Valves louder after adjustment???

I just got around to adjusting my valves last night for the first time since I got it (about two weeks ago). The beast is a lot faster and I love that, but I noticed that I hear a lot more clacking in the top end now.

When I think about it, it makes a lot of sense that they would be louder since they are closing all the way like they should be, but I am just wondering if I SHOULD be hearing the clacking like I am.

Any thoughts? Am I just being silly?

You may want to double check that you adjusted the valves properly. One of your valves (right exhaust) may be too loose. To set the valves properly you have to get the bike to TDC without turning the motor backwards. If you so slightly turn the motor backward, it engages the autodecompression and the reading that you get on the exhaust valve will be wrong. Search on this forum for other methods people have used to adjust valves - eg. with spark plug out slowly press kick starter untill intake valves are down, at this point adjust the exhaust valves. Do similar kick rotation untill exhaust valves are down, and at this point make adjustments to the intakes.

• Like 1

Only slight ticking,really slight. if you can hear it with your helmet on while riding then theyre too loose. but make sure its at tdc with the lobes facing down before you measure. cold engine with plug out.

+1 on what thestuz said.:banghead:

It's waaaaaaaaaaay better to run valves that are loose, than ones that are too tight. You can run into some big $$ engine repairs from running them too tight. I've never heard of someone screwing up their engine from running valves that are too loose, but I've heard many a horror story about running them too tight. :banghead:

They honestly can't be all that loose. I can hear it through my helmet, but before I adjusted them I only heard very slight clacking, and they were certainly too tight. The difference in power is huge, and I had to turn the adjusters a fair amount before I could even get anything between them and the valves.