Sign in to follow this  

YZ oil change questions!?!?!?

I just finished changing the oil on my 07 yz250f. It was the first time that i ever changed the oil on a modern 4t. I followed the manual by removing both drain plugs and the filler plug and oil tank bolt. After draining all the oil and replaced the bolts and removed the oil filter cover. There was a little oil inside that trickled down the side of the bike. After replacing the filter i put in 1 liter of oil then i added a little more from another jug. (i'm not sure wether to put in 1.15 or 1.30 liters?). I then looked at the level window thing and saw fresh oil. I started the bike and let it run for about a minute. After shutting off the bike i looked at the oil level window thing and saw black oil!. Is this just because the fresh oil mixed with a little bit of the old oil that was still in the engine??

It shouldn't turn "black" that quickly, maybe a darker brown and that's probably normal. If you have THAT much old oil in there to make it turn black that quickly then you didn't drain the old oil out properly somehow...

I measured and i got a little more than 1 liter of oil out when i drained it.

your fine, its all the lubricants from when they built the bike wearing in

my bike did the same, now it doesn't, it will eventually stay it regular color

its fine to run it

Need some help guys. Just got my son a 2008 YZ250F and didn't get the manual with it. Just changed the oil and filled it with 1100cc of oil. Problem is I'm not sure how to read the window for the proper oil level. Should I being looking at the window with the bike running or not? I checked it with the bike running and I see a little bit of the window not filled at the top.

Thanks for the help