2009 Yz450f

Dealer just offered me a smokin deal to take a limited (white plastic) 450. he just got notified that Yamaha will be unloading remaining 2009's to make way for the EFI 2010. $5500 everything in but sales tax.

That being said, what are peoples opinion on the 2009 450. I am on my 4th CRF 450 and have zero experience with Yamaha.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have a YZF 450 and previously owned CRF's. I love my 08 450. The only thing you may not like is the power. The YZF's have a more mellow power. I really liked the power and felt I could ride harder longer. I crushed my head pipe and I had to get a new one. So I went with the FMF set-up. It is now very Honda like, as far as having a ton of power. Took a bit to get used to it again. Buddy of mine, who also bought an 08 YZF almost traded his in for an 09 Honda 450. I told him to ride mine with the new pipe. He ended up buying a pipe and now absolutely loves it. Also it is very easy to go from one bike to the other. They feel very similar.

If your on a crf I would think that you wouldn't like a yzf. But thats my personal impression.

Only bikes I have ever felt good on are KXFs and CRFs, KXFs fit me the best.

Ive ridden a 09 YZ450f back to back with my 06 KX450f mine with a procircuit full system, and the YZ with a fmf megabomb full system.

The yam felt like it had typical yam suspinsion, plush and rode nice but I dident like the handleing (never have liked the handling of any yam but thats me and not the bike), motor was the biggest thing... it felt weak compared to my KXF, the yam had a harder hitting bottom end but the mid and top just dident impress me at all but by no means is it slow. The tranny was by far the worst shifting tranny I have EVER felt in my entire life, I think somthing is wrong with it you had to really put some muscle in the shifter to move it and good luck finding neutral. The owner of the bike said its because the bike is still new (its got like 25 hours on it and ive never felt any new bike have shifting problems other than being just slightly stiffer than once broken in.) Another thing I noticed is the poor throttle response and it wasent very smooth (was jetted for the FMF pipe).

Overall I was not impressed one bit with the bike, its not a bad bike by any means but my 2006 model KXF is a better bike. I am not someone who hate on yams (my preference is Kawis and hondas) but I have owned yamis and the past and have nothing against them.

I think that the newer CRFs and KXFs are better imo and if your crf is in good shape and isnt really old I would say keep it because it can do everything as well as the 09 yam can.

most reliable and best quality bike you will ever buy. I had many hondas and they do not compare to yamaha for quality. I can't remember the last time I had to replace a bearing or adjust a valve on a YZF.

That is a good price... Go get it. You will never go wrong. There is $1000 customer cahs on YZ450s right now. That won't last. That compounded with a new higher priced non discounted 2010 (hopeful FI) YZF. I wouldn't wait a year to find out..... GO riding!

If your on a crf I would think that you wouldn't like a yzf. But thats my personal impression.

Only bikes I have ever felt good on are KXFs and CRFs, KXFs fit me the best.

Ive ridden a 09 YZ450f back to back with my 06 KX450f mine with a procircuit full system, and the YZ with a fmf megabomb full system.

The yam felt like it had typical yam suspinsion, plush and rode nice but I dident like the handleing (never have liked the handling of any yam but thats me and not the bike), motor was the biggest thing... it felt weak compared to my KXF, the yam had a harder hitting bottom end but the mid and top just dident impress me at all but by no means is it slow. The tranny was by far the worst shifting tranny I have EVER felt in my entire life, I think somthing is wrong with it you had to really put some muscle in the shifter to move it and good luck finding neutral. The owner of the bike said its because the bike is still new (its got like 25 hours on it and ive never felt any new bike have shifting problems other than being just slightly stiffer than once broken in.) Another thing I noticed is the poor throttle response and it wasent very smooth (was jetted for the FMF pipe).

Overall I was not impressed one bit with the bike, its not a bad bike by any means but my 2006 model KXF is a better bike. I am not someone who hate on yams (my preference is Kawis and hondas) but I have owned yamis and the past and have nothing against them.

I think that the newer CRFs and KXFs are better imo and if your crf is in good shape and isnt really old I would say keep it because it can do everything as well as the 09 yam can.

comon!! i think you do hate the yamaha brand, i dont go to the kx forum and talk shit like i know it allll. the yz trany is perfect and i can get to N no problem.

my yz is a beast.......

comon!! i think you do hate the yamaha brand, i dont go to the kx forum and talk shit like i know it allll. the yz trany is perfect and i can get to N no problem.

my yz is a beast.......

