Ben especially thanks for the info. Is there a phone number you can call, for WSP? or do i literally have to bring the bike to them.

It usually starts with a racer who receives say 8 bikes a year and only recieves

a MSO or POR. when he needs money he sells off a couple bikes,no title.

Or when the dollar was worth something we would buy bikes in Canada and save 35% but no Title.

Or some dirt bag stole your cousins bike in CA. brought it to WA. (FederalWay?)

and tries to sell it with no title.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7860131#post7860131

:lol:

Step one is to get a reference from DOL to see the state patrol.

Step two is for WSP to inspect it in person to certify that the VIN number on the bike appears legitimate and doesn't appear in their stolen vehicle database (prepare for them to treat you as a criminal until they find out it's not hot).

Step three is to get a form completed by WSP at the conclusion of your inspection.

Step four is to take the previous bill(s) of sale along with your new WSP form to DOL for registration and ORV tabs.

Step five is to wait THREE years for DOL to send you a title; you've thereby completed the registration in doubt process. :p:cry:

shrubitup... this seems like a lot of work for a cheap ttr 125 :p

Thats prolly why it's cheap. You can get some great deals on bikes without titles. Just grab the VIN and go to the Natl database of stolen vehicles website. That's a first step or better yet drag it down to a WSP inspector with the approval of the current owner prior to the actual sale. I would factor all this work you have to do into your offering price to the owner. Any motorcycle particularly a used one in this market just sits and sits and the owner ought to be eager to unload it to you unless it's hot.

I've never understood why an owner wouldn't just do the same and sell with a title. It's prolly cause they don't want to pay the use (sales) tax on the bike. :lol:

If the seller has the MSO or original sales receipt, he can go to the DOL with you and sign it over to you. I believe you will have to pay the sales tax but you would have to do that anyway.

I just did this last year with a bike I bought in Canada and never licensed or titled in WA. I took in the MSO and original sales receipt and the new owner got his title within months.

Do you just need an ORV tag?

I recently bought a YZ250 without a title, picked it up in Van, WA. Drove into Portland that same da and bought an ORV tag there. Its good in both OR and WA, for two years, and costs $10. Its a no brainer if you don't have a title but still want to ride legally.

I recently bought a YZ250 without a title, picked it up in Van, WA. Drove into Portland that same da and bought an ORV tag there. Its good in both OR and WA, for two years, and costs $10. Its a no brainer if you don't have a title but still want to ride legally.

Unless the LEO charges that you aren't an Oregon resident as shown on your drivers license etc. The safest is the registration in doubt process. I would use this process on a bike that has passed the WSP process (free) and that is priced accordingly for your troubles.

holy crap! NICE!

Did you have to have the bike with you? or just bill of sale?

Im down in portland all the time. so this isnt an issue. Though shrubitup, if you know of a website that i can punch in the vin... that would be helpful :p

Unless the LEO charges that you aren't an Oregon resident as shown on your drivers license etc. The safest is the registration in doubt process. I would use this process on a bike that has passed the WSP process (free) and that is priced accordingly for your troubles.

Yes, I agree, going the title/registration route is the correct and best way to go.

But in my case, knowing it would take some time to sort it out, and wanting to ride as legally as I could, as soon as I could, I picked up the ORV tab in OR.

So, I should have added, do so at your own risk.