Sign in to follow this  

Melted T-fitting & super bummed!!!

I read the thread about the melted plastic coolant T-fitting and ordered up a metal replacement one. The part came today, unfortunately that didn't help me out last weekend.

I was out on a tough single track out in the Piutes, CA. I didn't notice right away that the plastic T-fitting in the cooling system started to melt away and with it coolant:foul: By the time I stopped I could smell something wasn't right and spotted the melted T-fitting. I was able to push the coolant hose further onto the T-fitting and seal the system up. I had to put a at least a 1/2 gallon of water into it. I pulled the oil fill plug and it the oil smelled burnt. I started the bike back up and thought I dodged a bullet, as the bike felt good, but every time we stopped I had to add water.

Well today I pressure tested the cooling system and it held 15psi for about 1/2hr, I was starting to feel better. So because the oil smelled burnt, I decided to change it. When I pulled the drain plug the oil looked like new, because I just changed it before the trip. I then pulled out the oil screen about the shifter and saw some black stuff. I then pulled out the oil filter and found more black stuff, bronze stuff and super fine metal shavings. I'm so bummed right now:foul:

I've pulled so far:

The valve cover and inspected the camshafts, no debris up there and cams look good.

The right side case, and at the bottom of the case I found more real fine metal shavings and bronze stuff. I tried moving the crankshaft back and force by hand and didn't feel anything unusual, but I'm sure there is damage there.

The left side stator cover and found more fine metal debris around stator, but I don't have a flywheel puller so I couldn't go any further.

I'm going to borrow a flywheel puller tomorrow and pull the head and flywheel off. Hopefully I'll see exactly where all the debris is coming from.

I'm hoping worse case scenario: crankshaft with bearings and new top end.

What do you guys think?

Did I tell you guys how bummed I am right now. I'm going to call Suzuki tomorrow and warn them about that plastic T-fitting and ask them if they can offer some assistance on parts.

I figure I'll need a crankshaft and top end at least.

• Like 1

I see a couple of used 08 engines on eBay with the old cases. I think that maybe a cheaper alternative?

Just swap you new cases onto the old motor and good to go! There was an article in transworld where the ignition pickup had started to melt and thats what caused all of the debris in the motor.

Hey man sorry to hear about your bike.

Before you freak out and start dissasembling everything, do you have a picture of the oil filter/screens? I mean a little debris can be normal. You did catch it before it was completely out of coolant right?

Also what kind of oil were you using?

Depending upon those questions listed above, personally I would just put it back together with the new T fitting and see how it goes. Seriously. The 2 main things that may have saved it was your effort to keep the system topped off once you realized the problem and the fresh oil.

I wish the best for ya man.

This goes for anyone else, no matter what you do replace that POS stock plastic T fitting with either mine or the Zip Ty one.

Didnt Kawasaki go thriugh this in 06? Also I hear Husky is having the same issue.

• Like 1

Before you freak out and start dissasembling everything, do you have a picture of the oil filter/screens? I mean a little debris can be normal. You did catch it before it was completely out of coolant right?

Depending upon those questions listed above, personally I would just put it back together with the new T fitting and see how it goes. Seriously. The 2 main things that may have saved it was your effort to keep the system topped off once you realized the problem and the fresh oil.

This goes for anyone else, no matter what you do replace that POS stock plastic T fitting with either mine or the Zip Ty one.

Didnt Kawasaki go thriugh this in 06? Also I hear Husky is having the same issue.

Whats yours?

I change my oil frequently and the only time I have ever noticed debris was on the first oil change. As I started disassembling the engine, the more debris I found.

I ride out in remote areas were catastrophic failure is not a good option. At this point, I think it's good insurance to take it down further and inspect the lower end. I'll have the flywheel and head off tonight, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the lower end bearings.

I use Rotella oil and as I stopped the remaining coolant boiled out of my bike. I'm surprised I didn't hear any pinging, but I did notice my bike stalled real easy. Once I top off the water, I had no stalling issues.

Just swap you new cases onto the old motor and good to go! There was an article in transworld where the ignition pickup had started to melt and thats what caused all of the debris in the motor.

The radiator hoses started to melt as well, according to the article.

I've looked closely at the ignition pick up and it doesn't look like it is melting, but I'll know more tonight and I'll take some pictures.

Az520Rob on this site made some CNC machined T- fittings. I ordered one from him.

-Steve

• Like 1

They thought that was the debris in the cooling system. The debris in the oil was from the ignition pickup. I think they are wrong about the hoses melting because I had the same buildup in my water pump that they had and my coolant hoses are perfect no melting at all. But my mess also stopped at the waterpump and slightly past it. Theres went all the way up to the head.

No in the Dirt Rider article it happened at the moto track. REPLACE THIS FITTING WITH METAL!!!! DO NOT LEAVE IT ON YOUR BIKE!!! Trust me you can be lazy and hope it won't affect you. Which it might not but if it does you will seriously regret it if it does happen. Trying to clean all that crap out is not fun.

No in the Dirt Rider article it happened at the moto track. REPLACE THIS FITTING WITH METAL!!!! DO NOT LEAVE IT ON YOUR BIKE!!! Trust me you can be lazy and hope it won't affect you. Which it might not but if it does you will seriously regret it if it does happen. Trying to clean all that crap out is not fun.

I agree, so much so that I'm passing positive gas on this one. :banghead:

I personally have never overheated a bike before, but at 3.7 hours I finally replaced the plastic T on my "new" '08. The risk of it melting at the wrong time ~ or anytime!, is just too great.

So let me recommend that any z450 owner should consider replacing theirs as soon as they possibly can. The failures are frequent enough and the repairs painful enough to force any owner into making this upgrade, on their terms.

What is the purpose of these t fittings? I thought once u upgraded to. Cv4 hoses or nex hoses it got rid of that connection allowing the coolant to flow

More freely... So what is the purpose of this fitting?

Thanks

You can get just the silicone hoses that use your stock fittings. The hoses with the t's built into them are just more money.