If you read what I wrote more clearly, I said I think something is wrong with that tranny, meaning that one in particular.

I dont hate yamahas, and thats good you dont go to the KX forum and talk shit:thumbsup: I dont claim to know it "all". Its called an opinion?

Im just saying someone coming from a CRF might not like the transition to a YZF, I never said it was a bad bike just that it dident impress me. What doesnt impress me would impress someone else.

Have fun on your beast.?

If you read what I wrote more clearly, I said I think something is wrong with that tranny, meaning that one in particular.

I dont hate yamahas, and thats good you dont go to the KX forum and talk shit:thumbsup: I dont claim to know it "all". Its called an opinion?

Im just saying someone coming from a CRF might not like the transition to a YZF, I never said it was a bad bike just that it dident impress me. What doesnt impress me would impress someone else.

Have fun on your beast.?

i agree with u...but i do believe there is sumthing wrong with the trannies possbily...my experiences are they have a habit of goin into neutral when they arent suppose to...like in my race the other day...coulda swore i was in 3rd and somehow when i downshifted it went into neutral...oh well, i personally like the crfs and kxfs alot... i do know i can say i hate the suk's fer sure...

It is a great deal... but it will be outdated the day Yamaha ships in the first EFI 450. So with that in mind I wanted to know what people thought about the 09. The last YZ450 that I rode was a 2004 and I hated it compared to my 05 CRF. But I hear that 08-09 are very different bikes.

I dont hate yamahas, and thats good you dont go to the KX forum and talk shit:thumbsup: I dont claim to know it "all". Its called an opinion :banghead:

Have fun on your beast.:banghead:

yes i will, hope you enjoy your green 1 2.

they are all good bikes, everybody is direrent and lokes diferent bikes,the yam is a very nutral bike in all ways and is easy to ride. I ride kaw and they are great and so is the contingency. kaw is giving $1000 cash back to and they are great deals out there, irode all the bikes except suz, I think the 08 crf450 might be the best overall bike ever and that would be a concideration if i was getting a new bike.

I rode this past weekend with my buddys and we had almost all the brands riding with us. My one friend has a 2007 kx450f and my other friend has a brand new 2009 yz450f. I would def say the kx has some serious power over the yz :banghead: but it felt a little heavier and the suspension def was as good as the yamaha's. :banghead: I know im comparing 2 different year bikes and one has a lot less of hours on it but you can still tell a difference. My other buddy was on a 2008 crf450r and I think that is a better bike then the kawi. The yamaha is def a great deal at 5500:thumbsup: Its easier to make power then to make a bike handle better. All we needed was a suzuki and we could have had a shootout. and yes I ridden every bike that was with us before in the past. :banghead: No problems shifting any of the bikes, they all seem to be very reliable. couldnt tell you about ktm or rmz

I rode this past weekend with my buddys and we had almost all the brands riding with us. My one friend has a 2007 kx450f and my other friend has a brand new 2009 yz450f. I would def say the kx has some serious power over the yz :banghead: but it felt a little heavier and the suspension def was as good as the yamaha's. :banghead: I know im comparing 2 different year bikes and one has a lot less of hours on it but you can still tell a difference. My other buddy was on a 2008 crf450r and I think that is a better bike then the kawi. The yamaha is def a great deal at 5500:thumbsup: Its easier to make power then to make a bike handle better. All we needed was a suzuki and we could have had a shootout. and yes I ridden every bike that was with us before in the past. :banghead: No problems shifting any of the bikes, they all seem to be very reliable. couldnt tell you about ktm or rmz

the 09 pipe is a power thief, with a new pipe it will have alot more power.

I dont think they will cost any more than usual will they? Like $6,200.

Maybe $7500 -- possibly 8k --- the '09's are 7500 retail (very few have bought one at retail price, but thats it)

Then factor in re-valve and springs if needed , plus an exhaust sysytem, plus graphics/backgrounds etc. - plus any other doo-dads you want, and i figure most new bikes now have close to a 10k investment

The '10 will be roughly the same.