FMF programmer on stock R2?

Any of you running the FMF programmer with the stock exhaust on the WRR? I like quiet so I dont want to change the pipe, but I would like to have a little more juice when getting up into the 10,000 ft elevations.

Just curious if the effects of the programmer would be worth it with the stock exhaust in place.

TIA.

I am interested in this thread as well .. I have the FMF programmer, but no pipe yet. i wanted to just open up the air box and add the programmer. Don't have time to pull my stock exhaust apart right now either!

Any negative effects?

i'd leave the airbox alone. just hook up the programmer and leave it in the stock settings. it'll run about right, and will increase power noticeably. don't do the ais mod, without the programmer. I think the ais keeps the cat in exhaust from burning up. do the pipe and programmer when you do the airbox. you can try disconnecting the hook that actuates the flapper door, but you'll get more popping out of the exhaust and not much more gain, if any. jmho. do the big mods at the same time. go for the sprocket fix before all that, too.

Well dino, looks like youre it.:banghead: Plug that bad boy in and let us know what you think before modding anything else.

I have to think just the programmer will make a big difference. For example, take a carb'd bike. You open the airbox, add a pipe, rejet, for what, maybe 2 hp? Now you take that same bike that had a CV carb and put an FCR pumper on it.......... very noticable difference.

Perhaps the programmer is just like that, you get power by adding fuel. of course the pipe and airbox will help quite a bit, but i would guess that programmer is by far the biggest boost to performance.

All that said, the best "power mod" that I have ever done to any bike was to gear it lower. :banghead:

I have a 46 T sprocket on the way too! .. Just wondered if anyone had simply plugged it in and rode away. It would make sense that the bike may run stronger with the addition of fuel if it is in fact "starved" for fuel to begin with, but the programmer is designed to be used with the factory setting when you add a pipe, K+N, etc. That tells me that in the stock setting, the programmer would make the bike run rich without the other mods, no??. I am sure someone is gonna show up with a definitive answer .. they always do!!

Holy crap! Got the FMF programmer installed. After a 10 minute ride to warm her up good, I went off road. Was going to blip over a little ditch in second gear, and the front wheel launched into the air! Scared the $h!t out of me!!! No more off idle hesitation after a good warm up. I'm still messing with the settings, and right now I'm working with 2.5 2.5 1 8 8 8. I'm continuing to tweak to get the lowest possible 1st 3 numbers and still eliminate the hesitation. I figure that will be the best performance vs. mpg. Mods: K&N and Air box flapper removed. Stay tuned...

Holy crap! Got the FMF programmer installed. After a 10 minute ride to warm her up good, I went off road. Was going to blip over a little ditch in second gear, and the front wheel launched into the air! Scared the $h!t out of me!!! No more off idle hesitation after a good warm up. I'm still messing with the settings, and right now I'm working with 2.5 2.5 1 8 8 8. I'm continuing to tweak to get the lowest possible 1st 3 numbers and still eliminate the hesitation. I figure that will be the best performance vs. mpg. Mods: K&N and Air box flapper removed. Stay tuned...

great! .. keep us posted on what settings seem to work best with just the K&N and the flapper mod done.

great! .. keep us posted on what settings seem to work best with just the K&N and the flapper mod done.

So, I've got the 12 tooth front sprocket on there right now. I've had that on for better than a month now. It made a difference, but I was more worried about the hesitation off idle than the low end pull. I'd say the programmer made the same amount of difference as the 12 tooth. Both together make a very exhilarating ride!

So far, in toying with the settings... I started with the 3-3-3-8-8-8 that everyone likes... And in dialing down for my basic mods, I'm seeing 2-2.5-1-8-8-8 still kills the off idle hesitation and provides the same feel as 3-3-3-8-8-8. But, I've only had one good ride so far with the programmer. I plan to ride some more this weekend if it's not raining, and try to further tune it in... So far, I'm really enjoying the programmer! the 12 tooth sprocket does make the handle bars shake just enough to give you that "buzzing" feeling when you stop for a rest. I think next I will be looking at the 46T rear, and stock 13T front to try and eliminate some of the buzzing. Stay tuned.

With the 12 tooth front sprocket I noticed an improvement in snap or torque. However it did not eliminate the off-idle stumble/hesitation. I installed the FMF programmer and after one 15 mile ride the off-idle stumble is gone. I have no other performance mods (except SM wheel set). I will be playing with the programmer to see if I can obtain additional performance gains. I'm happy with the programmer after one ride. Don't mount it near the air box if you want to make adjustments. I mounted mine off the top of the handle bar clamps so its easy to adjust "on the fly".

So do you think if I install the programmer on a completely stock bike i'll see a bit of difference? I am considering airbox mod only but I just can't bring myself to drill a hole to even close the flapper on a brand new bike. Im thinking i might go for it..

So do you think if I install the programmer on a completely stock bike i'll see a bit of difference? I am considering airbox mod only but I just can't bring myself to drill a hole to even close the flapper on a brand new bike. Im thinking i might go for it..

In my opinion you will notice a difference. Its not going to blow your doors off, but the bike seems to just run and perform better. I'm glad I got mine.