Best 2-stroke mod under $100

After reading the "best mod for under $100" thread concerning 4-stroke bikes, I wanted to see if anyone had any good mods in the $100 range for a 2-stroke moto. I'm riding a 99' CR250; I've got an older Pro Circuit exhaust system but besides that I'm running completely stock.

^ beat me to it

Repack the exhaust = $10 or less. Then buy a few No Toil air filters = $ 12 each. Maybe buy a few new plugs =$4-$5 each.

Save the rest of the cash.

Of course these aren't "mods" per say, but I know if your badding is old in your exhaust, repacking it will give you back lost power.

top end

if top end is new then get reeds.

I'm definitely semi-new to motocross, I've been riding for about a year. I've seen Boyesen reeds for sale before, but what exactly do they do and how easy/difficult are they to install?

Same thing with the repacking of my exhaust. Is this something I can do myself?

Im another one for a new Top end.

Chance's are the Top end in the 97 isnt very fresh. A fresh top end will be the best "Feel the power" improvement.

New oil for the forks?

New Tires?

Fresh top end as said already?

OR,

Just buy more gas and entrance fees to your track, or join a club and ride the hell out of what you have. If it is already good to go.

OR,

Cosmetics Plastics,graphics, leavers, guards.

Nothing like riding a nice looking bike.

A fresh top end is something that I have not done and sounds like I should.

I ride every weekend regardless of whether of gas prices and its usually trails...I definitely enjoy technical/hillclimb type terrain more than MX/SX.

A fresh top end is something that I have not done and sounds like I should.

I ride every weekend regardless of whether of gas prices and its usually trails...I definitely enjoy technical/hillclimb type terrain more than MX/SX.

If you're hillclimbing and riding technical trails... think about a Flywheel weight also, will add oodles of low-end torque and better traction, helps prevent stalling, all that good stuff.

Just looked into it Moto216 and that looks like an awesome idea. For my make/model/year they sell a 9, 11, and 13 ounce weight...what do you recommend?

Just looked into it Moto216 and that looks like an awesome idea. For my make/model/year they sell a 9, 11, and 13 ounce weight...what do you recommend?

Well I guess that depends, I don't have much experience with FWW yet. I'm gonna put a 9 on my bike most likely, I race MX so I still need all the power but want a little better traction once the powerband kicks in. I'm sure others here could point you towards the right weight, there's quite a few discussions on the topic.

I'm definitely semi-new to motocross, I've been riding for about a year. I've seen Boyesen reeds for sale before, but what exactly do they do and how easy/difficult are they to install?
Depends on the bike. The one I've done required dropping the engine all but one bolt. This was after removing the plastics and carb of course. It was a pain, but it was worth it.

Some bikes will be easier, some harder. Some impossible (like the rotary valve or piston port design).

Post your make and model and someone will give you a better answer.

But yes, I'd say better reeds is probably the best real mod under a c-note.

The other stuff is maintenance.

You can play with port timing slightly, this will cost you around $20, put a second base gasket on, use a thinner head gasket (if it's liquid cooled, be careful here - ask for advice if you don't know what you're doing), this will open the ports sooner.

You can bump up the compression SLIGHTLY <-- did you see that SLIGHTLY by using a thinner base gasket and leaving everything else alone. But you'll probably want to talk to someone who can make these gaskets before you even start, this way they can take measurements to make sure your piston isn't slapping the head. This will open your ports later so it's got it's drawbacks too.

Unlike taking a grinder to your jug, these are reversible. But shouldn't be done caution to the wind, because you can damage expensive parts if you try to make huge changes.

Same thing with the repacking of my exhaust. Is this something I can do myself?
Absolutely. It's relatively easy, but a dirty job.

SuperHunky is your friend. http://superhunky.com/articles/Mufflertech.php

Appreciate the help Smacaroni.

I'm running a 2-stroke 1999 Honda CR250.

I agree with a fresh top end, but not for "Under $100". Not sure where you're going to get a top end kit & gasket kit for under a bill. If there is a place to buy the kit for under $100 please let me know, I could always buy a few extra for the future....

A few gallons of oxygenated fuel will give you a boost- well, then again its gains with the caveat of "pay as you play"....

jet kit...reeds...or a new pipe..make it rip :p

I agree with a fresh top end, but not for "Under $100". Not sure where you're going to get a top end kit & gasket kit for under a bill. If there is a place to buy the kit for under $100 please let me know, I could always buy a few extra for the future....

midwestactioncycle.com

top ends are easy. they are quick insurance, make starting easier, and can give off alot more power.